Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl 2016

We had a Done Deal Nicholl finalist last year. How about a Done Deal fellowship winner in 2016?

With the early deadline fast approaching (11:59 pm PT, Monday, March 7), I'm happy to answer any questions.

Re: Nicholl 2016

Churning and burning, bro.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
      Churning and burning, bro.
      Best of luck!

(especially if you're shooting for tonight)

Comment

I certainly am and thanks.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I entered 2 of my scripts.

Comment

Love reading the comments! Thanks, Greg!

Late Night Writer

Comment

I've got two coming. Top 50 last year and hoping to score this year.
              We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Hi Greg, Thanks for starting this thread to keep the entrants updated on the status of the competition and answer our questions.

I've written several screenplays over the years and finally completed one this year that I felt was worthy to compete.

I would like to hear your response to these questions:

When a screenplay is entered into competition, what are the main factors which bring it to the serious attention of judges?

Is story concept the main factor, character development, dialogue? Are they all equal and the screenplay must be complete and ready to shoot?

How much do formatting errors effect the judging process?

Also, how often do unrepresented writers place in the Nicholl Fellowship?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by MJG123 View Post
                  Hi Greg, Thanks for starting this thread to keep the entrants updated on the status of the competition and answer our questions.
                  You're welcome, MJG. If I have time, I'll post some submission tips in this thread later today.

When a screenplay is entered into competition, what are the main factors which bring it to the serious attention of judges?
                  Pretty sure story is the main factor for the overwhelming majority of readers for the Nicholl competition as well as everywhere else.

Is story concept the main factor, character development, dialogue? Are they all equal and the screenplay must be complete and ready to shoot?
                  After story, character, dialogue, voice, structure, craft are all noticed by readers and will affect each of them to differing degrees.

I'm not sure I've ever read a Nicholl submission that was "complete and ready to shoot." I've read many really good scripts over the years.

How much do formatting errors effect the judging process?
                  Probably varies from reader to reader, and it depends upon what you mean by formatting errors. Writers who have no clue what a screenplay is supposed to look like aren't going to fare well. Most readers will just read through a few formatting "errors," typos and grammatical mistakes.

We do tell our readers each and every year that "standard" format varies widely and not to worry too much about exacting details (as stated in some "so-called screenwriting rules").

Also, how often do unrepresented writers place in the Nicholl Fellowship?
                  We don't ask our entrants whether they're represented but my guess is that the overwhelming majority of writers advancing to the Nicholl quarterfinals and beyond each year do not have representation.

Best wishes for your script.

Comment

Thanks Greg for taking the time to post such thorough responses. It is much appreciated.

Comment

If I have time, I'll post some submission tips in this thread later today.
                      Hi Greg, I know the competition is going strong but when you get a chance would you still be able to post those tips.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Greg, I know the competition is going strong but when you get a chance would you still be able to post those tips.

Thanks again.
                        Sure, they are all going to be relatively obvious. Though specifically for submitting to the Nicholl competition, some of the advice may also apply to other situations. (Now that I've finished a draft, sorry that they go a tad long.)

Let me place this at the top: if you encounter any problems, send an email to nicholl at oscars.org identifying the nature of the issue in as much detail as possible.

Prior to logging into your Nicholl account to complete an application and submit a script:

Read the Rules.

If you have a script that is or may be considered an adaptation, be aware that adaptations are not eligible (except of a writer's own work). Read the Nicholl FAQs for more information about adaptations.

If you have a collaborator, realize that eligible scripts include only those created from start to finish by both collaborators. Read the Nicholl FAQs for more information about collaborations.

If you don't already have one, create a Nicholl account well in advance of your target application time/date. That'll save a few minutes if you're going to be near the deadline.

Prepare a solid log line for each script. (Log lines help us assign scripts to reader though they are never shared with the readers.) For us, must be under 300 characters including spaces.

Know your script's genre(s). (We assign scripts to readers using genres as the first selection/exclusion criteria.) Avoid repeating your primary genre in the secondary genre list.

Remove your name and other contact information from your screenplay.

The title page should only include the title. (LoC or WGA registration numbers may be on the title page but are not required.)

Create a PDF version of your screenplay.

Identify the correct draft of your screenplay and be able to find it easily on your computer.

If you have a collaborator, have her correct email and phone number in hand.

Be on a Mac or PC. Do not try to complete your Nicholl application on an iPad or other tablet (as it probably won't work through every stage).

Do not try to log into your Nicholl account via the (Academy) Members Login in the upper right corner of the Nicholl landing page. The Nicholl sign in is in the middle of the page.

Once in your Nicholl account and ready to submit:

Be sure to check all appropriate boxes on the first page of the application.

If you have a collaborator, be sure to scroll down to fill out all appropriate boxes for her.

If you encounter problems uploading your PDF (and it is a PDF under 1.0 MB), try logging out of your browser and logging back in. Or try switching to another browser. (This advice applies to all pages of the application, if it hangs up or otherwise doesn't seem to work.)

Be aware that until payment is made, you are able to reupload your PDF again and again.

On the credit card payment page, be sure to scroll down to click on the Process Payment button.

Purchasing or not purchasing reader comments will have no effect on your entry. We have purposely hidden reader comments from administrators when assigning scripts, and readers are never told if reader comments have been purchased.

After completing your application and making your credit card payment:

Print or Save the Copy for your Records page. Once your entry has been Confirmed, your entry number will appear on that page.

Once your entry has been processed, the word Confirmed will appear adjacent to your script title on the front page of your Nicholl account.

If you didn't purchase reader comments when entering, they can be purchased at any point until December 30, 2016, by visiting Tab 7.

Once reader comments are released (no later than September 7), they will appear under Tab 7.
                        Last edited by gregbeal; 04-20-2016, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Greg,

Quick thing, I was a previous Semifinalist in the Nicholl, but I forgot to note that in the application section, instead I clicked simply "Previous Entrant." Is that going to impact my submission?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions here!

Best,
                          Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by jimothy21 View Post
                            Hi Greg,

Quick thing, I was a previous Semifinalist in the Nicholl, but I forgot to note that in the application section, instead I clicked simply "Previous Entrant." Is that going to impact my submission?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions here!

Best,
                            Jimmy
                            No impact. We can see in the database if an entrant was a prior semifinalist, etc.

We keep the check box redundancy for the times when an entrant creates a new account (and so now has disconnected past and present profiles). Knowing that a person was a past entrant or past quarter/semi/finalist helps us search for the disconnected records.

Comment

Added a line to the Prior to logging in section:

Know your script's genre(s). (We assign scripts to readers using genres as the first selection/exclusion criteria.) Avoid repeating your primary genre in the secondary genre list.

Comment

Working...
                              X