Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WGA Foundation Notes on Craft 2010

Last night it was Premise and Concept. Here are my notes if anyone is interested. Sorry if it's boring, but you might find some information helpful.

http://dizzydentfilms.blogspot.com/2...res-movie.html

Have a good weekend.
    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Re: WGA Foundation Notes on Craft 2010

Having just finished a script that falls into the "familiar yet unique," I can say that it also helps the writing aspect because the characters have a richness built-in that you don't have to re-invent the wheel from page 1.

Nice blog, btw.

Comment

Great write-up! Hard to go to those when you're on the other side of the world. Truly appreciated.

Also interesting to read that Daniel Pyne is writing a draft for The Stars My Destination. Didn't know he was attached to that. 40 writers over 50 years, damn, but it is a great book.
      Last edited by Mountain Goat; 10-16-2010, 06:36 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

This was interesting - thanks Natasha. Although, I can't help but think writers who broke in "with a good idea for a movie" 15 years ago were writing specs in a far different economic/film industry climate than they are - let's say - this month.

And on the point of "what makes a great movie" ... hmm.

Well, I think I may have stumbled on a good idea for a movie earlier this week after meeting with two people who are looking for someone to ghostwrite their story. I have no idea if I'll get the gig -- they're interviewing a dozen freelancers through next week.

Before we interviewed, they were keeping the hook of their story close to their chests. But once they revealed it to me I could see the whole zeitgeist thing al la "The Social Network." I told them I would like to adapt their story to a screenplay. So, for the next couple of days I was seeing only possibilities for the screen version. But then I saw the weak spots -- first, it's not Facebook. Second, where their story starts -- though incredibly intriguing -- it does not have a whammo ending for the protags. No amazing riches, no amazing failure. Just - life goes on.

And, as I picked at the weaknesses of the idea's commercial viability, I realized this is what execs must do. Ha! Then it became clear to me, I was able to see the weak spots because it wasn't my idea -- I could be more objective analyzing their story. This little exercise has now forced me to put on the brakes with my current script and work harder at objectivity -- though my idea intrigues me will the gatekeepers believe it can appeal to a wider market right now, at this point in time? I think this goes far beyond the familar yet different credo. Sigh.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

"strange attractor" - i like that term.

Comment

I love that blog, man... life with the dull parts cut out. Thanks for referencing it. I feel slightly better about my gigantic insecurities after reading it. My favorite:

"You'll know when you have a great concept when you have it."

guess I'm still in the dark.
            " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Thank you all for reading entry.

SC, another thing that always comes up during these WGA events is how different the movie business is. They reference successful, high-grossing movies from the 70s, 80s and even 90s and say "this movie would never get made today."

Loeb also said to keep in mind that stars still have a lot of power. Robert Downey Jr. doesn't just want to make Iron Man X. Stars want great roles and the studios will greenlight original movies because the stars wants these movies and they HAVE to give those movies to them.
              Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Very informative. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                  Thank you all for reading entry.

SC, another thing that always comes up during these WGA events is how different the movie business is. They reference successful, high-grossing movies from the 70s, 80s and even 90s and say "this movie would never get made today."

Loeb also said to keep in mind that stars still have a lot of power. Robert Downey Jr. doesn't just want to make Iron Man X. Stars want great roles and the studios will greenlight original movies because the stars wants these movies and they HAVE to give those movies to them.
                  I've heard that too. I've even heard some say Little Miss Sunshine would not fare as well today.

I'm wondering too -- does Downey really have the power to get them to make a film they don't want to make. I mean - some pretty big stars have gotten the shaft by studios in the last few years, no?

I have a gut feeling Hollywood is evolving its business model in such a way that it will soon produce only big spectacle films.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                    I've heard that too. I've even heard some say Little Miss Sunshine would not fare as well today.

I'm wondering too -- does Downey really have the power to get them to make a film they don't want to make. I mean - some pretty big stars have gotten the shaft by studios in the last few years, no?

I have a gut feeling Hollywood is evolving its business model in such a way that it will soon produce only big spectacle films.
                    Well, they said for sure the dirtiest word in Hollywood is DRAMA.

Comment

Thanks for posting this on your blog and sharing, Natacha.
                      Well said Now I will go and 'paint' my screenplay!
                      si

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                        Well, they said for sure the dirtiest word in Hollywood is DRAMA.
                        For film. If you want to pursue drama, go into TV ... or the theater.

Good job BTW.
                        Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Okay, here are my notes from last night's Story and Structure.

http://dizzydentfilms.blogspot.com/2...or-excite.html

Comment

Very informative, thank you, Natacha...

KWV

Comment

My process is freakishly close to Robin Swicord's.

Good stuff, Natacha.

Comment

Working...
                              X