Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastor, Reverend or Minister?

I have a character who is doing Bible study at a church (denomination isn't important). It's a brief, one time mention. What would make most sense between these three: Pastor, Reverend or Minister? Thanks.

Re: Pastor, Reverend or Minister?

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
    I have a character who is doing Bible study at a church (denomination isn't important). It's a brief, one time mention. What would make most sense between these three: Pastor, Reverend or Minister? Thanks.
    I don't know the answer but I think the denomination is important. What about father?

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

I don't know the answer either, but my suspicion is whatever title you use will point to a probable denomination, so you might want to go ahead and just pick one.
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

In Christian churches, a minister is someone who is authorized by a church or religious organization to perform clergy functions such as teaching of beliefs; performing services such as weddings, baptisms or funerals; or otherwise providing spiritual guidance to the community.

The term Pastor tends to be used in many Protestant churches. Pastor comes from the Greek word poimen meaning shepherd and is a reference to Jesus' use of the title the Good Shepherd for himself. A person serving as a pastor will be assigned to a local church or congregation who may be referred to as his or her flock.

The Reverend is a style most often used as a prefix to the names of Christian clergy and ministers. There are sometimes differences in the way the style is used in different countries and church traditions. The Reverend is correctly called a style but is often and in some dictionaries called a title, form of address or title of respect. The style is also sometimes used by leaders in non-Christian religions such as Judaism and Buddhism

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Robertson View Post
          In Christian churches, a minister is someone who is authorized by a church or religious organization to perform clergy functions such as teaching of beliefs; performing services such as weddings, baptisms or funerals; or otherwise providing spiritual guidance to the community.
          This seems like way too general a statement. Eastern Orthodox churches (which are Christian) don't have anybody known as a minister. They have priests, deacons, bishops, etc. I'm fairly sure (although not 100%) that the same is true of the Catholics and Anglicans.

Maybe the OP could look up some Bible study groups, see what the group leader calls himself/herself, and just use that title.
          ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

that was kind of the point... it is so general, without a denomination....

the OP says it was a onetimer, and denomination doesnt matter....

I would go with "Pastor Robertson" or "Father Robertson" if actually adressing the guy...

or "The Reverend" or "The Minister" if just in general talking about the guy

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
              This seems like way too general a statement. Eastern Orthodox churches (which are Christian) don't have anybody known as a minister. They have priests, deacons, bishops, etc. I'm fairly sure (although not 100%) that the same is true of the Catholics and Anglicans.

Maybe the OP could look up some Bible study groups, see what the group leader calls himself/herself, and just use that title.
              Catholics have "special ministers" who give communion. But you wouldn't call them a minister and they have no other pastoral role.

Father is most commonly associated with Catholicism. There is a big difference in terms of who would run the bible class, etc.

While it's fine to say that denomination isn't important, it dictates your answer, so I'd pick one and stick with it.
              sigpic

Website
              Tweets
              Book

Comment

My grandfather was a Presbyterian minister. He was addressed by the title Reverend, as in the Reverend B___. I've also heard him called the pastor of the church, or addressed as Pastor more informally, but I'd say the job was defined as minister and the title as Reverend. He was never called Father. Except by my mom and uncle.

Comment

Pastor. Go with Pastor. I think it's easier for people to Identify with protestant terminology.
                  I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    Pastor. Go with Pastor. I think it's easier for people to Identify with protestant terminology.
                    Let me guess, you're protestant.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian View Post
                      Let me guess, you're protestant.
                      Yeah and it's easy to remember Pastor Smith or what have you.
                      I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Robertson View Post
                        that was kind of the point... it is so general, without a denomination....
                        Yes, but I was pointing out (or attempting to) that your statement about Christian churches doesn't apply to several large Christian churches. If you'd said Protestant churches, I would have had less of a problem with it.

However, I suppose that's neither here nor there since Bible study is a Protestant thing anyway, as far as I'm aware, so the OP's study leader is probably going to be some kind of pastor/minister/what have you.
                        ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

It's a brief, one time mention.
                          i find this statement much more significant. the scene will probably be cut. it's not cost effective.
                          ask yourself how much this scene really adds to the plot. does it tell us anything new about the protag or antag? otherwise who cares what this insignificant character is called?

Comment

Working...
                          X