No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I was offered representation

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
    Also, before you sign, make sure there aren't some other dream reps you can use this heat to leverage into serious interest.
    Lips has solid advice, but be careful if you decide to do this. I'm not sure this is the scenario to leverage for meeting with other managers right now. If word got back to the manager in question it could be disastrous. If he was strictly looking you over for managing you (long term) and this was a writing sample or something he wanted to help you develop into a stronger script, yes, I would consider using that interest to drum up other possible reps.

However this rep wants this script now, and has the potential to get a deal asap as your manager and a producer. If you use that to start knocking on other manager doors to strike a "bigger" deal or "better" rep, you'd be doing yourself a disservice and quite frankly I think it would be unethical, in this particular scenario. If it was an agent, that would be a different story as it's done more frequently. But this is a unique situation. I could be wrong here but I think you should take pause before doing this.

Comment

I won't be using the leverage trick - I don't think it will benefit me. At least not right now, as Telly says.

The situation is tricky - I only started querying last week and this Monday and Tuesday after I have revised my logline. We are talking lightning-fast turnaround here. I strongly doubt that anyone else has read the script - the ink on the release forms hasn't even dried yet.

Besides, I have heard enough good stuff about them so far and only 1 1/2 negative - which isn't of a major concern.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

SBS you need to make some space to your PMs inbox!

Comment

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
          SBS you need to make some space to your PMs inbox!
          Sorry, done.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
            Lips has solid advice, but be careful if you decide to do this. I'm not sure this is the scenario to leverage for meeting with other managers right now. If word got back to the manager in question it could be disastrous. If he was strictly looking you over for managing you (long term) and this was a writing sample or something he wanted to help you develop into a stronger script, yes, I would consider using that interest to drum up other possible reps.

However this rep wants this script now, and has the potential to get a deal asap as your manager and a producer. If you use that to start knocking on other manager doors to strike a "bigger" deal or "better" rep, you'd be doing yourself a disservice and quite frankly I think it would be unethical, in this particular scenario.
            I hear you, but I think the fact that this rep wants paperwork changes the game a bit.

I don't know who the interested party is, but as SB points out - if the guy is not completely on the level about taking this thing out and doing some damage before the spec season opens back up post-Sundance, you might not want to be locked into a long-term contract with him/her.

When you're locking in with a contract that can take you off the market for a year (Which, again, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just be sure you and this rep really click, and they believe in you as a writer - not just this script), it seems like you should feel you have the right to try to do the best you can for yourself.

We were very upfront about the fact that we needed some time to make sure we were finding the best fit for us, as we didn't want to be another case of rep-hopping writers, but two dudes down to job it, with the right corner men. Our manager appreciated the candor and the savvy. So, if you're up front, I don't know how this strategy would be "unethical," in any way.

Now, if this rep is a real player, with REAL contacts you might not want to even broach the subject if you think it will piss this guy off. Again though, I'd like to think any pro would consider this run-of-the-mill, and appreciate the fact that you take your burgeoning career seriously. Maybe I'm just naive, as this is our first go-around with reps. I'm sure some board members can offer some anecdotal advice on this. Your call, and always be as honest and professional as you can be, with your eye on the prize.

It actually took quite a while (few weeks) to get our contract signed even after we told the guy he was our horse. This is another reason bringing a lawyer in on the contract is not a bad idea, it can give you a chance to stall but give them confidence that you are in fact moving forward. The major issue here is, in your case, as others have pointed out - the market is about to shut down for the year (for the most part). So, you'll have to act quick if you want a rep to seriously be taking anything out.

Also, if the rep plans on packaging this script before approaching buyers, you might be in for a very long-haul anyway. Our agent and manager have our script out to a handful of A-List directors, but we haven't heard a peep (other than one's manager passing, but his production partner coming back and asking to check it out). You hear stories of folks waiting a loooooooong time throughout this process.

Bottom line: In my opinion, everything is negotiable. You have to have clear objectives and long-term goals in mind, and be able and willing to leverage whatever slivers of heat and negotiating power you get to improve your position. This is your career in question. Try to make your first foothold the best it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
              I hear you, but I think the fact that this rep wants paperwork changes the game a bit.

I don't know who the interested party is, but as SB points out - if the guy is not completely on the level about taking this thing out and doing some damage before the spec season opens back up post-Sundance, you might not want to be locked into a long-term contract with him/her.

When you're locking in with a contract that can take you off the market for a year (Which, again, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just be sure you and this rep really click, and they believe in you as a writer - not just this script), it seems like you should feel you have the right to try to do the best you can for yourself.

We were very upfront about the fact that we needed some time to make sure we were finding the best fit for us, as we didn't want to be another case of rep-hopping writers, but two dudes down to job it, with the right corner men. Our manager appreciated the candor and the savvy. So, if you're up front, I don't know how this strategy would be "unethical," in any way.

Now, if this rep is a real player, with REAL contacts you might not want to even broach the subject if you think it will piss this guy off. Again though, I'd like to think any pro would consider this run-of-the-mill, and appreciate the fact that you take your burgeoning career seriously. Maybe I'm just naive, as this is our first go-around with reps. I'm sure some board members can offer some anecdotal advice on this. Your call, and always be as honest and professional as you can be, with your eye on the prize.

It actually took quite a while (few weeks) to get our contract signed even after we told the guy he was our horse. This is another reason bringing a lawyer in on the contract is not a bad idea, it can give you a chance to stall but give them confidence that you are in fact moving forward. The major issue here is, in your case, as others have pointed out - the market is about to shut down for the year (for the most part). So, you'll have to act quick if you want a rep to seriously be taking anything out.

Also, if the rep plans on packaging this script before approaching buyers, you might be in for a very long-haul anyway. Our agent and manager have our script out to a handful of A-List directors, but we haven't heard a peep (other than one's manager passing, but his production partner coming back and asking to check it out). You hear stories of folks waiting a loooooooong time throughout this process.

Bottom line: In my opinion, everything is negotiable. You have to have clear objectives and long-term goals in mind, and be able and willing to leverage whatever slivers of heat and negotiating power you get to improve your position. This is your career in question. Try to make your first foothold the best it can be.
              One thing I'll say is this--if as a new or potential client you ask a reasonable question, and pretty much any question is reasonable if they are considering signing you, and the rep gets pissed off, then you don't want to be in business with them.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                One thing I'll say is this--if as a new or potential client you ask a reasonable question, and pretty much any question is reasonable if they are considering signing you, and the rep gets pissed off, then you don't want to be in business with them.
                Exactly.

Comment

However this rep wants this script now, and has the potential to get a deal asap as your manager and a producer. If you use that to start knocking on other manager doors to strike a "bigger" deal or "better" rep, you'd be doing yourself a disservice and quite frankly I think it would be unethical, in this particular scenario. If it was an agent, that would be a different story as it's done more frequently. But this is a unique situation. I could be wrong here but I think you should take pause before doing this.
                  I don't know, I don't think there's anything wrong with exploring options, and if having some interest helps you do that, I don't think it's unethical. I have met with potential clients who went on to sign with other, bigger and more established companies, and I don't have any ill will over it.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                    I don't know, I don't think there's anything wrong with exploring options, and if having some interest helps you do that, I don't think it's unethical. I have met with potential clients who went on to sign with other, bigger and more established companies, and I don't have any ill will over it.
                    Again, I'll defer to SBS on this. My thoughts were based on my own experience, which isn't that extensive. Personally, I always err on the side of caution and have been known to screw myself out of opportunities based on that paranoia.

Comment

Again, I'll defer to SBS on this. My thoughts were based on my own experience, which isn't that extensive. Personally, I always err on the side of caution and have been known to screw myself out of opportunities based on that paranoia.
                      And let me also amend my statement to say that I'm assuming the writer will be up front about it, not tell them it's a love match and then stall so he can go out and look around for something else.

Comment

It's infectious, ain't it? Both the paranoia and the self-screwing lol

I've stopped querying since yesterday.

The question is whether I give a chance to those that have the script already or take a decision pretty soon.

As for going out now with it, it is probably me not hearing well or being hysteric or both. He wants it off the market, do a few tweaks on it, attach a director and cast - threw a name - and take it to studios.

His voice had the right tone and I felt the right feeling in my gut. He sounded certain. Like he already knew. But you never know, right?

I understand the excess weight of them being attached as producers but they are just finishing off a big budget action thriller and frankly, they want to follow up.

They produce my genre and they want someone to write those scripts - his words, not mine.

I strongly doubt that they will be going out with it in the current year, nor am I expecting them to do so.

The tricky thing here is this: he obviously liked my writing and he asked more of my scripts, meaning he is interested for a long term relationship plus he sees something damn hot in this script and he wants to act now as every producer would do.

I got good vibes - I don't know what big difference would do to me if I kept looking. I really don't.

Comment

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
                          He wants it off the market, do a few tweaks on it, attach a director and cast - threw a name - and take it to studios.
                          I think you need to run with this and lets the chips fall.

Comment

Congrats Space! You're the man!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Anyway, I think it's great that your writing has reached a level that gets this much interest. That's a good place to arrive at.

Obviously anything can go wrong. He may see problems he didn't see at first glance, the talent he wants to attach may not want in, he may pitch it and fail. It's a long road. There's a substantial difference in the number of packaged projects pitched versus the ones that actually get produced. I think, if you like what he's saying, then just let him run with it, and go and write another script.

If you keep schlepping it around hoping for something better, it could get tired before it's even off the ground.

Sign it over and walk away. That's what I do.

A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Uhm....

Strike while the iron is hot.

Comment

Congrats, space.

Drop me a PM if you want me to be your cut man as you dance with these guys.

Float like a butterfly.

Sting like a bee.
                                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                                X