Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2020, 03:06 AM   #91
Merrick
User

Default Re: Reformatting from left-justified

Thanks for appreciating! I stepped away from working on it for many months, which is why I disappeared. But I think that helped.

I've been able to delete a lot of lines and small concepts very easily as a lot of it is less precious now.

Getting feedback from a wide group was very important, as I could see which characters people were identifying with / intrigued by and which not.

Overwriting in my case was very helpful. In the final draft, only the best stuff will remain. And I learned a lot of lessons along the way.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #92
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Update to everyone who hammered me on this point: I got the beast down from what was originally ~240 pages to 121.

I'm working on draft 6 now in advance of submitting to Nicholl and Sundance.

We'll see where it ends up at the end of this draft, but the impossible became possible. Thanks to many comments and encouragements from friends and associates. I also hired a subject matter consultant that helped on focusing in on certain issues and discarding others.

Getting through this draft is proving torturous for me, so there's no way I'll do another draft after this. Thought the page count would at least make you folks proud.
See? I knew you could do it. I'm glad to hear that you kept working on it and you didn't give up. That's commendable. And congratulations on getting it down to 121.

Good luck with your submissions.
FA4

www.LisaMolusis.com

Last edited by finalact4 : 02-19-2020 at 06:31 AM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #93
Merrick
User

Thanks Lisa!
Old 04-06-2020, 02:50 AM   #94
Merrick
User

I've been working two months on this, doing two straight drafts in a row (on draft 7 now) to try to get it perfect for Nicholl.

Believe it or not, it's currently a tight 90 pages. I'm overall very happy with acts 1 & 2 and just need a tiny bit of tweaking, which will hardly affect page count.

I'm about to dig in and do a major overhaul on act 3 in advance of the contest.

This is my final draft until it gets any forward movement (producer, agent, manager, investment).
Old 04-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #95
ComicBent

Congratulations!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:24 AM   #96
Merrick
User

Thanks very much. It's definitely way more efficient now. I'll let you know the final page count once I submit to Nicholl. That's where I will cap it.

I managed to quickly restructure and rewrite the 3rd act now. It's at 93 pages. So, with some adding and deleting, the final will end up in the 85-95 range, no doubt.

This has been an adventure.

And oh yeah, Fade In has been a fantastic program. Glad I bought it. Worth the money even if just for this script alone.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #97
ComicBent

Quote:
Fade In has been a fantastic program. Glad I bought it. Worth the money even if just for this script alone.
I am sure that Kent Tessman, the programmer of Fade In (@fadeinsoftware on Twitter), would be delighted to hear that.

And now that you have written a screenplay, you are a veteran and you can write some more scripts.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:08 AM   #98
Merrick
User

Haha! Yes, thank you. I need a break after this one. But we'll see, maybe try again later this year.

Unfortunately, I do not have a personal Twitter account.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #99
Merrick
User

Welp, I ended up at 87 pages. Feel like I could've used a few extra days on it, but I'm totally beat. Thanks for the wild ride, all.