This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Abbot Management

magicman, I was not the one who made the claim that my career was further along than anyone elses. You are the only one participating in that pissing contest. Frankly, I don't give a rip.

But this thread has gone way off track. Peace out.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
      magicman, I was not the one who made the claim that my career was further along than anyone elses. You are the only one participating in that pissing contest. Frankly, I don't give a rip.

But this thread has gone way off track. Peace out.
      Hate to say it, but you've been wrong on almost every point in your exchanges with Mac and Magic. You have a long way to go, and that's okay, but you're showing a real lack of understanding of the way the business works.

Comment

Please, magicman35, what is this experience that you mention? What process have you experienced, or even read about, that constitued reps or key industry persons saying to a new writer: "Hey, I love what you wrote just as it is. It expresses your true self. I want to see a movie made of this because I want the world to know your true self."

I'm not being sarcastic here. I would like to know at least one occassion of this so that I may reconsider what I just wrote above, because that is certainly not my experience, nor have I ever read about such a thing.
        Dude, when Magicman says "True Self" he is talking about a writer's "voice." And, yeah, it's what producers look for. It means that, if you don't love action movies, you shouldn't write one because it'll suck, and if you do write action movies, you should write one, but write one in a way that is both able to deliver on the genre and also reflect your unique take on that same genre. If it isn't within you, and you don't allow yourself to find it, you'll never make it.

Comment

Originally posted by magicman35 View Post
          Wow, you have a manager, that's so cool.

How do I do this from Dublin? Let me break it down for you.

i. there are people other than Hollywood studios and prod cos who PAY people to write scripts. Yes, I know, crazy isn't it? For a British TV PACT production of an hour long drama you get paid around $70,000 as a writer. I of course negotiate to be paid in Guinness and tin whistles, but you get the picture.

ii. there are things that go up in the sky called airplanes. You can get to LA from Dublin in about eleven hours. And then you can do MEETINGS. Once execs get over the initial shock of meeting someone from Ireland who FLEW on an Airyplane we sit down and discuss ideas.

iii. there's also something called the INTERNET, which uses a spooky form of sending letters called E-MAIL. This means that communication takes place instantly. Old widow Maguire next door says it's the spawn of Satan but I swear that it works.

iv. finally you can write THINGS, they may take the form of SCRIPTS or BOOKS and then people (I'm not grand enough to have a manager so I've settled for an agent) can send them via the aforementioned E-MAIL to buyers, who send you MONEY.

But, all this aside, let me ask you again, if you're such an expert and look down on me because I'm in Ireland while you reside in the golden Lancaster/Palmdale triangle (sic), what are your earnings to date as a writer? Oh yeah, you have a a manager.
          Yo, Lucky Charms, you wanna say something about Palmdale? Huh?

Comment

(moved to correct thread)

Comment

Okay, MacG, I understand where I disconnected. I thought the "first-line-of-defense- players were from the same production company of the producers. I missed the studio connection. My bad.

I would really hate to see this thing go south after such a promising email from your managers. I can only think of another reason why they may not be communicating. Perhaps you have been diplomatic and not too aggressive. Let's assume that. The other possibility is that they simply have not heard back from the studio. The manager may not be compelled to answer back until he hears from them. No decision from the studio, no urgency to communicate with the writer. 13 weeks is a long time, but not an unreasonable amount of time, at least from the studio's perspective. I hope that's all it is. I'm rooting for you all the way. Good luck.
              Ummm, isn't this in the wrong thread, Farnsworth?

Better go have your coffee, buddy
              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Yes, I moved it to MacG's thread. Had coffee, but mistakenly took decaf.

Comment

Well, joe, I guess it's my graduate-school background in pyschoanalysis and the deconstruction of the self that throws you off, but I put that in there just for fun. Like in .

Bottom line is: screenwriting involves the vision of the writer and the visions, tastes, and interests of others in the biz, all working in a dynamic or dialectical process (Hegel, any one?). That's all I'm saying.

And you have to know your limits. My manager does not like the supernatural, for example; so if I want to work with him, I should stay clear of those kinds of projects. I have not even asked him about romantic comedies and the like. In fact, the agent at Endeavor who referred me to my manager did so on the basis of the genre I do like the most, Sci Fi.
                  Just because your manager doesn't like supernatural projects doesn't mean you shouldn't write them. If you have a brilliant idea that would make a great supernatural script, and you allow your manager to immediately dismiss it, your manager could potentially be doing more damage to you than good.
                  Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Your repsonse is generic, rather than specific about your particular situation. You say it can be done? You don't say how you did it.

It is possible for a new writer to begin a career in screenwriting outside of L.A., but the odds are still against it. I would not place my bets on it.

But you still have not answered my question. How did YOU do it?
                    Farnsworth,

You might want to check out the credits on www.imdbpro.com There are a number of working writers who have written television shows and movies in the British Isles. They have a reasonably big film industry.

There are other film industries in other parts of the world.

And actually, a lot of people who start out as actors, writers, or directors in Britain who make it big there do end up coming to LA and a fair number of them have made it big as well.

Telling a Irish or a British person that they can't have a career in film because they aren't in Los Angeles is just plain IGNORANT, and there's substantial evidence to prove you wrong on that account.

Comment

An unknown writer can get started outside of L.A., but, statistically, it's an extremely long, long shot. Not impossible, but not probable.

I think my previous posts referred to Hollywood and screenwriting.

As for writing supernatural scripts, a writer can write any type of spec. The concern is, writing something a manager can get behind and sell.

Not writing a supernatural script won't necessarily hurt anyone's career, nor advance it. It's a question of: Do you want to spend your short life here on Earth writing specs that go into your drawer because no one wants to rep it, or do you want to work on projects that others can get behind?

My manager likes the kinds of scripts I like to write. The agent who brought us together did so on the basis of genre consideration. Personally, I like aliens better than ghosts, and so does my manager.

Comment

An unknown writer can get started outside of L.A., but, statistically, it's an extremely long, long shot. Not impossible, but not probable.

I think my previous posts referred to Hollywood and screenwriting.
                        Then maybe you need to clarify this, because pretending that other countries don't have film industries is completely ignorant.

And by the way, a number of British writers, actors, etc have gotten started back at home in Britain, and become extremely well known in Hollywood. Novelist J.K Rowling was a British Novelist, and I'm sure you've heard of the movies made from her books. She's a billionaire living in Britain, while you, in Los Angeles, have yet to make a single sale!

Matthew Vaughn, writer/director who will now be directing the Thor movie, is from Britain and made his name there before coming over to work in the Los Angeles scene (he still lives in Britain).

There are a lot of others. So you really should drop the pretentious I'm on location in Hollywood nonsense, it hasn't gotten you anywhere financially as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                          Clients...as in studio companies or in writers?

If you don't like the way they work, fine. Don't deal with them.
                          Clients as in writers, I was responding to the prior post, and I don't deal with them.

Comment

J.K. Rowling was a highly successful novelist before the Harry Potter novels were made into a movie franchise. And I don't think she can be viewed as an aspriring screenwriter. Way beyond that.

Of course, I was referring to newie writers trying to break into Hollywood. Not successful novelists. Nor successful writers/actors/directors from anywhere in the world. I'm talking about aspiring screenwriters, like those here on DD.

Of course it's possible to break in from afar. But generally speaking the odds are against the newbie not stationed somewhere in Southern Cali.

Why do I say that? Well, you can certainly write from any where in the world. But half of breaking into this biz is networking, and that is best done in L.A. simply because your chances are higher that you'll get a break.

Again, I said it was "possible," but not "probable" when you take into account a large population of newbies. Statistically the odds are against you.

My comments are posted above. So please stop misrepresenting my opinions and then calling me ignorant based on those misrepresentations.

Comment

Clearly this thread is now completely off topic and run its course by a mile.

Please take any more of these (personal) arguments to private messages or emails. Thanks.
                              Will
                              Done Deal Pro
                              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                              X