No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Timings to specific page

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    They did take a lot of chances in their script for a huge project adapting a hit TV show and starring Tom Cruise.
    I know you're joking, but my point is that it's a great movie. When you saw it, did it bother you that it so wildly broke with convention? (Also, like Taken or Ferris Bueller or a lot of movies we've talked about here, no arc for hero.)

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
      I know you're joking, but my point is that it's a great movie. When you saw it, did it bother you that it so wildly broke with convention? (Also, like Taken or Ferris Bueller or a lot of movies we've talked about here, no arc for hero.)
      I don't love that movie -- but that's besides the point. Most people dig it.

See I saw it recently and if anything it felt as conventional as any action movie ever. So I get your point, that it may not have all the beats of STC, but it had all the Hollywood beats of an action movie. And I feel if you tried, you could probably fill in the STC beat chart, but you were also making a point.

So I'm not pushing one way of doing it by any means. I was only saying I learned some good stuff in STC and other books that I use -- but I'm never thinking I need to do this by page 5 or this by page 75.

However, I think a lot of these beats may hit comedy specs more than an action movie. I do believe that. I think "all is lost" isn't bad thing to think about. Whatever you call it. The hero/lead at their lowest point. I feel that is in most movies. And I think that it's called for.

My way of doing things is I need a clear goal to drive Act 2 (Pee Wee needs his bike back) and throw as much **** in the way of the hero getting their goal (bike back). However, action to me is very "easy" to have it be one non stop Act 2 of action. I mean it's literally what the movie is for. Comedy we try for set pieces, but if you go too far now it's called broad. So writing grounded comedy (like a drama) and also being non stop is hard. I miss jokes. I know we covered that before...

So Today in 2020, I've been writing awhile and I'm done with screenwriting books and contests and many other things. I'm just doing what I do. I often write the movie thinking of 1 or 2 other movies that can help guide me structure wise. Pretty much looking at their structure and what they did so well. And I think that's a better/easier way to go about it honestly.

I guess I'm saying overall -- you got to take in all the advice you can find and filter through the bullshit -- until you come out on the other side with success.

Let's be honest. Most writers first exposure to talking about screenwriting at all will probably be some book like Save the Cat. And I feel many many books in the world have caused harm, but this one isn't one of them. It's just one guy's opinion.

So me, there are some things I like that Blake said that I will use and some things Jeff has said that I will also use in my writing. Either way, it's up to me. I can't count on a book or a pro writer's advice to make me write a successful spec. We all wish it was that easy. But I never saw screenwriting books as "do this and lose weight" in tone. I always read them as "I think this might be how to write a script, I don't know, what do you think?"
      Last edited by Bono; 08-26-2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I think that all makes complete sense.

Comment

I honestly don't know what to do. This is like the second time I read a post where someone agreed with me. I can only hope it's sarcastic so we can keep "fighting." I'm in shock.

Comment

Books make me angry.

These books disagree with my screenplays and I tells them they need be wrong about my movie making abilities because of my assertion others are doing it worse Dan mes.

I beat book with FIST and scream at you bad men who write them you know not what is good and have no what I am writing is good. Bad man tell me that I dos wrong but I know right because other movies do bad things.

All Inciting Incidents start at page 3 and have plot device with car or womanly figure who is attractive in beauty way. I smoke cigarettes. Then screenplay with action man with place to get science and lover man loves woman, who could be great mother.

Act 3 is joke. HAHA. I tell you all it's place with children to play with their animals and lollipops. You do not need or have as it's brotherly understands all is act 2 with manly men in underwear flying on airplane.

I win!
            Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Julysses View Post
              Books make me angry.

These books disagree with my screenplays and I tells them they need be wrong about my movie making abilities because of my assertion others are doing it worse Dan mes.

I beat book with FIST and scream at you bad men who write them you know not what is good and have no what I am writing is good. Bad man tell me that I dos wrong but I know right because other movies do bad things.

All Inciting Incidents start at page 3 and have plot device with car or womanly figure who is attractive in beauty way. I smoke cigarettes. Then screenplay with action man with place to get science and lover man loves woman, who could be great mother.

Act 3 is joke. HAHA. I tell you all it's place with children to play with their animals and lollipops. You do not need or have as it's brotherly understands all is act 2 with manly men in underwear flying on airplane.

I win!
              Aroint thee, Neanderthalic poser.
              Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-27-2020, 04:09 AM.
              “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                I understood your point. You may be right.

KEANU the movie about "saving a cat" is confuing to you in terms of talking about the book SAVE THE CAT?
                Bono - No, I don't know what you mean by saying that you think I'm thinking about 'KEANU' (be that the lead actor in John Wick, or a 2016 movie with that name, or whatever) when I was clearly talking about (and therefore most likely thinking about) the movie John Wick.
                Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                X