Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing expectations...

So, they like it, they REALLY like it. Everyone from top to bottom at the shop likes it and they want to set up a call next week to "formulate a plan with their development people." I'm just curious what are some of the different ways that people on here deal with the anticipation and excitement of this situation.

I've been in this situation before and had it go south unfortunately so I try not to get TOO excited. But this is a major shop that could definitely get this project made and more to the general point of just what are some ways to keep from building it up so high that if it doesn't work out you don't wind up crushed and broken clutching your toilet in a heroin induced haze...

Re: Managing expectations...

No experience with going to this point yet so I have no advice to offer, but congratulations!
    Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Firstly, congratulations, sounds like you're well on your way. To answer your question, your subject says it all, manage your expectations. As a writer who's been lead down the same road on multiple occasions I can honestly say, I won't even crack a smile until my bank account confirms the sale or option.

I've literally sat in front of half a dozen suits on a huge deal with papers to sign and had it pulled off the table by the end of the conversation. I'm probably the most jaded dude on these boards. Be proud of your progress but manage your expectations and hold the flipping out for when you sign on the dotted line...or better yet, when your bank account confirms the deal. Then, lose your mind!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
        Firstly, congratulations, sounds like you're well on your way. To answer your question, your subject says it all, manage your expectations. As a writer who's been lead down the same road on multiple occasions I can honestly say, I won't even crack a smile until my bank account confirms the sale or option.

I've literally sat in front of half a dozen suits on a huge deal with papers to sign and had it pulled off the table by the end of the conversation. I'm probably the most jaded dude on these boards. Be proud of your progress but manage your expectations and hold the flipping out for when you sign on the dotted line...or better yet, when your bank account confirms the deal. Then, lose your mind!

Good luck!
        Hey, Telly! Long time, no read.

What happened with your deal?
        "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
          So, they like it, they REALLY like it. Everyone from top to bottom at the shop likes it and they want to set up a call next week to "formulate a plan with their development people." I'm just curious what are some of the different ways that people on here deal with the anticipation and excitement of this situation.

I've been in this situation before and had it go south unfortunately so I try not to get TOO excited. But this is a major shop that could definitely get this project made and more to the general point of just what are some ways to keep from building it up so high that if it doesn't work out you don't wind up crushed and broken clutching your toilet in a heroin induced haze...
          DB....Huge congrats!

First, practice your "looks" in a mirror. Bored. Slightly interested. Curious. As if you're holding four aces and not a pair of threes.

Second. Take account of all the things that make your day to day life worthwhile. The little things. Because not only will they be there when you wake up the morning of the meeting, they'll also still be there when you go to bed that night. They can't take those away.

Third. Scope out a very isolated room in the building where you can rush to afterward to either do your happy dance or punch the walls(dry wall is better than concrete, trust me).

Four. Breath. In. Out. In. Out...Repeat as necessary.

Midnite

Comment

Think of yourself as a plumber with thier own business. You hope people are going to call you to come fix their pipes. One job leads to the next job which leads to the next job. You're grateful for every opportunity. Some jobs are easier then others. There are some jobs you put a bid on but somebody undercuts you or has a friend of a friend who is better conected and gets the job contract. But at the end of the day you're still a plumber. You wake up a plumber and you go to bed a plumber. Anybody asks what you do, you say, "I'm a plumber." The plumbers I know don't get too worked up over their next job. It's a job. It's what they've trained for and what they're prepared for. They're ready. And most importantly, when the job is over, they move onto the next one.

Now replace the word "plumber" with "script writer" and "job" for "screenplay"... you get the idea....

Good luck and why aren't you writing your next script?

Comment

Think of yourself as a plumber with thier own business. You hope people are going to call you to come fix their pipes. One job leads to the next job which leads to the next job. You're grateful for every opportunity. Some jobs are easier then others. There are some jobs you put a bid on but somebody undercuts you or has a friend of a friend who is better conected and gets the job contract. But at the end of the day you're still a plumber. You wake up a plumber and you go to bed a plumber. Anybody asks what you do, you say, "I'm a plumber." The plumbers I know don't get too worked up over their next job. It's a job. It's what they've trained for and what they're prepared for. They're ready. And most importantly, when the job is over, they move onto the next one.

Now replace the word "plumber" with "script writer" and "job" for "screenplay"... you get the idea....
              This certainly makes perfect sense and is a good analogy, but I beg to differ...screenwriting is a creative field. Creative fields are a bit different, IMO...you have to treat each script you write/assignment you're hired for as more than just a "job". You need to inflict it with personal themes and you have to be passionate about it. It must be a part of you...to me, this is more than a job. A job is simply something I do to pay the bills...screenwriting is a way of life and my passion.

Comment

When I first started writing, I had huge expectations. This all stemmed from a producer who kept saying, "We're going to make this movie", all the way down to how much % I would get if toy figures were ever made of my characters. Now, no matter how much someone likes what I write, I may not even smile. I just keep swimming, just keep swi... err... writing and doing other things. Not only have I limited my expectations from money in the bank, but now as far as a screener in my DVD player or a ticket to the premier of the movie. So much **** happens in D.Hell.

Comment

Originally posted by odriftwood View Post

Good luck and why aren't you writing your next script?
                  If being a working plumber were anywhere near as competitive or high paying as being a working screenwriter I'm sure they'd be a lot more excited about fixing their next shitter.

As for my next script I've already written 4 so far this year so I think some time spent marketing myself is probably in order.

Comment

If being a working plumber were anywhere near as competitive or high paying as being a working screenwriter I'm sure they'd be a lot more excited about fixing their next shitter.
                    I think if you removed the outliers, those writers who make substantially more than the rest (a fairly small percentage), then I bet the average writer doesn't make much more than the average plumber, in LA at least.
                    Last edited by dgl; 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Understand that it probably won't go anywhere. Work on your other scripts, realize that life is bigger than movies. The only way to survive Hollywood and stay sane is to live a life of no highs and no lows.

Comment

take up kickboxing (or some other strenuous fat burning muscle building sport) so when you do win an academy award for screenwriting at least you'll look really good on the red carpet. and if the screenwriting career never pans out at least you'll look good.

Comment

Originally posted by dgl View Post
                          I think if you removed the outliers, those writers who make substantially more than the rest (a fairly small percentage), then I bet the average writer doesn't make much more than the average plumber, in LA at least.

So true... I know a couple of guys who are plumbers. They AVERAGE six figures every year. Granted, they own their own trucks and tools.

But I also know a few guys who have sold scripts for six figures or worked on TV staffs... They got six figures for those gigs... But the fallow time in between has made it so they haven't come close to AVERAGING six figures over a multi-year period.

Plumbing is steady work -- cuz no matter what -- people gotta Sh*t.

Comment

Yeah, the whole notion that people have of "making it" is quite flawed. Some think that if you sell a script you're initiated into a lucrative, exclusive club as a life-member, but most writers have to hustle for their entire career. The last stats I saw of average guild member earnings was in the $30,000-$40,000 range. CA school teachers make around $60,000. The screenwriters who average six figures a year for their career -- you can probably count them on both hands. Maybe some toes.

I wonder what the odds are of being one of those guys? I have no idea, but I can take a wild, completely unfounded guess:

Maybe 1% of 1% of U.S. screenwriters will make a significant screenplay or teleplay deal in their lifetime, and of them maybe 1% will have a career lasting more than 5 consecutive years. Those numbers are probably way inflated though. And meaningless.

A first year lawyer fresh out of law school is almost guaranteed at least 70 grand with significant boosts every year. A fifth year lawyer is making around $150-200,000 a year at a decent firm in LA. So anybody trying to get into screenwriting solely for the money (probably nobody here) should really consider a different line of work.

Bottom line, you better condition yourself for uncertainty early on if you're going to be a professional writer. Most of your ideas will go nowhere, most of your scripts won't sell, and most of your deals will fall through. We will fail far more often than we succeed. But we pick ourselves up (after a few beers and some whining), and we start all over again. Why? Because screenwriters are delusional masochists. But we are also the ultimate optimists.

Comment

honestly, and i don't want to be the resident jerk here, but i'd consider, strongly, changing your name.

Introducing your self as Mr. Dirtbottle is really tacky.

break-a-leg.
                              You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Working...
                              X