Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
docgonzo

Default Jeff Portnoy/Bellevue Productions

Has anyone here ever been repped by him or know someone who was/is a client? Just want some overall impressions on him as a manager, if he's good to work with, etc. Thanks.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
ClintW3
Regular

Default Re: Jeff Portnoy/Bellevue Productions

You may find this helpful.

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/jeffportnoy/

The "Scripts & Scribes" website/podcast features dozens of interviews with managers and agents. Good stuff.
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
docgonzo

Yeah, I've listened to that already. I'm more interested in personal dealings good, bad or indifferent. Thanks, though.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
nativeson

I'm thinking of renewing The Creative Index. VPF is adding up (doh!).
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
asteven50
Regular

Jeff is a great guy with great taste. I spoke with him and John Z. when I was in between managers. Things didn't work out but I have a lot of respect for both of them.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintW3 View Post
You may find this helpful.

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/jeffportnoy/

The "Scripts & Scribes" website/podcast features dozens of interviews with managers and agents. Good stuff.
Yeah, that was good stuff. I love it when the podcast has on a manager....they usually have the most interesting things to say because of their unique vantage point of developing writers long term.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
mikeyP
New User

Both good guys who are always open to good projects. Jeff bounced around a bit until he landed with John, and together I think they cover a lot in film and tv. Good team to have on your side.
mikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #8
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyP View Post
Both good guys who are always open to good projects. Jeff bounced around a bit until he landed with John, and together I think they cover a lot in film and tv. Good team to have on your side.
Do you know that from direct experience? Just asking because there's interest from him in something I wrote.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
Ronaldinho

I have a friend who is repped with Jeff who feels like Jeff is just sort of waiting for him to come up with something new. To be fair, my friend has been focusing on other work recently, but he's a guy who has credits and I would characterize him as moderately disappointed with Jeff's work representing him. He does have a script of two that it would make sense, in my opinion, to go out with.

I have another friend who is repped with John Z. The thing about him is that he is incredibly hands-on. Like, wants to meet with each of his writers every week, see pages, offers a lot of notes, etc. He sometimes has strong opinions about which way material should go which, having seen drafts before and after notes, I don't completely agree with. My friend is often very positive about his notes at other times.

One important thing to keep in mind, however: somebody can be a mediocre rep for person A and a great rep for person B. There isn't a single rep in this town who doesn't have former (or current) clients who are moderately disappointed with him or her. There is no rep in the world who can do great things for a writer who isn't also being a great client.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
I have a friend who is repped with Jeff who feels like Jeff is just sort of waiting for him to come up with something new. To be fair, my friend has been focusing on other work recently, but he's a guy who has credits and I would characterize him as moderately disappointed with Jeff's work representing him. He does have a script of two that it would make sense, in my opinion, to go out with.

I have another friend who is repped with John Z. The thing about him is that he is incredibly hands-on. Like, wants to meet with each of his writers every week, see pages, offers a lot of notes, etc. He sometimes has strong opinions about which way material should go which, having seen drafts before and after notes, I don't completely agree with. My friend is often very positive about his notes at other times.

One important thing to keep in mind, however: somebody can be a mediocre rep for person A and a great rep for person B. There isn't a single rep in this town who doesn't have former (or current) clients who are moderately disappointed with him or her. There is no rep in the world who can do great things for a writer who isn't also being a great client.
Cool, that was helpful. Thanks.