No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not in it for the money?

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
    Seeing as how I'm in it almost totally for the money (and thus cancel Bense out in some weird, cosmological way), I admire his philosophical stance. Ideally, a true artist -- and I mean TRUE artist -- would not be paid a dime for his or her work. When money enters into the equation, art suffers. Every time.

And when art suffers, culture suffers.

And when culture suffers, we cease to be human.

So bravo, Bense. I mean that sincerely.

That said, I think we can get Sinny to join our little drinking group. He just needs a bit of a nudge.
    I just have a difficult time thinking of screenwriting as art, because it isn't art by any definition of which I'm aware. Art is its own end. A screenplay isn't. It's not a final product.

You'll also need to schedule your drinking group around the dates of my other drinking groups. I've got openings on Tuesday mornings and late Sunday nights.

Comment

I was thinking Tuesday morning through Sunday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
        I just have a difficult time thinking of screenwriting as art, because it isn't art by any definition of which I'm aware. Art is its own end. A screenplay isn't. It's not a final product.
        I like Mazin's take: he calls it "transitional art." That's how I view it as well. It's part of a larger picture -- a moving picture, if you will. Aren't I clever?

You'll also need to schedule your drinking group around the dates of my other drinking groups. I've got openings on Tuesday mornings and late Sunday nights.
        Tomorrow morning. You. Me. A bottle of whatever strikes your fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
          I like Mazin's take: he calls it "transitional art." That's how I view it as well. It's part of a larger picture -- a moving picture, if you will. Aren't I clever?
          You lost me at the Rush reference.

Tomorrow morning. You. Me. A bottle of whatever strikes your fancy.
          Can we just hold each other and cry?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

EMILY, I am hot. And talented. Not to mention endlessly amusing. Would you like to dance?

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                EMILY, I am hot. And talented. Not to mention endlessly amusing. Would you like to dance?
                Yay! I can finally quit writing!
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Uggh. All it took was to ask. Maybe. Again, way to go JT...
                  " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bense18 View Post
                    I'm going to coast through the summer and see what comes out of the meetings with the people who "like my writing". If the hobby gets too tedious or boring, I'll go back to collecting baseball cards.

That's what referrals are for. That's what doing that "free rewrite" for a producer is for. That's what being a "nice guy" will get you. I think out of the 99% of the industry people I've met, we've hit it off instantly. And by instantly, I mean going to their parties that night, events scheduled, hanging out at their office and playing the Xbox all day. I guess I come off as more of a relaxed tactician than this guerrilla query **** anymore. This business, doesn't really mean much. It's the networking that I actually like.
                    Sounds like you may have been invited into some "clubhouses", which is actually (from what I've heard), one way to start a career. A lot of this business does seem to be who you know, and if you are having fun, and enjoying both the scene and the writing, more power to you!

I know that I write because I love it, when its going well. And of course, it would be great to make some money. But if you don't need the money, cool! However, please don't get the powers that be used to not needing to pay the screenwriter
                    sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

I doubt you're hanging with any pros...cuz anyone who earns a living as a writer knows the crap that must be endured...Hollywood isn't a charity...they'll be multi-millionaire's and billion dollar companies making big bucks off your slave labor...taking advantage of your ideas and hard work. Writing scripts and working in Hollywood isn't like helping your friend move for a day...and only those who have done it know it...Me thinks this is all a moot topic cuz if the OP isn't yanking chains...he's definitely never gonna sell a script.

Move on there's nothing to look at here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                        I doubt you're hanging with any pros...cuz anyone who earns a living as a writer knows the crap that must be endured...Hollywood isn't a charity...they'll be multi-millionaire's and billion dollar companies making big bucks off your slave labor...taking advantage of your ideas and hard work. Writing scripts and working in Hollywood isn't like helping your friend move for a day...and only those who have done it know it...Me thinks this is all a moot topic cuz if the OP isn't yanking chains...he's definitely never gonna sell a script.

Move on there's nothing to look at here.
                        Once again, another 2005'er thinking they know everything that's goin' on. I'll never sell a script, because that's not my direct intentions. But do know I will have some stuff produced. Stuff that I wrote and people liked. No, it isn't a charity. No, I'm not hanging out with any "pros". Instead, I am building a bond with these pros and showing them I'm not some desperate writer looking for an assignment or a script read. When a producer of a 10 million dollar movie in 2010 says "Thanks for that email. We should together sometime soon.", what the hell would you do? Say NO. I AM A WRITER. I STICK TO THE WRITER'S CODE. PAY ME FOR MY TIME.

I'm not writing scripts and working in Hollywood. I am hobbying around with a copy of Final Draft, and living in Venice Beach.

Comment

Is Venice Beach close to the studios? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                            Is Venice Beach close to the studios? Thanks.
                            Nope. That's what I like about it. Sony isn't too far on the bus.

Comment

When a producer of a 10 million dollar movie in 2010 says "Thanks for that email. We should together sometime soon.", what the hell would you do? Say NO. I AM A WRITER. I STICK TO THE WRITER'S CODE. PAY ME FOR MY TIME.
                              Dood...writers take meetings all the time with producers and don't get paid for them...duh! That's not what we're talking about here...The more and more you respond the more and more you sound like a clueless dweeb. Good luck in your endeavors...you're gonna need it!

Comment

That a bad thing to tell a potential manager or agent?
                                Clearly someone just made this up to have something for people to get riled about. As everyone has pointed out. Sit in your room and write all day and don't send it to everyone. Believe me. No one will chase you that hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X