A large international company likes my TV drama script. What now?!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A large international company likes my TV drama script. What now?!

Hi all
    I gave up a full time job last year to give screenwriting a real go and a big UK company, which has acquired loads of smaller companies, read it and liked it.

They said the next step is that they send it to their producers to see if they like it and if it's a good fit.

As someone with no real insight, can anyone tell me what the process here is?
    I mean, it's great that the head of global drama likes my script but do they have any real clout with their producers?

It's been almost three weeks since I heard from them and I wonder how long these things take. Is it a case of weeks or months?

Sorry for the impatience but it's been a year of no money coming in and while I saved enough to last this long, it can't really continue indefinitely. Of course it would be amazing if someone liked the script and wanted to develop it but I have to wear my reality hat and keep an eye open for jobs too.

Any insight into this process would be really really appreciated.
    Thanks all.

Re: A large international company likes my TV drama script. What now?!

for the UK market or with an eye to producing for the US? i have a sense for how shows are sold here but less how it works in the UK.

but generally, if they buy the script, the producers will shop it to their contacts at BBC, Channel 4, ITV, Sky or whatever. if the network is interested, then presumably everyone starts talking deal structure (which may or may not include you, depending what the terms of sale with the production company might have been when you sold it to them)

time frames i would expect to be in weeks not months, but again i don't know what the development schedule looks like in the UK. for US networks, there is a general "pilot season" where the year's potential new shows are bought at the script stage in early fall, then given a pilot order (go shoot the first episode) by around the end of the year. pilots shoot in Jan-March and then networks decide whether to pick them up ("go to series") in the spring. but also, with cable and streaming, decisions are being made year round on no particularly set schedule

Comment

Re: A large international company likes my TV drama script. What now?!

Thanks Joe.
      As they have companies in both Europe and the US, I don't know where it's been sent. The script is set in the UK but the story can fit anywhere really.
      I think I'll just have to be patient and keep everything crossed for a positive outcome.

Comment

Working...
      X