Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

I meant to say, what if a new writer queried you a spec that had already gone wide. Are managers open to material, even if it went out a few years back? Or is it something most managers would shy away from?

Comment

Originally posted by ChristmasTree View Post
      I meant to say, what if a new writer queried you a spec that had already gone wide. Are managers open to material, even if it went out a few years back? Or is it something most managers would shy away from?
      That's a hard hypothetical question to answer. It varies in a case by case basis. It really comes down to how much they love the writing.
      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

One last one from me,

When you enter into a relationship with a fledging writer, what are the expectations, spoken or unspoken, on the writer?

Also, have you ever been extremely let down by a very talented scribe in these expectations?

I suppose I'm thinking about this as the NFL draft approaches, there are so many talented guys who can't get a "look" and so may who have all the tools , but for some reason or other fail at the "Next" level in their careers.
        He who laughs last is mentally slow

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteJest View Post
          One last one from me,

1.When you enter into a relationship with a fledging writer, what are the expectations, spoken or unspoken, on the writer?

2. Also, have you ever been extremely let down by a very talented scribe in these expectations?

3. I suppose I'm thinking about this as the NFL draft approaches, there are so many talented guys who can't get a "look" and so may who have all the tools , but for some reason or other fail at the "Next" level in their careers.
          1. That we both work hard. I hope they'll all be great, because I believe they can/will be.

2. No, but I'm young.

3. Just like the NFL, there are many factors as to why people work out and some don't. More goes into having a career than just being a good writer.
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Are you currently accepting queries for new writers?

Comment

You can just send it to me in a PM on here.......everyone else has..

-Michael
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post

-Michael
                    Am I the only one who hasn't? Do I get a medal?
                    "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Peasblossom hasn't ... yet.
                      sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

-Michael
                        I would only do this if I could send my entire log line list. It's the only way to go. Prodcos love it, so far. 13 queries on 4 pages. Very efficient. Then they don't hear from me for another year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulysses View Post
                          Am I the only one who hasn't? Do I get a medal?
                          Neither have I, and I suspect there are many others. Actually, I'd be curious (if Michael's willing to answer) what the percentage of "good" queries he's received online is...and if he has received any such ones, where does he go from there?

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
                            Neither have I, and I suspect there are many others. Actually, I'd be curious (if Michael's willing to answer) what the percentage of "good" queries he's received online is...and if he has received any such ones, where does he go from there?
                            %? Less than 5%. I read one and politely passed. Another I have not had a chance to read yet.

Putting together a good log line is no easy task. I feel a lot of people rush it opposed to really taking their time. Honestly, one thing I do when helping a client write a log line is write it, then walk away from it for a day so I can come back and read it with fresh eyes. Then work on it, take another day away from it and come back. It's a slow process, but you'll get there.

I should add, not all were written poorly, I just didn't respond to the ideas.
                            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

%? Less than 5%. I read one and politely passed. Another I have not had a chance to read yet.

Putting together a good log line is no easy task. I feel a lot of people rush it opposed to really taking their time. Honestly, one thing I do when helping a client write a log line is write it, then walk away from it for a day so I can come back and read it with fresh eyes. Then work on it, take another day away from it and come back. It's a slow process, but you'll get there.

I should add, not all were written poorly, I just didn't respond to the ideas.
                              Thanks for answering.

I'm also wondering: would you agree with the statement that you should always write your logline before the script so as to be sure the latter delivers on what the former promises?

And finally, any specific advice about how to write an effective logline? I've seen so many guru types preach a particular method, but don't recall hearing from anyone on the business side of things. I try to make my logline contain the protagonist, their goal, the antagonist, and the stakes associated with failure...but maybe this is not a proper approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
                                Thanks for answering.

I'm also wondering: would you agree with the statement that you should always write your logline before the script so as to be sure the latter delivers on what the former promises?
                                I hadn't heard that before. I mean, I write with an idea of a plot, but I always try to write the unexpected. Sometimes this evolves into a story thats, well, unexpected I guess it doesn't matter as long as the end result is magical. Everyone is different. What works for one cat may not work for another.

Comment

Working...
                                X