Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Norton get fired?

Marvel Studios is going in a new direction for the Hulk, replacing Norton who starred in 2008's "The Incredible Hulk- ... Marvel indicated their decision was not about salary, as sources had indicated originally, but "instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members.-
    I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Re: Did Norton get fired?

His agent says no

"This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.

We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige's mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige's statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel's fans.

Brian Swardstrom
    WME"
    I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Going off on a tangent, they should use Peter David's "intelligent" Hulk as the basis for any future film. A genuine re-boot.
      @MacBullitt

Comment

wouldn't an intelligient hulk be the blue guy from the X-MEN. Hulk plays much better inside and ensemble.

Hulk is pretty much frankenstein. Can you have the hulk walking around solving good will hunting proofs?
        You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Originally posted by THEUGLYDUCKLING View Post
          wouldn't an intelligient hulk be the blue guy from the X-MEN. Hulk plays much better inside and ensemble.

Hulk is pretty much frankenstein. Can you have the hulk walking around solving good will hunting proofs?
          You're thinking of The Beast, Ug.

The Hulk was really good fun in David's hands. A long time since I read them, but I recall along the way he worked as a mob enforcer and a wise-cracking reluctant hero. The conflict with Banner remained, but it happened inside the Hulk's head, with the Hulk in a constant battle to keep Banner suppressed, and not change back, because he hated Banner.

The comic books are definitely worth picking up in their collected editions.

From wiki:
          David became the writer of the series with issue #331 (May 1987), marking the start of a 12-year tenure. David's run altered Banner's pre-Hulk characterization and the nature of the relationship between Banner and the Hulk. David returned to the Stern and Mantlo abuse storyline, expanding the damage caused, and depicting Banner as suffering dissociative identity disorder (DID). David's stories showed that Banner had serious mental problems long before he became the Hulk. David revamped the personality significantly, giving the grey Hulk the alias 'Joe Fixit', and setting him up as a morally ambiguous Vegas enforcer and tough guy. David worked with numerous artists over his run on the series, including Dale Keown, Todd McFarlane, Sam Kieth, Gary Frank, Liam Sharp, Terry Dodson, Mike Deodato, George Pérez, and Adam Kubert.[11]

In issue #377 (Jan 1991), David revamped the Hulk again, using a storyline involving hypnosis to have the splintered personalities of Banner and Hulk synthesize into a new Hulk, who has the vast power of the Savage Hulk, the cunning of the grey Hulk, and the intelligence of Bruce Banner.
          Last edited by Twofingeredtypist; 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM. Reason: Wiki bits to help poor memory
          @MacBullitt

Comment

If they want to preserve some continuity, then they should rehire Eric Bana. In spite of what opinions are regarding Ang Lee's Hulk, at least Bana's played the role and is familar to fans.

I really hate when they recast characters between films. Completely pulls me out of the illusion. All I keep thinking is, "That's not the same actor." "Why are you here?"
            Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
            Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
            Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

I like Edward Norton's movies, especially The Painted Veil.

However, I preferred Ang Lee's Hulk with Bana as Hulk. I know, I know...I'm in the minority...
              HL

Comment

Somewhere between both HULK movies was a good one. It's like they overcorrected and removed the character stuff for Norton's version.

The thing that shocked me about the Marvel quote was that it wasn't "creative differences" or something polite. Norton is famous for rewriting scripts he is cast in and wanting to control the film. So, maybe that doesn't work well when you are dealing with a team movie and a writer-director?

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

the beast is the smart hulk, he's blue.

that's what i'm saying. hulks a brooding savant. that's what he is. keep him that way. dumb him up a little.
                  You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

News now is they have asked Phoenix to do it.
                    I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

that'd be interesting. all they would have to do is shoot the film between his worldwide rap tours.
                      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

An actor as talented as Norton deserves better roles, like 25th Hour and American History X type stuff, and not putzing around in a Hulk movie that was only made because the first one sucked so bad.

Norton should be headlining, not opening for Vanilla Ice.

Comment

Originally posted by THEUGLYDUCKLING View Post
                          the beast is the smart hulk, he's blue.

that's what i'm saying. hulks a brooding savant. that's what he is. keep him that way. dumb him up a little.

Originally posted by stuy View Post
                          News now is they have asked Phoenix to do it.

Get ready

Comment

They should've replaced him with Michael Cera.
                            Nobody's perfect.

Comment

now the talks are mark ruffalo. i love this guy.
                              http://www.imdb.com/news/ni3320900/
                              if he gets the part i just might check it out. he seems right for the part too -- soft spoken and quiet.

Comment

Working...
                              X