Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
docgonzo

Default Re: Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgialover View Post
Not a WGA member, but can/should I continue to query my feature specs? Or is that a waste of time right now if there is a looming strike?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
If you're talking about finding a rep, that's probably okay. They'll have some time on their hands!
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 AM   #12
ProfessorChomp
Regular

Maybe ask your reps and lawyer whether there's a chance of getting at least a CoA in place so you can be commenced.

I'm scrambling to deliver a draft in time to invoice pre-strike. It has to get through the producer read first, though, so it's gonna be tight.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
Danigirl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdynamite666 View Post
Hey all
I'm a WGA member and it looks like we are gonna be striking.

I just sold a pitch last week. Not sure what the offer is yet. Our lawyers haven't even started negotiating yet, let alone drafting the contract.

How will it play out with regards to the strike?

Is it in my best interest to speed the deal up and try and get it signed asap so that I can get paid commencement (at the very least)?

If we do indeed strike, would I be breaching my WGA status by completing the assignment? Or is it just that I can't turn any work in while the strike is happening- which obviously doesn't preclude me from actually working on material

Thoughts appreciated!

MD

Congrats!

Mercury is about to go retrograde. Never sign a contract during mercury retrograde. Wait til Mercury goes direct in about a month or so.

And certainly don't do anything against WGA guidelines.
Danigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
sallain
Regular

I'm also WGA and I have an option contract that's been going back and forth between lawyers for almost 2 months. (We did the initial discussion and agreed verbally to terms, so I don't know what's taking so long to get the actual contract written.) My question is: am I allowed to sign the contract and receive payment if the contract isn't completed until after the strike begins? I wrote the actual script a long time ago.

There are terms in the contract for re-writes, so I assume if the producer wants one I won't be able to write that until after the strike ends, correct?
sallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #15
jimjimgrande

That's a good question for the guild.

It's possible they may want to close the option so that they can try to get a director or actor attached during a work stoppage.

And guild rules say no writing for studios (and producers) during a strike.

jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #16
bjamin

what are the odds this strike only benefits the top-tier writers, and leaves the rest of us grabbing for straws? Much like the last strike (2007-08) did.
bjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #17
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamin View Post
what are the odds this strike only benefits the top-tier writers, and leaves the rest of us grabbing for straws? Much like the last strike (2007-08) did.
Jurisdiction over streaming/digital was huge and benefits all writers working on those platforms. That was the big win from the last strike. What are the top-tier-only benefits that came out of the 07-08 agreement? The O&E elements of the last agreement didn't help the top-tier at all. Of course that's mostly TV.

Listen to the chairs of the negotiating committee discuss where we are now on the latest episode of 3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
bjamin

and it only cost the spec market
bjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #19
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjamin View Post
and it only cost the spec market
The feature business was hurting before that. The bottom dropped out of the home video market due to streaming. Without all those DVD/Blue-Ray pre-sales, the mid level movies disappeared. There's still a market for low-budget indies, but the studios gave up on mid-budget films and focused on tent-poles, animated family films, and hi-concept comedies for the most part.

The business has changed, and will continue to change. Twenty years of spec scripts being king was a pretty good run. The companies hated getting into bidding wars, and so they reshaped the business so their costs and profits are more stable and tilted in their direction. Average writers' income is down 23% and the profits of the media corporations have doubled. Don't blame the strike. Blame Netflix, corporate greed, and the media consumption habits of America.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #20
SBdeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
The business has changed, and will continue to change. Twenty years of spec scripts being king was a pretty good run. The companies hated getting into bidding wars, and so they reshaped the business so their costs and profits are more stable and tilted in their direction. Average writers' income is down 23% and the profits of the media corporations have doubled. Don't blame the strike. Blame Netflix, corporate greed, and the media consumption habits of America.

Steve, maybe this is the place to ask-- I'd like to understand why and how the last strike proved to be so cataclysmic to the industry (from everything that I've heard.)
SBdeb is offline   Reply With Quote