Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toni Erdmann Remake

How common is it for a film to be written and produced in Europe and then to be sold and produced in the U.S., like TONI ERDMANN?

Would the original [European] contract have had to include language to allow for this second production to be made in the U.S.?

Re: Toni Erdmann Remake

Originally posted by SBdeb View Post
    How common is it for a film to be written and produced in Europe and then to be sold and produced in the U.S., like TONI ERDMANN?

Would the original [European] contract have had to include language to allow for this second production to be made in the U.S.?
    not uncommon. they're remaking the French "Intouchables" with Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart.

i don't think one production has much to do with a foreign remake. the owner(s) of the original can presumably license or option the rights to anyone anywhere to make another version for the right price

Comment

It's more common than you think. Most people don't know that TRUE LIES is a remake of a French movie.

No need to have anything in the original contract, the rights holder negotiates with the US studio/producer/whoever wants the remake rights.

You can also do foreign language rights deals on unmade scripts. I know one team who did a deal for the German language rights to their unmade US spec script. Got made in Germany, still not been made in US.

Comment

This is actually very common, in both film and TV. Not just TRUE LIES but also THREE MEN AND A BABY were originally French films. There was an excellent German film about a female chef that was remade into a mediocre American film with Catherine Zeta Jones (I forget the title). In TV, HOMELAND was originally an Israeli series, and ALL IN THE FAMILY was a British series.

I don't think there needs to be anything in the original contract about foreign remakes. That can always be negotiated later by the producers.

Addendum to Northbank's post: there was a very popular, delightful German rom-com several years ago called STADTGESPRACH ("Talk of the Town-) which was made from an American writer's screenplay. The writer couldn't sell it in America but got it set up in Germany where it was translated and produced.

Late Night Writer

Comment

As noted above, it's fairly common.

I did a quick search through our main film "Deals" (only) and quickly came up with these rough numbers for remakes of foreign films we've listed in the last 20 years:

100+ French
          15 Danish
          19 German
          30 Japanese
          40 Korean

I rounded down some to try to eliminate any duplicate listings such as picking up the English language rights then later assigning a writer to adapt.

This list doesn't include any TV show remakes of foreign series, which is fairly common as well.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
          X