Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remakes

I just completed my latest script and I'm trying to decide what to tackle next. There is a movie that came out in the 90s that I would love to remake. My question is, have any of you guys written a remake on spec? Furthermore, how would you approach writing a remake?

Re: Remakes

Get the rights to the project first, or find a producer who can for you. No point spending 3 months+ on a script that can't get made if the rights are already taken.

As for the approach, you take the story and apply it to suit where and when you want to set the story. If it's an 80's film that deals with WW2 atrocities committed by soldiers, maybe you could take the stories and characters and place them in an Iraq setting present day. Or if the original story was about a woman in the 50's fighting for a job, why not change it to a woman in 2015 fighting for equal pay and conditions? Maybe instead of the 1990's terrorist nuke plot detail, you make the weapon something to do with climate change. Whatever you do, make sure the theme is relatable to the world your audience currently lives in.

What is it about this story you love? Take all of that, whether it's cool witty dialogue, or the emotional arc of the hero's journey - whatever, you want to harness that in your version.

Stay true to the source material, but use your own liberties to change elements you think would be better changed for your version. Respect the source material is what I'm saying. Remember there is an audience for this film/book already, so make sure you acknowledge them.

Also, have fun with it. Make nods to the original property where you can. Maybe there was controversy surrounding the original material about your character wearing a short dress. Why not have a scene where your lead is offered to wear a short dress and balks at it, commenting about the change in time period, or having better taste? I should note this is best served for once you have your project at a later stage of development, then add the Easter eggs etc; but I guess remaking something means the hard work is done.

The above has been my approach going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by ricther View Post
      I just completed my latest script and I'm trying to decide what to tackle next. There is a movie that came out in the 90s that I would love to remake. My question is, have any of you guys written a remake on spec? Furthermore, how would you approach writing a remake?
      Don't do it.

It's a mark of an amateur.

Pros do remakes with the consent and cooperation of the rights holders.

I could write several paragraphs about why this is a bad idea. It's hard to circulate. It's not a great indication of your abilities as a writer. It'll be extremely difficult to get anyone to read it, compared to an original. There may already be a version of the project in development. I could go on ...

I agree with Evan: Figure out what it is you love about that story, and find a way to tell an original story that includes those elements but is fundamentally its own story.

(This means restructuring, redefining characters, etc. I read a script last year, for example, that was clearly influenced by the Limey. To the point where I could predict plot turns several pages in advance because it was that close - scene after scene was a re-imagining of scenes from the Limey. Don't do that.)

Comment

+1. I might re-word one line of dialogue as a little tribute to a movie that meant something to me if it fits a scene but that's all, and that is rare. Personally, I think it is unethical and if I knew somebody had written a follow-up to my stuff without legal permission I'd be beyond pissed-off. Writing it as fun is a way to learn, and that's fine, but don't let anyone see it but you.
        Last edited by AE35-Unit; 02-18-2015, 03:20 PM.
        We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I guess i'll have to wait until i'm in a position to pursue such a project. I just really love the source material and I think it would be a great film to remake for today. The film is "The Craft" btw that came out in '96. There has been rumors of a remake since '06, but its just been rumors.

Plus I figured I try and tackle something pre-existing with a built in audience, i.e. comic book, novel, remake, etc.

Comment

Why can't you write your own film about a group of witches at high school?

Concept's can't be made copyright.

Comment

To Ricther: Nah, forget it. I know where you're coming from, but you gotta be original and develop your own voice and style. Currently I'm reading the best of O. Henry to maybe pick up on an idea, and may or not find one, but even though his works are public domain, I'd still credit it as based on his story. Hell, even the Cohen's did that with "Oh, Brother" - based on "The Odyssey" - and that story is like 2000 years old. But they still made it original.

Comment

Originally posted by evan_g View Post
                Why can't you write your own film about a group of witches at high school?

Concept's can't be made copyright.
                You can write whatever you want, but "remaking" someone else's work and throwing it out there as your own is not only stupid without the rights to it, it is wrong, and they will ALL know you tried it. And Hollywood is a small town with one hell of a memory. So if you're serious about this business, don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
                  You can write whatever you want, but "remaking" someone else's work and throwing it out there as your own is not only stupid without the rights to it, it is wrong, and they will ALL know you tried it. And Hollywood is a small town with one hell of a memory. So if you're serious about this business, don't do it.
                  Wait. Where did I say to remake someone else's work?

Comment

To Ricther: Nah, forget it. I know where you're coming from, but you gotta be original and develop your own voice and style. Currently I'm reading the best of O. Henry to maybe pick up on an idea, and may or not find one, but even though his works are public domain, I'd still credit it as based on his story. Hell, even the Cohen's did that with "Oh, Brother" - based on "The Odyssey" - and that story is like 2000 years old. But they still made it original.
                    Yeah I've written a few scripts and I have lots of other ideas, but with a lot of stuff coming out of Hollywood seeming to be based on something I figured I try and hop on the bandwagon so to speak for at least one time.

Comment

Write what you know, about something you care about, and get good at it; then screw the idea of what you think Hollywood wants because they don't a have a f*cking clue what they want - so how can you? I'm just telling you what is working for me, and that's all. I haven't made a deal yet, but I'm a lot closer than I was three years ago and people like my stuff so that in itself is a milestone.

You are delving into a business that is the most difficult in the world to break into, other than being the Pope or something. And if, just if, you're lucky enough to sell one day, doesn't mean it will EVER be produced. And that's the way it is. But chasing what you think Hollywood wants is a waste of time.

If you wanna chase something, start chasing the Indie market. Write something contained that can be shot for cheap - still has to be a knockout script, mind you - but that's where I go to make progress because I'm a nobody - but it's working. And a little progress is better than none.
                      Last edited by AE35-Unit; 02-18-2015, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Write what you know, about something you care about, and get good at it; then screw the idea of what you think Hollywood wants because they don't a have a f*cking clue what they want - so how can you? I'm just telling you what is working for me, that's all.
                        I hear you. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I wish you nothing but success.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I guess i'll have to wait until i'm in a position to pursue such a project. I just really love the source material and I think it would be a great film to remake for today. The film is "The Craft" btw that came out in '96. There has been rumors of a remake since '06, but its just been rumors.
                            Well, by the time rumors reach the outside-the-industry sources, that usually means ideas are being kicked around in Hollywood. It's quite possible that if you heard rumors (and you're not in the agency/development/writer community) that scripts have been commissioned, tried out, put back on the shelf, etc.

Odds are good that there's a development history here that you're unaware of.

Comment

Yeah I've written a few scripts and I have lots of other ideas, but with a lot of stuff coming out of Hollywood seeming to be based on something I figured I try and hop on the bandwagon so to speak for at least one time.
                              There is a lot of material in the public domain if you want to try this. Re-imagining fairy tales was a big trend a while back. That might be an alternative route if you want to give this a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X