Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Commentary Disguised...

... as genre, or social commentary wrapped in a genre.

Example:

It Follows might be a warning against non-commitment in an era of killer sexually-transmitted diseases. Who knows. Just made that up.

But I'm talking about a genre, or maybe a genre with one sub-genre (eg. horror-comedy) that is a disguise for a major social message. Not talking about pure social commentary that borders on documentary.

I've written a few features like this, and I figure they're a tough sell. But they're among my favorites because there's more going on that meets the eye and expect the audience to think, beyond being pounded by visual flare-ups and sonic booms.

There are tons and tons out there, so what are your faves? No budget or language limitations, and can be from any era.

Re: Social Commentary Disguised...

The It Follows social commentary angle doesn't work as the writer/director purposefully set out to invert the horror trope of 'promiscuous characters die, virginial ones live' - not send out a moralistic message musing the merits of monogamy.

Social commentary? Sure. Society (1989) springs immediately to mind.
    2004's superb Dawn of the Dead, too. Far more so than the original's threadbare nod to consumerism (literally, just two lines in the entire film).
    Eden Lake, 2008, makes for grim viewing in light of real-life hoodie hooligans.
    And whilst not a horror film per se, Liam Neeson's immense The Grey operates on multiple levels and has a lot to say.
    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Starship Troopers, Robocop, They Live

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        Starship Troopers, Robocop, They Live
        Yes to all! I didn't get They Live at all, first viewing, but it's since become maybe my favorite low budget social commentary sci-fi, and Roddy Piper is such a darned ordinary hero.

My overall fave, 12 Monkeys, also has a lot of blind-obedience-to-authority stuff going on, along with a treatise on consumerism - both of which were big parts of Fight Club a couple of years later. (Pitt plays a similar character in both)

Comment

El Hoyo (The Platform) 2019 written by David Desola and Pedro Rivero, directed by Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I've not seen them, but how about:
            Get Out [2017]
            Us [2019]
            Parasite [2019]

I can't recall whether or not Funny Games [1997] and Funny Games [2007] say much about wider society.
            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Here's a few:

CB4 (1993)
              I'm gonna get you sucka (1988)
              Josie and the *****cats (2001)

Mother! (2017)
              The Hunt (2020)
              Requiem for a dream (2000)
              Planet of the apes (1968)

Comment

there was a scene in a movie (who's name I can't recall and not even sure if I watched the whole movie) about the genesis and generation of the Bradley IFV. It started as a stripped down infantry battle taxi and ended up as a hugely expensive "thing" bigger than a main battle tank after everyone had put forwards their 10c worth and accommodations had been made to vested interests. It was from the POV of the designers seeing their sleek cheap effective design become what they considered a behemoth.

not sure if it was social commentary or reality...

I'll try and locate a link later on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
                Last edited by Southern_land; 05-15-2020, 01:20 AM.
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Even though it was a series on tv and not a movie, I feel Battlestar Galactica (2004) should be included on this thread as it was filled with social commentary.

Throughout the series they touched upon many social topics including class, race, economics, politics, prisoner treatment, prejudices, etc.

If you have never seen this remake of the original by Ronald Moore please do if you get the chance. It is wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                    there was a scene in a movie (who's name I can't recall and not even sure if I watched the whole movie) ...
                    I saw this, but also can't remember the name, who's in it, etc. to jog my memory.

This is a good thread. I didn't mention satires, but of course they're all social commentary (eg. Lobster) without making much of an effort to try to "disguise" themselves as such. I also didn't mean that 'genre' meant specifically horror, which some seem to think.

The core reason I brought it up was because, twice recently, I've seen requests for scripts that described "looking for social commentary disguised as genre", without providing any examples. So I figured I'd "reverse engineer" the question by asking for film (or TV) examples!

However, I knew it'd probably be a good thread to begin, so keep 'em coming.

Comment

Pinocchio (1940)

Tootsie (1982)

Children of Men (2006)

Team America: World Police (2004)

Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (2004)

Step Brothers (2008)
                      Last edited by DDoc; 05-24-2020, 06:04 AM. Reason: added Anchorman and Stepbros...

Comment

Working...
                      X