No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exactly

You nailed it, April.

And despite what some people here might tell you, established pros don't wear suits to meetings. In fact, I've been to a lot of meetings and the only time anybody in a meeting was wearing a suit, he was an agent.

Just try to blend, okay? "Blend" meaning, wear what they expect writers to wear. Which means, don't dress up.

Comment

Re: pitch meeting dress code

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> "If you want to become X, then act, speak and dress as if you already are X"? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

This is why I wear sweat pants to my day job.

Comment

Re: what to wear

Okay, so dressing up sends out red flags that you're inexperienced and/or not that good. But when you're a minor.. and you look it.. you're pretty much a walking red flag. So what would you advise for a first-time, young writer who's meeting with a big five agent? I'm thinking that too-casual attire would make me look like I didn't respect the agent or the business... but dressing up might say I hadn't done my homework. I know this is a petty matter and the writing is far more important than the clothing, but still... I have to take every precaution necessary to not blow this. Thanxalot!

Comment

my 2 cents

Something tells me you're not going to believe me, but I'll go ahead and try.

I recommend what I'd call "European casual." You'll see it on the streets of Milan where they are extremely fashion conscious, and all over LA. Wear jeans, a knit shirt or round-necked t-shirt, and a jacket.

I've worn this for meetings at expensive restaurants with guys in Armani suits, and for casual meetings at the Coffee Bean. I've had meetings at numerous production companies, at CAA, ICM, Endeavor and William Morris. I am with one of the major agencies now.

And sometimes, you'll find you're overdressed and will shed the jacket.

By the way, I'm female. This goes for males and females both.

Good luck.

Comment

Re: my 2 cents

I've never worried about the dress code. I have size 14 feet, I wear what's comfortable (and can find) - I don't worry what someone else thinks. My wardrobe consists of comfortable shirts and relaxed pants.

I had a meeting last week, and I wore a Stevie Ray Vaughan tee-shirt. The response I got, was a giddy: "We've shot two movies outside Austin. Stevie Ray Vaughan is huge there. We had so much fun!"

To which I replied, "Yeah, ain't 6th street a blast?"

Boon

Comment

The fact is, that as a writer walking into a professional environment, you are expected to be more right brain than left brain. You are expected to be like a mad scientist. A creative type who locks themselves out of their house a lot. There are no rules, but anyone who wore an actual suit with a jacket or a tie to a meeting as a writer would be hanging a sign on their neck that said "desperate neophyte with no experience with Hollywood culture". A suit gives the impression of applying corporate culture to Hollwood culture. Put it this way - it would be as unusual and bizarre as wearing a T-shirt and jeans to a first interview to work as a senior level sales manager at General Electric.

As to agents, they are used to dealing with 16 year old rap singers in baggy pants and jerseys and are more comfortable with this kind of out there look than they would be with the look described above.

Comment

I agree ... no suits.

On the dress topic, don't, repeat DON'T go dressed as a character from one of the studio's/producer's movies. It's not as funny as you think it's gonna be ... I know weird, right?

I went to a meeting with Buena Vista as Encino Man and they said they never wanted to see me again ... ever ... under any circumstances.

Comment

(This message was left blank)

Comment

Re: my 2 cents-- female fashion

NEVER WEAR A SUIT. If I wanted to wear suits I would've gotten my MBA.
                    The whole "jeans and sneakers" routine may be fine for men -- but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that as a woman, unless I golfed or did stand-up (if you know what I mean). BUT -- I think the great thing about being a chick writer is that I don't have to wear a skirt or dress -- I'm not an actress. I agree that business casual or artsy or whatever you're comfortable with is the best thing.
                    I went to a meeting on a hot day in LA and wore black pants, open-toed sandals (because I love them) -- with pedicured toes, of course, and a nice blouse with funky jewlery. I didn't know where we were going for lunch so I figured that would cover it (and it did). Hope this helps!
                    PS -- rarely do I see women wearing jeans in LA, unless they're under 25 and the trendy variety. Many people around town wear workout pants and sweats and I wouldn't recommend that.
                    Once you're established you could wear fruit on your head, if you desired.

Comment

"I went to a meeting with Buena Vista as Encino Man and they said they never wanted to see me again ... ever ... under any circumstances."

Please, please, please tell me you're joking about this. Yes, it had to be a joke. Right? Yes, of course it was. ;-)

Comment

Nappy casual is what I've always heard.

Now, anyone care to explain that to me?

Comment

just remember: shirts with cows are BAD.

Comment

(This message was left blank)

Comment

VanillaJudas

What the heck is Nappy casual?

Comment

Seems most of the people dress like .commers.

Comment

Working...
                                X