Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Agent **** List

Here's a great link I found, with a blacklisting of agents not to query.
    http://www.sfwa.org/beware/twentyworst.html
    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 09-25-2007, 03:08 AM.
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: The Agent Sh!t List

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
    Here's a great link I found, with a blacklisting of agents not to query.
    http://www.sfwa.org/beware/twentyworst.html
    These are primarily literary agents, Terrance. The first rule, though, is never approach an agent who charges a fee. The second one is to walk away if the so-called agent demands changes and then refers you to a company that will charge you for doing them. A good agent will always ask you, the author, to make the changes.

Comment

Re: The Agent **** List

Writers' Literary Agency & Marketing Company (a.k.a. WL Writers' Literary Agency), formerly The Literary Agency Group, which includes the following:
      -Christian Literary Agency
      -New York Literary Agency
      -Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency, formerly Sydra-Techniques)
      -WL Children's Agency (a.k.a. Children's Literary Agency)
      -WL Poet's Agency (a.k.a. Poet's Literary Agency)
      -WL Screenplay Agency (a.k.a. The Screenplay Agency)
      -Writers' Literary & Publishing Services Company (the editing arm of the above-mentioned agencies)

Oh man! They just requested my screenplay!

Comment

Thankfully I've never heard of ANY of these agencies.
        Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
        Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

Originally posted by LisaJohnTre View Post
          Writers' Literary Agency & Marketing Company (a.k.a. WL Writers' Literary Agency), formerly The Literary Agency Group, which includes the following:
          -Christian Literary Agency
          -New York Literary Agency
          -Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency, formerly Sydra-Techniques)
          -WL Children's Agency (a.k.a. Children's Literary Agency)
          -WL Poet's Agency (a.k.a. Poet's Literary Agency)
          -WL Screenplay Agency (a.k.a. The Screenplay Agency)
          -Writers' Literary & Publishing Services Company (the editing arm of the above-mentioned agencies)

Oh man! They just requested my screenplay!
          ALWAYS google the crap out of anyone or anything. Some of these should be prosecuted for fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
            ALWAYS google the crap out of anyone or anything. Some of these should be prosecuted for fraud.
            They haven't asked for any money, and say that they never will. They only would ask for 10% if the script sells. I would like to know what the complaints are about the agency. Besides the article above is from sci-fi and fantasy writers, which is outside of my genre. I'd give them a chance to represent, as long as they don't ask for money, or like the above poster said, REFER me to someone to charge me.

Comment

these are lit agents, no? That's why you don't see CAA (which you wouldn't anyway) or anyone else you recognize. This list was taken from The Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers of America - so I don't see an agent on this list that would handle entertainment. I could be wrong. Probably am. But this list is not really applicable to most DDers is the point. Somebody else publishes a black list of screenwriting agents and managers to avoid, I do believe. Though I could probably name a few right off the top of my head to be honest. I cringe when a client tells me they've had interest from one of those scheisters.

Julie Gray

Comment

Only 10%? A bargain by today's standards. (Most literary agents take 15%.) Would I sign with them? Not on your life.

Comment

Screenplay literary agents can only take 10% by law in the United States. To avoid that restriction, some simply become managers.

Comment

FYI, book agents take 15%. They used to take 10% until ten or so years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by dgl View Post
                      Screenplay literary agents can only take 10% by law in the United States. To avoid that restriction, some simply become managers.
                      My management company's fee is 10%....

Comment

Originally posted by LisaJohnTre View Post
                        They haven't asked for any money, and say that they never will. They only would ask for 10% if the script sells. I would like to know what the complaints are about the agency.
                        WL have been at this scam a long time.

Google is your friend. Try googling ["WL Screenplay Agency" complaints]

A while ago there was a competition to see who could write something so bad that it WOULDN'T be accepted.
                        I don't think anyone succeeded.

They even thought that the logline "A fish of soap reflected green velvet and turned on the wooly log" was for a script worth requesting.

If you want to read a great summary, try this:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight...es/007246.html

It includes a screenplay described as “WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THIRTEEN TWELVE YEAROLDS FIND A RED BIKE AND A MYSTIC CRYSTAL OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL DOORS ONE DAY? AN DAVENTURE OF MISTICAL PROPORTIONS!” .. and a script that was purposely as incompetent as possible.

They liked it.

Don't bother with them. In all the years they have been running, there has been no evidence of them EVER attempting to sell a script - but they do continually get the authors to pay for critiques, editing fees etc ... just to another company!

Run .. Run ... Run

Mac
                        New blogposts:
                        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
                          "A fish of soap reflected green velvet and turned on the wooly log" Mac
                          hey, that DOES sound like a good read.

s

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
                            They even thought that the logline "A fish of soap reflected green velvet and turned on the wooly log" was for a script worth requesting.
                            I see only one problem with that logline:

The velvet should be red.
                            "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Working...
                            X