No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colombiana Trailer

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
    has anyone here actually seen it? just curious. i saw it last weekend and it's actually pretty decent. not perfect but i enjoyed it and i liked the dark style of the filming.

spoilers
    SPOILERS!!!

I've seen it. Solid film. BUT I hated that scene in front of the school where the guy shoots up a car in broad daylight and then asks her to choose between the gun and a backpack! Beyond far-fetched, like from a different universe far-fetched!
    Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

yep, i'm with you.

spoilers

i think the young girl was an excellent casting decision. haunting eyes. my favorite part of the whole film, oddly enough, was when they kept focus on her during that violence at the beginning. it made the moment all the more powerful by not letting us see it.
      life happens
      despite a few cracked pots-
      and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post

Actually, Jeeja Yanin is the girl I've set a few hopes on
        LOVE her. Was blown away by her performance in Chocolate and been anxiously awaiting something new and amazing from her. She should really be an international crossover sensation like Yeoh or Zhang. Just gotta give it time I suppose.

Comment

A clarification and a bit of interesting trivia:

In my earlier post, I identified the FBI investigator ('Ross') as 'African-American' (and thought the actor was). The actor, Lennie James, is actually British, born to parents from Trinidad, according to IMDB.

Also, during the movie and the credits, I did not notice that the full character name of Cataleya's uncle is 'Emilio Restrepo', played by Cliff Curtis.

"Restrepo", some will recall, is the title of a gritty documentary from last year about American soldiers in Afghanistan. The title comes from the name of the soldiers' camp, which in turn was named after Private First Class Juan "Doc" Restrepo, who was killed in Afghanistan.

Perhaps (another?) subliminal message from Luc Besson & company.
          Last edited by Donreel; 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
            No apology necessary If only all of DD debates could end so amicably.

As to the Cinderella script, I still can't really talk about it and this isn't the right place. Although keeping it on topic with the female lead side, we've already had it read by three well known actresses. Two rejections and one attached (through gentleman's agreement.... no contract). We've since moved on from her following some.... less than positive feedback.

Wish I could say more. Having been rejected by two top-of-their-game actresses, I feel the need to share my misfortune..... but can't.
            That we all couldn't suffer such misfortune, A. I know it must be disappointing for you and, as you said, this isn't the arena for discussion of it, but it must be great to be making such moves!

All the best,

Mart
            @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
              I've been following this thread with interest having a female lead actioner out there at the moment.

Seems to be a lot of people are citing the lack of B.O. as evidence that either the movie has flaws or that no-one wants to see female actioners.

Ermmm..... no.

Another case of morons treating the symptom and not the problem.

It has nothing to do with male, female, black, white, hurricanes, summer...NONE OF THAT SHlT MATTERS.

People are not going to this movie because the marketing tells us that the concept is low, dull, boring, exhausted, garden-variety, (your adjective here).

Boring concept = people not interested.

Anyone who honestly believes it has anything to do with Zoe being a woman or not being white is stupid beyond words. We will have to invent new words to accurately convey such an astronomical level of stupidity, and I don't feel like doing that today.

Comment

Colombiana dropped down from #2 to #6 in a week. Next week it won't even be in the top 10. The hurricane didn't have a damn thing to do with it's sales, it's just that nobody cares enough about it to go see it. There's nothing in that trailer at all that most people haven't seen already in a typical 80's or early 90's revenge/action flick. The only thing different is that it's Zoe instead of Jean Claude Van Damme or Steven Segal.
                "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

Originally posted by Dock View Post
                  Colombiana dropped down from #2 to #6 in a week. Next week it won't even be in the top 10. The hurricane didn't have a damn thing to do with it's sales, it's just that nobody cares enough about it to go see it. There's nothing in that trailer at all that most people haven't seen already in a typical 80's or early 90's revenge/action flick. The only thing different is that it's Zoe instead of Jean Claude Van Damme or Steven Segal.
                  Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dock View Post
                    Hard to argue with this.
                    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Fun junky action - I liked it. Hated the big end fight scene where they hired an epileptic as DP. Lennie James was in SNATCH and I was on a film fest jury with him - he's a great guy. The uncle, Cliff Curtis, is one of my favorite actors - from New Zealand. Both of these guys do great American accents and can play just about anything.

Zoe is hot, and they found great ways to exploit that.

I want to do a movie where a baby in a crib witnesses his parents being killed. grabs a machine gun, and - as a baby - tracks and kills the bad guys. Doorbell rings, bodyguard looks out - no one there - opens the door, baby with a machine gun crawling on the floor blows him away.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                        Boring concept = people not interested.
                        Where, as a rule of thumb, I agree, for ACTION films, I cannot.

For me, watching an action film is about how much arse it kicks.
                        Oh, but it also has to have something credible going for it, which is why Suckerpunch ate sh!t and Tony Jaa RULES!

Let's compare the two:

- Girls look good but are never in any danger in a so-horrible-it-hurts attempt to make a cool, "trippy" flick. With bad music.

- Tony Jaa lays the beat down on bad dudes FOR GREAT JUSTICE. His action scenes are awesome, whether we care about the the elephant he's trying to save or not.

Jaa's flicks sell simply by him throwing a few kicks and elbows in the adverts; Suckerpunch tried to fool the world that they'd be watching some high-concept, visually stunning action-fest with hot girls in school uniforms.

Now let's take a look at a few others:

- Commando (the BEST action film EVER. Try to deny it) Man sets out to rescue his kidnapped daughter and kills an army in the process.

- Maximum Risk (probably on of Van Damme's best) Cop finds out he has a twin brother... well, DEAD twin brother. He visits New York to find out more about his twin, only to be mistaken for him and set upon by the Russian mafia.

- Rambo (the '85 classic) Man goes to Vietnam to rescue POWs, despite the war having ended 10 years previously.

- District 13 (everyone should have seen this!) A cop teams up with a man whose sister has been kidnapped to find a bomb stolen by a Parisian gang.

- The Killer (John Woo's masterpiece) A hitman takes one last gig so that he can retire... but is betrayed. He teams up with a cop to get revenge.

Hmm, so what do we have:
                        Vengeance, kidnapped beloved, mistaken identity and WTF? Nothing original there.
                        These films all worked though because of the execution. Word-of-mouth and pumped-up reviewers who ENJOY action flicks and not weak-arse, dull indie dramas helped spread the word.

Colombiana looks weak because the lead does.
                        Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                          I want to do a movie where a baby in a crib witnesses his parents being killed. grabs a machine gun, and - as a baby - tracks and kills the bad guys. Doorbell rings, bodyguard looks out - no one there - opens the door, baby with a machine gun crawling on the floor blows him away.
                          Stewie
                          http://pective.com/m/stewie-griffin

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                            Colombiana looks weak because the lead does.
                            i'll take 10% of that weak and raise you 20.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                              I want to do a movie where a baby in a crib witnesses his parents being killed. grabs a machine gun, and - as a baby - tracks and kills the bad guys.
                              So you've never seen Kung Pow?
                              Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Album View Post
                                SPOILERS!!!

I've seen it. Solid film. BUT I hated that scene in front of the school where the guy shoots up a car in broad daylight and then asks her to choose between the gun and a backpack! Beyond far-fetched, like from a different universe far-fetched!
                                Yeah, and this goes on while the police turn up!

Even better was the vomit on the desk scene - just carry on a conversation between two people with a pile of vom, and no-one thinks to clean to up that digusting mess. Hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X