Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formating a dream sequece

Hi...Haven't posted for awhile. Got two questions on how to? First one is easy... I have a character without a name who speaks dialogue, say DOORMAN for example. Do I cap the D everytime he's described in the action?
    The other question is, how to format a quick cut dream sequence. A character has a nightmare about his experience in the war, then suddenly wakes up.
    To write the dream sequence, however short, do I write the scene heading or ???
    Thanx

Re: Formating a dream sequece

You don't just caps the D, you caps the entire word DOORMAN. This brings it to the actor's attention so he/she knows there's something that involves their character, however small a part it is. (And I'll bet there will be differing opinions about this.)

Dream sequencing is just like any other scene, you just have to make it clear that the scene is part of the dream sequence but it should have its own heading if there's a change in scenery. Anything that involves changing settings should have its own heading. So, assuming your character falls asleep in the bedroom, your dream sequence would look something like this:

EXT. GRASS FIELD - DAY (DREAM SEQUENCE)

NAMELESS wades through the thick grass, rifle ready, fear written all over his face.

INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT

NAMELESS wakes up, bathed in sweat and panting heavily.
    or you could do something like this:

BEGIN DREAM SEQUENCE

EXT. GRASS FIELD - DAY

NAMELESS wades through the thick grass, rifle ready, fear written all over his face.

END DREAM SEQUENCE

INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT

NAMELESS wakes up, bathed in sweat and panting heavily.
    or there are various other methods available to you. You just need to make it clear when the dream sequence begins, what scenes are part of it, and when it ends.
    Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.
      On the DOORMAN, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I know to cap all letters the first time he's introduced in the action line and of course when he speaks. What I'm asking is, if I use him in further action say ten pages later do I cap the D? like the Doorman returns? Or is it the doorman returns?
      The dream sequence help is good. I guess it's important that I state it is a dream sequence in the scene header?

Comment

If it's a unique doorman, as in "the" Doorman you introduced earlier as DOORMAN, I'd cap the first letter, sure, every time he shows up. You don't want to do anything to confuse the reader!

It might help to think of it like the general rule for capitalization. If it's "a" moon, it's like that. If it's "the" Moon, ie. "ours", then it's Moon.

Comment

Thanx for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by 5townsguy View Post
            Thanks for the quick response.
            On the DOORMAN, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I know to cap all letters the first time he's introduced in the action line and of course when he speaks. What I'm asking is, if I use him in further action say ten pages later do I cap the D? like the Doorman returns? Or is it the doorman returns?
            The dream sequence help is good. I guess it's important that I state it is a dream sequence in the scene header?
            For all intents and purposes, DOORMAN is his name in the script. I would continue treating it like a proper noun and cap it accordingly. Even if the word used is generally considered a common noun otherwise, we are using it as a unique identifying name for a character in the script, and thus, it becomes THAT character's name.

Comment

You already introduced the character with the caps, so it isn't necessary to cap the name (within the action line) again, ie:

The doorman opens his eyes, only to find that he's dreaming once again.

INT. BEDROOM - (DREAM SEQUENCE) - DAY

DOORMAN
              Why I must be dreaming
              once again.

KWV
              Last edited by Kwvillen; 11-06-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I'm working on a script now with several dream sequences - and not doing a damned thing to indicate it is a dream. First time around, I don't want the audience to know it's a dream, and after that - I think if the character wakes up afterwards, they'll figure it out. The way the sequences are shot are no different than the way any other scenes in the film will be shot (as far as I know), so why indicate it in the slug line or anywhere else?

Much depends on what you want the reader/audience to think.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                X