Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• story by...

What's the standard and fair cut for someone who gives you a one line idea - something like "a famous tennis player romances the Duchess of Kent" - for which you then write the screenplay and literally create every element of the story based on that line?

Is "Story by" co-credit and 10% (of boith option and sale price) fair?

Gracias

Re: story by...

I don't think they're entitled to anything. You can't copyright a story idea.

Comment

Well those views make me feel generous for my 10% idea!

Comment

I think the pervious two people are being a little harsh.

I think this is something you should've sorted out before you began writing this. was the idea 'given' to you, for free?

I think some $$$ is worth the trade. After all, without the idea, you wouldn't have the script.

Overall, I wouldn't get yourself into too much of a pickle over this. The chances of selling,etc, bla bla bla...

EJ

Comment

An idea or a concept is not a story. A story has a beginning, middle and end.

If a story were simply "a famous tennis player romances the Duchess of Kent", that would be a pretty thin book.

"Based on an idea" is what you have. Dinner is good - 1% is generous.

Comment

I guess I was a bit vague. This guy is a director (whom I have worked with) and we agreed to try and sell this together - as I said though, his input is one line (it's not the tennis line that was an example!) but I thought it was a great idea ergo I've written it...

As for accredited Story By credits, what are hey worth? I mean if a person gets screen credit etc?

Comment

"Story By" Credit

Originally posted by Dali99 View Post
              ...This guy is a director (whom I have worked with) and we agreed to try and sell this together - as I said though, his input is one line... but I thought it was a great idea ergo I've written it...

...I mean if a person gets screen credit etc?
              Seldom is "one line" a complete story. If you wrote the screenplay, it's your story, (and credit), but, in fairness, the director could be given credit for "based on an idea by," (which isn't usually claimed by a film's own director). If attached to the project, getting the director's job is plenty good; if not, it's your gratitude, (not a percentage of your sale), that your friend is entitled to receive. How generous are you with your friends?
              JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Considering how few friends I have - and how generous they are to me during my frequent and long bouts of near destitution - as generous as I can be!

Comment

While I don't disagree with the "it's only one line not a whole story" sentiments above, I can't help but think that the quality of the idea must be a consideration.

I mean, I've had a few friends throw out interesting one-liners over the years but if one of them threw me a Liar, Liar or With This Ring they'd definitely deserve a huge amount of credit.
                  twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Perfect example is Wedding Crashers. That was an idea a producer had. He gave it to the writers, they wrote it, but the project then changed hands. So the guy who actually thought up the idea, the genesis of the entire project, did not have one credit on the film or see one cent from it.

That's not shady, that's just how it is. A one line idea gets you nothing.

Comment

Since you want to be generous to this guy --

When you take the project out, let him be attached as the director.

Which is a good deal for him -- to be attached to a project as a director.

You're the writer. He's the director. And so far, that's how the work has been divided up.

Comment

If this director doesn't add significant value to the package, it may not be such a good idea to attach him.

In fact, if he brings little or nothing, it may kill your project outright.

Comment

Working...
                        X