Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

Re: Juno - Playing Everywhere Christmas Day

Thanks, I'm feeling quite corky now ...

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
        JayKid-

I get the feeling your review is a pretty accurate assessment of the movie.

But what is "corkiness"

Quirky?... cocky?... a combo of the two?

Haha, past 3 am, I am clearly not thinking straight. Meant quirkiness. For some reason thought in my head cork instead of quirk. Wow, wtf.

Although, that alternate definiton of corky does in fact work here a bit I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian View Post
          Where did you see 3750? According to the link Stvnla provided its average is over 11, 000.
          That's weird, I looked at Box office Mojo--maybe I saw the chart for the previous weekend or something. You're absolutely right about the 11k, and the L.A. Times this morning had it averaging 22k last weekend.

My mother saw it with her friends and they all thought it was "delightful" so that pretty much guarantees an Oscar.

Comment

I think, merits aside, it is a lock to win best original screenplay.

Comment

I was looking at Juno in a painting recently.

Can you imagine sitting on the hilltops of Greece, watching your flock?

The most beautiful sight you ever beheld appears before you: a virgin goddess. Shedding her clothing, she steps close towards you and asks, "Who is the fairest?"

Before you can reply, a second goddess arrives, the queen of the gods herself, no less. In a state of complete nudity, she approaches, asking the same question.

To make your day complete, yet one more goddess appears. It is Venus, goddess of Love. She also would like the answer to the same question.

Can you imagine the expression on that shepherds face?
              Last edited by yeehi; 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Hey, Diablo is now my friend! At least on My Space....

http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Juno made 10 million this weekend in just under 1000 theatres.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

She was named "Entertainer of the Year" in our local newspaper...

http://www.startribune.com/entertain.../12870171.html

Cody 'cracked a door open and everything was Technicolor'

If screenwriter Diablo Cody makes good on her promise, she could be a presence in American filmmaking for years to come.

By COLIN COVERT, Star Tribune

Sometimes choosing the Star Tribune's Artist of the Year is contentious. This time it was easy. If screenwriter Diablo Cody makes good on her promise, she could be a presence in American filmmaking for years to come.

"Juno," her comedy about a knocked-up Minnesota teenager, knocked over the nation's top critics like tenpins. It was named one of the 10 best films of 2007 by the American Film Institute and the National Board of Review, which gave Cody its best original screenplay prize. Cody is up for the Golden Globes and Spirit Awards screenwriting prizes, and a front-runner for an Academy Award. And so far "Juno" has been a staggering success at art-house box offices.

All this for a first script she dashed off in two months. OK, beginner's luck. Except that in the past two years she's sold three more original screenplays, script-doctored a fourth project, and was handpicked by (cue the heavenly choir) Steven Spielberg to write and executive-produce his Showtime series "The United States of Tara," about a housewife (Toni Collette) with multiple personalities. Blurring the line between screenwriter and celebrity, she just joined Stephen King as a regular back-page columnist for Entertainment Weekly. Meanwhile, she's at work on a book about her adventures in Hollywood.

"I feel like I'm living 'The Wizard of Oz,'" she said. "There was a day when I cracked a door open and everything was Technicolor. It was a very frightening place but a very beautiful place, too, as Dorothy says." At times, she said, she feels as splintered and scattered as the heroine of the Spielberg series.

To nitpickers who point out that our honoree was a Chicagoan through 2003, when she moved to Minneapolis as a 24-year-old office worker, and that she made Los Angeles her permanent residence last July, we say, fair enough. But it was here that the young woman born Brook Busey became the multimedia phenomenon known as Diablo Cody. It was here that she began stripping on a lark, gathering up the experiences that informed her popular, profane blog. It was here that she wove those battlefield tales into her 2006 memoir "Candy Girl," that she became a professional writer for City Pages and that she banged out "Juno" in the Starbucks annex at the Crystal SuperTarget.

"I became a writer in Minneapolis; that's why I called myself a Minnesota-based writer," she said. "You can't get rid of me!"

"Juno" is a cornucopia of references to Stillwater, Ridgedale Mall and the Vikings. Her next film, the comic horror flick "Jennifer's Body," is set in rural Minnesota. She's also producing it, and if state officials offer the right incentives, she'd love to film it here in March, she said.

Cody has already been approached to direct one of her own scripts and passed because she didn't feel ready. But directing is her goal, and it probably won't be long before she yells "Action!"

"To me, the best aspect of the whole circus is that I am female and this doesn't happen to women very often," she said. "Women's stories are just not being told. We need a female Holden Caulfield or a female Travis Bickle. The iconic characters of film are mostly male.

"A lot of times if you write a chick flick they'll bring a guy in to do a 'guy polish,' to establish a more jocular tone that will bring the boyfriends and husbands in alongside the women. Whereas I've never heard of a 'chick polish.' They're never nervous about alienating women."

That rankles Cody, and she hopes to change the ghettoization of female characters. It appears she's being taken seriously. Last month she was the only neophyte, and the only woman, on a screenwriting panel with Oscar winners Paul Haggis, Ronald Harwood and Ben Affleck.

Now she has the contacts, if she needs them, to get some pointers for her own Oscar speech.

Comment

saw it tonight.

started off keeping me at a distance with scenes that were overwrought with witty dialogue from every single player in the scene...making it seem unreal and rehearsed ( I blame Reitman for this since he allowed the same to happen in Thank you For Not Smoking).

However...

after about 15 minutes, the undeniable heart of the character and film begins to suck you in despite the dialog trying so hard and before you know it...you're in.

By the time the film was over I was totally charmed. This is a beautiful little maturation plot style story with wonderful subplots involving the parents-to-be and the hero's currents parents.

Totally dug it.

s

Comment

Originally posted by Route66
                        I bet he was thinking, "Oh, thine Goddesses what fat @sses you have, what has Zeus been feeding you?"
                        I agree. Thank god for evolution.

Comment

I finally got to see this, today. It's a gorgeous little film, charming, touching, offbeat and the tone was so fresh. I certainly didn't feel the actors/director overcame a poor script, but that they matched its weird beauty, which made the film even better than I'd hoped it would be.
                          Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Did they show the baby coming out of Juno's belly button?
                            "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Um, yeeah. I think I hear my mom calling. So.
                              Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

You're silly.
                                "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Working...
                                X