Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #151
JeffLowell

Default Re: Fatal Flaw?

I think you're onto something! I have a team of scholars running it through the Dramatica Story Engine as we speak. Expect an answer in two to three months.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #152
SuperScribe

Come on. Everybody knows the nightclub is the protagonist and the flashback is the antagonist.

Silly screenwriters.
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #153
Steven Jenkins
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
No, no. Clearly Rick is the antagonist of Casablanca.
What's the catch

Oh,who cares.
Steven Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #154
Rantanplan

Personally, my favorite scene in CASABLANCA is when the fat man swats the fly in the BLUE PARROT. I think he should have been developed into a Main Character
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #155
instant_karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post
Personally, my favorite scene in CASABLANCA is when the fat man swats the fly in the BLUE PARROT. I think he should have been developed into a Main Character
The fly or the fat man?

I can see both working.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #156
Steven Jenkins
User

I've had enough of Casablanca - who's the Protag in "A Christmas Carol"?

Is it Bob Cratchit?

Ok - laugh it up

(Sorry - this isn't a serious question!)

Last edited by Steven Jenkins : 04-01-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #157
JimHull
New User

Re: loglines for Shawshank and Casablanca

I have an idea where you are headed with this question, but before I bite...

In my estimation, loglines are about as useful to an author as the concept of "raising the stakes." They're great for development executives and the back of DVD boxes, but they don't really give a writer the tools necessary to write a complete story. They are reductive and meaningless and should not be a part of the creative process as they don't delineate any structural features of a story. Likewise, they are not a useful tool when it comes to analysis. If they did somehow communicate the true meaning behind the author's original intent, then we would all be writing loglines instead of elaborate well thought out screenplays.

That being said, I will concede that if I were to write loglines for those films, the first would center on Andy's story, the second on Rick's. Those are the most compelling parts of the story and would do well in the marketing or pitching of said story.

Loglines illustrate and summarize the most interesting or compelling parts of a story. An author may choose to emphasize any portion of a story's structure, making one element more interesting than the next, with little to no effect on the structure itself. The intensity of one does not negate the necessity of the other. Whether or not Darabont spent more time on Andy's story does not change the fact that the film is seen through Red's eyes. It is his personal perspective on the events that unfold that we as an audience share, and it is an integral part of the story's message.
JimHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #158
instant_karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHull View Post
Loglines illustrate and summarize the most interesting or compelling parts of a story. An author may choose to emphasize any portion of a story's structure, making one element more interesting than the next, with little to no effect on the structure itself. The intensity of one does not negate the necessity of the other. Whether or not Darabont spent more time on Andy's story does not change the fact that the film is seen through Red's eyes. It is his personal perspective on the events that unfold that we as an audience share, and it is an integral part of the story's message.
I still don't see anything here that goes against the idea that Red is simply the Narrator, telling the story of Andy, the Protagonist.

If you don't think Red's role fits this already pretty well established storytelling device, could you please explain why.

It seems like you're trying to sell a new paradigm to replace one that currently works perfectly well.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #159
Steven Jenkins
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
I've had enough of Casablanca - who's the Protag in "A Christmas Carol"?

Is it Bob Cratchit?

Ok - laugh it up

(Sorry - this wasn't a serious question!)
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #160
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant_karma View Post
I still don't see anything here that goes against the idea that Red is simply the Narrator, telling the story of Andy, the Protagonist.

If you don't think Red's role fits this already pretty well established storytelling device, could you please explain why.

It seems like you're trying to sell a new paradigm to replace one that currently works perfectly well.
here's my take that i posted several pages back.

redd talks about how he spent so many years inside that he didn't think he could survive in the real world. remember when the first old guy got released and hung himself? redd thought he was on that same path but andy's desire to get out of that prison even after 17 years inspired him to survive out there. that's why redd is the protagonist and andy is the main character.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote