• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing Ideas To Write with Managers

Hey, darrylyo. Please PM me.

Comment

Hi everybody. I'm not well versed in the manager game. But I do possess common sense. -No snide remarks- I know about the producers in sheeps' clothing that will have the naive or desperate slave for a pat on the back or a reeeally energetic 'attaboy', but the Managers are at it too? Is nothing sacred?

It was interesting to note that some of the posters did not reply with 'The project is 100% mine even though it was the idea of my manager'. 'He of course is not a producer on the property and when/if I ever split I own it 100%'. That clears up all.

I also believe that 'insiders' do indeed know what is commercially viable and what will get a warm reception when it goes out. Writers are sometimes irrevocably wed to their scripts/ideas and though they may be talented the market may not be receptive to their current wares.

The key is evaluating the individual manager. A manager is only as good as his sales. If he's selling a lot of work, I want to do whatever BIG BALLZ says is gonna get me paid. (within reason... and my drawers stay on)
      Doth thou desirest a slapping? - William Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by boski

So good, imo, that when I finish my next script, I think I'm gonna figure out a way to annoy darryl enough so that he extends me the same challenge.
        I'm with you Boski. In fact, I'm gonna' get him outright p!ssed off just to see if he'll make an offer on a project. Go all the way, right?

Darrylyo says, "If your cr*p is any good I'll write ya a check on the spot!"

Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Well, thanks for the offer, darry. Are you offering to show my specs, or the project I am working on with my manager/producer?

If it's the latter, then I would have to respectfully decline, because I do value loyalty. That would not be the right thing to do, and it would not be smart for my career aspirations.

If you mean my other specs that my manager has never seen, that might be interesting to take up your offer, but I doubt that such meetings would go any where. Since I have a rep, it would get around and cause myself and my rep undue embarassment.

And I assured my rep that I would not seek other representation as long as we continue to work together. And I am a man of my word . . . most of the time.

So I have to respectfully and graciously decline your offer.

MacG, your warnings to me are based on a faulty premise: that movie ideas can be registered or copyrighted and then become a property.

A property is a script, not an idea. Scripts are registered in the writer's name, not the producer, if one is attached, unless the producer wrote or co-wrote it and he registered it or copyrighted it in his name.

You do not register ideas, titles, log lines, tag lines, etc. You register completed scripts with scenes, settings, plots, characters, etc. A project starts with a property, a script.

Now, this script may not be as valuable without this producer attached. So if I leave my rep and take this project along to show someone else, it may not have much value. But let's say that it does, and I do such a thing. Given the time that I have put into the project and given the time my rep/producer has put into the project, for me to leave and go somewhere else just because I thought things were not moving fast enough -- such an action on my part would amount to a monumental case of stupidity. Not only would I be black-balled in the industry as a "difficult" and disloyal writer, I would be blowing my best chance to get a deal.

And once again, every script that the writer completes is his script, his story, his ideas, etc. Who cares where the initial idea comes from?

Sometimes I get ideas that come outta my ass!

Ideas are a dime-a-dozen in Hollywood. The script is the real property.

Comment

Farns, you're absolutely right.

I admire your conduct and I like your attitude.

I'm very surprised though, that Darrylyo, with whom I find myself to agree all the times, this time seems a little bit off...

The "manager" owns the property ONLY if he pays you for your writing. Since he didn't pay you, you own the script outright. As you said, whomever does the physical writing owns the script. And so does MacG. Period.

Btw, I'm not a writer nor a manager.

I wish you all the luck.

PS. Good lord Darrylyo, that offer was truly audacious, how many PMs do you have now?
            Last edited by trujosh; 04-18-2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Thank you, trujosh, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
                And once again, every script that the writer completes is his script, his story, his ideas, etc. Who cares where the initial idea comes from?

Ideas are a dime-a-dozen in Hollywood. The script is the real property.
                Hi Farnsworth! Hmmm. If every script the writer completes is 'his' story why is there a 'Story By' credit thingy that I see scroll by sometimes?

Just busting yer chops a little. No offense meant. I can see that you are set in your beliefs and I salute your loyalty. You obviously see light at the end of the tunnel and I'm rooting for ya!

But be careful about the 'who cares where the initial idea comes from' stuff.
                When yer walking the red carpet at the Oscars as a nominee for Best Screenplay I would hazard a guess that the 'Somebody' whose idea it really was may want to have a little chat with you.

BTW The 'Twilight' franchise author is now involved in a row over her former college roommate claiming that the 'idea' was lifted from her. But no worries, 'who cares where the initial idea comes from'? I'll quit needling you and wish you nothing but success in your endeavors. Knock em dead friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Charisma View Post

BTW The 'Twilight' franchise author is now involved in a row over her former college roommate claiming that the 'idea' was lifted from her.
                  Her college roommate claims she wrote a short story that her professor actually remembers. If true, there will be tangible proofs.

Completely different case, wouldn't you say?

Also, "story by" comes to pass when both parties agree to register the script that way.

Comment

Anyway, can we please not have another thread about Farnsworth?

(All of these threads end up about Farnsworth.)

I want to have a thread about ME. yea! ME !

Comment

If the manager comes up with the idea and you then go off and develop a script based on that idea that will create a problem down the line with the chain of title. If you write a script based on an idea suggested to you by someone else, you will not have sole ownership of that property - and that will be a problem for you.

Back to the OP. I'm with Jake and Limama on this one. Of course, it's not necessarily a bad thing to tap into insider information in terms of what is already out there. But I think it can be debilitating for a writer to allow a rep that much say in what you are going to spend months, if not years, working on.

I'd focus on writing what gets you fired up. That passion, allied with a certain level of craft, will transmit to the page, and that's what will get your work attention.

Comment

magic,

Again someone confuses idea with property. A script is a property, an idea is not. A script can be registered by the writer with the WGA (or copyrighted), a mere idea cannot.

If the writer has been developing a script with a producer who intends to attach himself to the project, then the producer will disapprove of the writer jumping ship whether the script was based on an idea that came from the producer or from the writer or from the writer's dog.

A script arises from the writer's writing. A project, which assumes the script, arises from all stakeholders involved with it.

And why wouldn't a writer get fired up over a script based on an idea that did not originally arise from the writer? Here's in idea: A producer comes to you and says, I'm thinking of Serpico meets Dracula, a rookie cop joins the police department and discovers a band of rogue cops who operate only a night, only to discover that they are vampires.

That's the idea the producer throws out. How many different kinds of scripts can be written based on that idea? The answer, many. Different characters, different plot points, different settings.

That's why I say that the writing is always the writer's writing. The writer owns the script, not the idea. No one owns ideas. They are free and clear.

I don't understand why many posters here do not understand or accept this simple concept.

And why do so many people assume that I would want to leave my rep/producer? Yes, there would be a problem if I attempted to do so. But I don't want to leave. I have no intention of leaving. I am in this for the long haul. I am committed to the project, or bust.

Comment

Originally posted by trujosh View Post
                          Her college roommate claims she wrote a short story that her professor actually remembers. If true, there will be tangible proofs.

Completely different case, wouldn't you say?

Also, "story by" comes to pass when both parties agree to register the script that way.
                          Hi trujosh! Sounds like the professor is a 'witness'. That and 'tangible proofs' add up to a legal quagmire. Thanks for making that point. Who needs the headache? The proof is supposed to be in the pudding. But that ingredient can be misplaced when there are too many cooks in the kitchen. And if the script that springs from that manager's 'idea' becomes Star Wars you can bet he'll be looking to be ID'd as a chef, if not THE chef. Human nature. A potential legal mess is a potential legal mess. No difference.

But I'm on the outside looking in. Farnsworth is the inside man. And he's more than comfy with his position. And in the final analysis that's all that matters. Thanks for clearing up the 'story by' scroll. Hmm- it would appear that absent any producer frosting, the manager would be left out in the cold.

Have a fabulous day!

Comment

magic,

Again someone confuses idea with property. A script is a property, an idea is not. A script can be registered by the writer with the WGA (or copyrighted), a mere idea cannot.

If the writer has been developing a script with a producer who intends to attach himself to the project, then the producer will disapprove of the writer jumping ship whether the script was based on an idea that came from the producer or from the writer or from the writer's dog.

A script arises from the writer's writing. A project, which assumes the script, arises from all stakeholders involved with it.

And why wouldn't a writer get fired up over a script based on an idea that did not originally arise from the writer? Here's in idea: A producer comes to you and says, I'm thinking of Serpico meets Dracula, a rookie cop joins the police department and discovers a band of rogue cops who operate only a night, only to discover that they are vampires.

That's the idea the producer throws out. How many different kinds of scripts can be written based on that idea? The answer, many. Different characters, different plot points, different settings.

That's why I say that the writing is always the writer's writing. The writer owns the script, not the idea. No one owns ideas. They are free and clear.

I don't understand why many posters here do not understand or accept this simple concept.

And why do so many people assume that I would want to leave my rep/producer? Yes, there would be a problem if I attempted to do so. But I don't want to leave. I have no intention of leaving. I am in this for the long haul. I am committed to the project, or bust.
                            Yes, you're probably committed at this point, but all you've really done is spent two years working on this manager's idea, and when it's done, he might STILL never take it out, and if he does, there's still a 10 percent chance it'll sell (or less).

It's not like he's a buyer who will snatch it up after all this work you've done. He still has to do HIS job too... which is to sell the damn thing.

And honestly? It's harder to sell a screenplay when a manager insists he get a producing credit. That opens up a whole new can of worms with the prodcos.

What do you do at the end of two years and this project dies? Your producer/manager isn't going to let his idea walk away without a fight, and he might now want to look at your other projects.

I'll admit you're committed now, there's really not a way out, but it's not a situation I want to get in myself.

Comment

cause anyone with a legal background can tell you it's never this clear cut. (let me state from the onset, NOT COMMENTING on whether or not what you are doing is right/wrong/foolish/smart - just talking about the LEGAL IP SITUATION HERE).

If all the producer/manager does is chuck the idea out - for the sake of simplicity: "Serpico meets Dracula, a rookie cop joins the police department and discovers a band of rogue cops who operate only a night, only to discover that they are vampires".

The writer goes away and writes his take on this idea. The manager reads the script offers a suggestion here or there, and then takes it out and flogs it. Then the IDEA is indeed separate from the PRODUCT.

But from the way you have described how you work with your representative, he chucks out an idea, you take a whirl, he redirects, you try it his way, he suggests more thoughts on how to change it (ie: Can we have an ending like Miami Vice - that is a very specific suggestion).

IDEA is not distinct from product any more.

In the first instance, the manager is like the sperm donor. He gives off the 'spark' that gives life to the idea, and then the writer is the one that carts it around for the time it takes to gestate it to full term. The manager doesn't do much except maybe attend a couple of sonograms.

In the second instance, the manager donates the sperm, attends sonograms, but also gets involved in naming the kid, picking out the colour of the clothes, buying the toys, painting the nursery. In short, he's a hands on DAD.

When all else fails, remember that whenever there's money involved, it's never simple.

Comment

Not all writers have the personality to take on spec projects that they're less passionate about because their reps think they're more viable.

I don't do it.

I have several friends who don't do it.

True, I know some very successful writers who run everything by their reps, but I maintain it's a personality thing. And if you're not wired a certain way, it's better to just write what you wanna write even if your reps say it's not viable.

Comment

Working...
                                X