Incredibly Original Epic Script...but...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incredibly Original Epic Script...but...

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Everyone keeps saying "Big 3" - who didn't make the cut?
    We posted at the same time. I was thinking the same thing.
    https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
      We posted at the same time. I was thinking the same thing.
      Considering how lackluster ICM has been lately, I think it's right to place them last in the batting order.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
        I feel as though you've surreptitiously abandoned the point you initially made and retreated to a more readily defensible one while unsuccessfully attempting to mask your maneuver with heaps of fake incredulity.

This is the point everyone has been talking about:

"Sending out a script that people don't like can hurt you MAJORLY. Well, can't I just write another one? Of course you can, but now try to get people to read it. This town is VERY small - imagine it as the size of a high school, yep that small and incestuous. You get ONE shot with these people. A [bad] first impression is extremely hard to fix...nearly impossible."
        -You, in a simpler time

I'm sorry, but the idea that sending out queries for a bad script is tantamount to a death sentence as your first bad read will be spread around town like wrestling mat herpes just doesn't wash with...well...with anything else you've subsequently said.

Send out queries for a bad script and the biggest risk is that nobody will ask to read it and within the hour nobody will even remember that they didn't ask to read it. At the absolute worst, you'll get a script request from one or two agents, their readers or assistants will give it a pass, and within the hour nobody will remember that you exist. There won't be major, lasting repercussions that ripple across town and forever taint your reputation. That's just...what was the phrase? Bordering on comedy?
        Actually, you're both right.

1. You only get one chance. This is true. If someone reads you and the script is crap, they won't read you again.

2. You can keep querying other people, there's no black list. That's true too. I suppose it would take years to run out of people to query and you'd still get the occasional read if you had a decent logline.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogtown13
          To me it's the "Big-1", but whatever...
          Okay, mutt, what agency are you with?

Comment

I just told you...

But what does it matter?
            Does your wife surf?

Comment

And truthfully, I think the "agent finds you" idea applies more to rock bands and composers etc. First time I heard that line was when I was 18 in regards to that. With screenwriting I think it's best to be on the offensive, so long as you're playing it strategic.
              I agree it's best to be on the offensive, but I happened to be one of those very fortunate people who had several agencies courting me.
              https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Heh. I saw a brief part of this Buddha documentary on PBS last night.
                Buddha obtained enlightenment and tried to teach the first ascetic he came across.

The guy said, "it may be so"...and continued on his way without a second thought.

I've seen a lot of "it may be so" responses in this thread.
                But then again, you may not be Buddha either.

---

To the people who say you should shelve your first work. They suck.
                If your first script isn't something that you are passionate about.
                If it's not what inspired you to start writing.
                If all you did was think "I want to be a writer because I know I can be",
                and started writing like that...you aren't going to amount to much 99.9% of the time.

So, if you were inspired and care deeply about your first story. Congrats.
                There's hope.

But even then, tell us how much you've actually studied the craft?
                Because no matter how inspired you are, unless you've studied your ass off,
                and re-written the thing repeatedly, I doubt it's any good. In fact, I already know it's not.

That doesn't mean it won't be.

So tell us your path...

Comment

Tried a couple times...last time was at Surfrider. Freaked out when a monster set rolled through, she was standing on the rocky bottom screaming "help me!!!". Terror in her eyes. I tore off my leash, chucked my board aside and careened over to save her from certain death. Once we safely made it to shore she dropped to her knees thankful to be alive. I asked her to turn and face these Maverick-esque waves...to her surprise the waves were lapping at smiling children's ankles. I was kinda done teaching her at that point.

My agent surfs...

Your wife surf?
                  Awesome--very funny. There's a crew of agents and folks that do, of course. My wife does, but she is also pretty wimpy, and likes the warm water, waikiki, mexico.

Comment

Tried a couple times...last time was at Surfrider. Freaked out when a monster set rolled through, she was standing on the rocky bottom screaming "help me!!!". Terror in her eyes. I tore off my leash, chucked my board aside and careened over to save her from certain death. Once we safely made it to shore she dropped to her knees thankful to be alive. I asked her to turn and face these Maverick-esque waves...to her surprise the waves were lapping at smiling children's ankles. I was kinda done teaching her at that point.

My agent surfs...

Your wife surf?
                    So the message of this thread is... surfing is the new golf.

Comment

I have been learning the craft over the past 10 years with graphic novel writing, working on various projects with artists, developing concept and worlds. In the past 5 years I realized I wanted to be a screenwriter. I didn't attempt to write one until last year when I felt confident I had an idea/concept that could actually add something to the artform. To do something I had never seen before. If I am not doing that, I have no motivation to create in the first place. I have to be doing something I feel ADDs to the artform. Challenges it.

So thats the short answer. Thanks again for all of the replies. This is just a project I feel is something really special. So...ya know. Thats it.

Thanks again,

-Chris Harrow

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
                        So the message of this thread is... surfing is the new golf.
                        No, surfing sucks, don't try it.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                          No, surfing sucks, don't try it.
                          Dude, you guys blew it. Now you're going to be inundated with screenwriters in the water next to you, carrying laminated scripts.

Comment

I'm with Dog on this one. There's nothing wrong about being smart and taking your time in this business.

Most big companies have some sort of coverage protocol for submitted scripts. Whether it's done by professional readers or unpaid interns, there's an easily searchable database for all scripts that have been read. If someone wants to take the time to look you up, you'd better hope your entry doesn't say, "He sucks. Big time." Sure, they might not look you up, but if they do, you've lost your second chance.

Even with people who actually read scripts themselves, it's very easy for them to search their email to see if they've read a certain writer before. Again, you'd better hope it doesn't trigger in his/her mind, "He sucks. Big time."

My advice to you, Bros, is to enter your script in Nicholl. I know, contests are for amateurs and wannabes, and no one really cares about the results, yadda-yadda. But do it anyway. Then sit on it until this summer when results are announced. If you make it to the quarters or the semis, you'll have some impartial validation that you have screenwriting chops. You'll be less likely to be labeled as, "He sucks. Big time." And most of the people here will stop thinking of you as another dreamer who's gonna tear the world apart by your sheer awesomeness.

Comment

Originally posted by BrosHarrow View Post
                              I have been learning the craft over the past 10 years with graphic novel writing, working on various projects with artists, developing concept and worlds. In the past 5 years I realized I wanted to be a screenwriter. I didn't attempt to write one until last year when I felt confident I had an idea/concept that could actually add something to the artform. To do something I had never seen before. If I am not doing that, I have no motivation to create in the first place. I have to be doing something I feel ADDs to the artform. Challenges it.

So thats the short answer. Thanks again for all of the replies. This is just a project I feel is something really special. So...ya know. Thats it.

Thanks again,

-Chris Harrow
                              Chris, next time you do a big project in a 60 mil range, write it as a graphic novel if you have the experience and resources! Own the creative rights. Tell them you're going to adapt. Hollywood masturbates to graphic novels.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                                I'm with Dog on this one. There's nothing wrong about being smart and taking your time in this business.

Most big companies have some sort of coverage protocol for submitted scripts. Whether it's done by professional readers or unpaid interns, there's an easily searchable database for all scripts that have been read. If someone wants to take the time to look you up, you'd better hope your entry doesn't say, "He sucks. Big time." Sure, they might not look you up, but if they do, you've lost your second chance.

Even with people who actually read scripts themselves, it's very easy for them to search their email to see if they've read a certain writer before. Again, you'd better hope it doesn't trigger in his/her mind, "He sucks. Big time."

My advice to you, Bros, is to enter your script in Nicholl. I know, contests are for amateurs and wannabes, and no one really cares about the results, yadda-yadda. But do it anyway. Then sit on it until this summer when results are announced. If you make it to the quarters or the semis, you'll have some impartial validation that you have screenwriting chops. You'll be less likely to be labeled as, "He sucks. Big time." And most of the people here will stop thinking of you as another dreamer who's gonna tear the world apart by your sheer awesomeness.
                                Excellent advice. Another reason it's a good idea is that you don't want to burn your connections. I've gotten a couple of reads off people I met and the script was universally panned by the coverage. What am I going to say to that guy next time? Hey, thanks for doing me that favor. I know it blew up in your face, but would you mind doing it again?

Better to make sure your work is as good as it can be the first time.
                                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                                X