Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it okay to do a "spoofy" scene

im writing this comedy, and the main setting is the office full of cubicles...

mostly slacker/geeky types....

anyways, I wanted to have the main char, pull a practical joke on the new guy.... but the joke I have in mind, mimics the scene in the matrix, when neo gets the cell phone, and it rings and morpheous gives him instructions...

The joke basically ends with new guy opening the office door that he was directed to, and there is main char with a voice modulator on the office phone, now cracking up....

anyways, my questions is... is it okay to do that? Do I need to get any permissions or anything like that?

Im not doing a full blown spoofy movie, like the wayans movies, and dont plan on having any other spoofy type scenes.... but i like the scene and would like to keep it if possible

Re: Is it okay to do a "spoofy" scene

BRADLEY
    My gut tells me ...

Bradly opens his shirt to reveal a
    "mini-Brad" growing out of his
    stomach.

MINI-BRAD
    No.

You can consider changing it a bit. Its doesn't have to be a "life-or-death" scenario. There can be the promise of some kind of prize at the end of trail.
    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

If it's a spoof it's got to be fine.... right? i'm not sure. Any lawyers around?

And I don't see the point of changing it - he's spoofing that specific scene.

Comment

it would not be exactly like the neo scene... obviously there are no "agents" and no one's life is in jeopardy at the tech support center....

but was thinking, something along these lines....

New guys starts first day on the floor.... is givin his "new" blackberry for work (really main chars phone)... he sits, it rings, he answers, he doesnt recognize the voice, the voice knows his name, knows about his arrest record and home address or something... security walks in (unknown to new guy, but for totaly unrelated reason that main char set up) he is givin directions, and ends up lead to office... opens door, and there is main char, laughing, with voice mod on phone, and new guys "file/record" on the PC screen... "just messin with ya new guy... now gimme my phone, and get to work"

Comment

recreating scenes as homage...not uncommon; spoofs are common.

If you are making fun of the Matrix scene, then it's protected as satire.
          If not, then read this:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

i didn't find it on the wiki page, but I remember that there has to be a significant amount of material lifted from a source to constitute infringement.

One scene doesn't reach that threshold, but you should talk to an attorney if the script ever gets some action.

see also, Rear Window vs. Disturbia
          http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...sturbia-a.html

Non-Remake Remakes
          http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...4.photogallery

Comment

incidentally, Big Clock and No Way Out...really want to write one of these stories. I love both of them.

Comment

Working...
            X