This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Truth About The Black List (blcklst.com) Must Read

Congrats! Don't see it as a shameless plug after all the work. Way to go, Jai...
    " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

So I can't even look at the website w/o paying a membership fee first? Is that how it works? Pay to play.

Comment

I promised to give up Blacklist threads, but this one pulled me back in.

Blacklist is primarily for seeing where your script stands in the marketplace. It's not necessarily determining your writing ability...whereas most contests are. I think there's a distinct difference there. That doesn't mean a well-written, commercial script can't win a contest (or, what are we talking about here, a semi-finalist? Oh...), but it does mean that many well-placed contest scripts probably won't score well or much above average on the Blacklist. It's a different animal. Plain and simple.

Lots and lots and lots of us are sound writers. We know how to pace and proper sequence, etc., we even have mastered our voice, but we're missing that solid concept that will make people want to spend money or their time developing. Contests don't care about that sort of thing. The Blacklist does.

From what I've seen from these threads where someone is upset with the Blacklist, people have really overestimated how unique or interesting their concept is. Like Comic Bent, I have also read countless pages of amateur scripts and I can't think of any that I thought were even above average as far as their concept and probably not in character development or dialogue either. In my opinion, there are some majorly skilled writers from a technical standpoint, but so many have absolutely nothing interesting to say.

As for the OP, for some reason I sincerely doubt a group of 38 writers is standing united for or against anything.
        On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

@bjamin

I thought registering was free - payment comes in when you upload a script. Could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ Scribe View Post
            Congrats! Don't see it as a shameless plug after all the work. Way to go, Jai...
            Thanks, MJ.
            FADE IN:
            PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
            NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
              Here's how committed we are to transparency: I can almost guarantee that Richard Lovett will not be calling you personally to kiss your ass.

But if he does, definitely let us know.
              Ah, you said almost guarantee. Almost. Its that quantifier that keeps me going...
              Watch the award winning feature film Whatever Makes You Happy www.WMYH-film.com

Comment

no way, SASQUATCH DUMPLING GANG, THE made the 2005 blacklist. that's so cool. I didn't even know they used a script for that film. I gotta find it.

Anyway, not every one who has their doubts about the black list is just bitching because their script scored low. Some actually believe it is wrong to cash in on other peoples hopes. It really is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                  Breaking news: Anonymous claims are meaningless hearsay, says Mr. TheRangeMatters!
                  I'm sorry, but this just cracked me up. Big time. Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

This is a long-ass thread. That is all...

Comment

The OP's speculated conspiracies don't even make sense.

I don't think it's possible to fake a writer's success...Blacklist intern or not.

I also don't see the play in giving writers sub par scores in order to get them to pay for more evaluations.

Trust me. I come from a long line of shills, carnies, and gypsies. That's not how you pull off a scam.
                      On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

I've read the responses in this thread, and some interesting assertions were made.

Franklin stated that the BL's readers are not all "former" readers, but they're still active as readers for what I would assume are, relevant organizations in film. I assume this would include the major and mid major companies that can be identified as real players in development. The veracity of this claim is unsupported by any evidence. Maybe it's true, and maybe it isn't'.

Franklin also mentioned some names of some "successful" BL participants. I'm going to research them and get back to all of you on it, ASAP.

Just to refocus the crux of this thread, let me say this:

This thread is NOT about a disgruntled writer or writers who got a low evaluation score and are angry about it. This thread is an analysis of evidentiary incongruities, inconsistencies, opaque rationales, and seemingly exploitative maneuvering on the part of the BL.

I understand why I'm on the receiving end of such explosive vitriol: this thread to some, is like me attempting to kill Santa Claus. I get it, and it's okay.

It's my position that the BL exploits and monetizes (brilliantly) the sweeping generalization (because no hard studies have actually occurred), that most scripts are not good.

With the aforementioned rationale in mind (hold that thought for a moment), your typical writer PAYS for an evaluation on the BL. The BL doesn't DEMAND that you pay for an evaluation, but they make it clear through powerful suggestion that if you want your script to garner any attention, that you SHOULD purchase a read. This is paying for access. This is pay to play, whatever you want to call it.

The writer purchases a read and the evaluation comes back with a low score. What does the writer do next? They:

a. Chalk up the low score to reader subjectivity, and purchase another read to see if the score will change. (Congrats, you've now spent a total of $100 on reads SO FAR).

b. Revise the script and submit it for another evaluation. (Looks like you've spent a total of $100 again, SO FAR, just in a different manner).

c. Pull the script in its entirety (and post a NEW script with a NEW evaluation, which again, puts you at $100 total spent SO FAR).

d. Pull the script and walk away from the BL completely. (Possible, but unlikely, because you're a writer that's thirsty and desperate for success and you feel this is the best and only way to make it happen).

When you consider the points above, you get a clear picture. The average writer is more LIKELY to engage in the comportments described in scenarios a, b, and c. These spending behaviors by the writer are protected and justified by the sweeping generalization I mentioned earlier, that most scripts are bad. "You got a low score because the script wasn't good," is what they say. Yes, this is possible, but what's also possible is this, and this is what I'm emphasizing: You could have also received a low score in order to keep you in the hamster wheel of engaging in the behavior scenarios described in points a, b, and c.

Do you see what's happening now? I'm inferencing that the broad commonality of "low scores" COULD be designed to keep you "coming back for more." This is Las Vegas online. This is online gambling, and this is what I have a problem with, and unfortunately, the hamster wheel will always be defended by the "most scripts are bad" adage.

Now let's flip it. You paid for your evaluation and you scored an 8, 9, or 10. This is amazing. This is great, but it's still just ONE evaluation. Another evaluation purchase is suggested to cement the greatness of your script so it can "gain traction." If you don't, you just have to hope and pray that it gains traction on it's own and the pros gravitate toward it. Yes, "hope," that thing that Barack Obama is always talking about.

And since the BL doesn't disclose who's reading or exactly what pivotal personnel is behind its membership, all you've got is hope and a few less dollars in your pocket (HUNDREDS less). So the issues here are serious. You don't know who, or if anyone that is a REAL player, is actually getting exposed to your submissions (like I said, I'm going to research the alleged success stories with a fine toothed comb), and two, whether you win (long shot) or lose (most likely), you're going to PAY. The only winner here is the BL. Every time.

Meditate on that, and meditate hard before you respond.
                        Last edited by TheRangeMatters; 01-21-2014, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRangeMatters View Post
                          Franklin, while I find it noble that you would want to speak with my group in person, it won't be necessary because everyone has pretty much made up their minds on this.
                          I think it's safe to say Franklin has been spared the awkwardness of appearing, fully prepared, before 38 imaginary non-professional writers.

Comment

So by your rationale, can I question whether you've actually even written a script? You've shown no proof that you have. And how exactly am I supposed to know that its any good? Just because you say it is? I have no way to verify that. For all I know you could be a plant from Scriptdoctor just looking to take down the competition.
                            Wait. Are you Howard Allen? Bad script analyst. Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRangeMatters View Post
                              Yes, "hope," that thing that Barack Obama is always talking about.

And since the BL doesn't disclose who's reading or exactly what pivotal personnel is behind its membership, all you've got is hope and a few less dollars in your pocket (HUNDREDS less). So the issues here are serious.

Meditate on that, and meditate hard before you respond.
                              So the Gov't is behind it all. Yes, I see, it's all coming together. Those bastards are stealing my hard earned money and giving it to those Liberals in Hollywood!

Thank you the rangematters for diligent investigation.

Comment

Oh, I'm not calling Howard Allen a bad script analyst. I don't know the first thing about him. I Just grabbed his name for the gag. I'm sure he's a fine human being.

Comment

Working...
                                X