Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've shot a pilot - what now?

Recently I wrote a few episodes for a comedy show that I went ahead and shot in a studio with a professional team of cast and crew. I'm thrilled with the result.

I'm a writer without an agent, my decision to shoot the pilots was based on feedback from "people in the business" who suggested that I produce something rather than just lock myself in a room churning out pages and pages of scripts.

Worst case scenario, I'd love a job on an existing show, best case scenario I'd love someone (a network) to throw money at me and my show.

Should I approach a production company, a network, an agent?

Thanks
    Those who could benefit most from therapy can't afford it.

Re: I've shot a pilot - what now?

Congratulations! I think it's great to have your writing produced. I don't think being a staffed writer is a worst case scenario so much as no one seeing your work! Have you shown it to the "people in the business" who encouraged you to make it? Did they have any feedback?

In general, studios and networks like to develop the script and weigh in on pilot decisions because of the large investment involved. You could show your pilot to them as a calling card, but I think it's unrealistic to think the pilot will be bought after you made it. Maybe they would want to redevelop the idea, but from an unknown, it would have to be very well executed to begin with (let's assume it is but that you don't have network connections).

I'm not sure if things may be a little more open in Canada, but in the US so far no independent pilot has been bought by a network to become a series. The best examples of shot projects to become successfully aired series include SUNNY IN PHILLY (which was developed based off a video presentation of repped actors) and WORKAHOLICS (which was developed from a web series). Jane Espenson recently shot an independent pilot to be aired as eleven two-minute webisodes, but also to be shopped to networks - but she's a high-level writer so she can have a different business strategy.

Without a rep, I think your best option if you're looking at the US is to put it online somehow. A friend of mine was the first guy to get Hulu to air a season of an independent half-hour comedy series so if you want to make the rest of the episodes you've written, maybe you could approach them. Or just chop up the pilot you have now into 2-5 minute chunks (or by acts maybe?) and throw it on youTube.

There are also a couple of independent TV festivals which you could submit to including the NYTVF and the International TV Festival in LA. Good luck!

Anyone else have any experiences to share?

Comment

Killer, thanks for your advice.

The episodes are each 6 minutes long, I shot it TV broadcast quality but obviously each episode is web-ready so it can be viewed on Vimeo/YouTube.

My concept (TV talkshow format) can, in theory, be upscaled to any length. If it was picked up by a network I'd see it as a 20-25 minute piece.

Comment

I bet those TV contest things are a good bet. NYTV something ... Also, like they said about Hulu. Try Web Series Channel or Koldcast.TV and things like that. Congrats!

Comment

"I've shot a pilot – what now?"

Get a criminal lawyer.
          Last edited by Mark Somers; 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM.
          TRIAL FORUMS

​
          ​

Comment

Ha! I was waiting for the "but who shot the flight attendant?". Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon Solo View Post
              Recently I wrote a few episodes for a comedy show that I went ahead and shot in a studio with a professional team of cast and crew. I'm thrilled with the result.

I'm a writer without an agent, my decision to shoot the pilots was based on feedback from "people in the business" who suggested that I produce something rather than just lock myself in a room churning out pages and pages of scripts.

Worst case scenario, I'd love a job on an existing show, best case scenario I'd love someone (a network) to throw money at me and my show.

Should I approach a production company, a network, an agent?

Thanks
              Email me: [email protected]
              Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Congrats! Right on!
                I'm doing the same with my start up.

Working on shooting trailers for indie genre features for investors.
                Put the trailers, anywhere from a 10 second teaser to a 45 second full, along with concept art and boards and the script. Each indie feature stands on its own but is also part of a 3 picture franchise.

Then it's onto shooting a tv pilot as well.
                Is it tough, doing the producer thing on top of writing, directing and editing?
                Uhhh yeah. Along with submitting big budget specs to the market.

But it's worth it. For success in the digital age...it's along about being the driven DIY; using the latest dig cameras and editing softwear...and really creating outside the box. Go right to the global audience.

Good luck on your stuff.

MARK11

Comment

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I must say that I loved taking a break from writing. I also liked the multi-tasking thing, if something goes wrong you've no one else to blame but yourself.

Comment

The New York Television Festival - www.nytvf.com - has a couple of great pilot contests (film and script) each year, at least one of which has no entry fee, and at least one is a comedy pilot - but the contests are open (official rules) only to residents of the states. Any friends stateside to reside with? Go to the site, get on email list, and query them (you can ask questions from the site; usually a fast response) as to whether rules are interpreted to mean citizenship or residency. Their rules also require contest entrants to sign an affidavit that the script or film has NOT been posted in any public forum. Good luck.

Comment

Yeah, I've been on the NYTVF mailing list for years, the non-national/resident rule is irritating (I'm an Irish citizen with Canadian residency). I do have friends in the US who might "lend" me their address (for a fee).

Another question I have, regarding representation-

I'm not repped at the moment, I know the drill when I'm shopping around a script with query letter etc but in this case where I have an actual project shot, am I seeking representation for myself, the project or both?

And is my first contact still a query letter (via email) with a "killer" log line OR should the initial query letter have a link to the project OR should I wait to be asked for the link? (sorry I'm sure there was a simpler way to ask that question).

Comment

Email Mike, who responded earlier.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Working...
                        X