Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: QUESTION: Transfer Final Draft to New Computer

I won't be buying any more Final Draft products. They put in this "activation" requirement for a product you own, which I complained about at the time. Every time you move from one computer to another you have to de-activate and then activate again. Now they no longer support activation, not even by phone, and the only option they offer is to buy the newest version. So the $200 product you own (not rent) is now worthless just because they say it is.
    Hobby Writer

Comment

okay, that's really strange because i upgraded middle of January and i was able to call them, speak to them on the phone and they activated by software on the phone while i waited.

i had lost a 15" macbook pro on a flight to LA, well let's be honest, some worker who found it didn't turn it in, so there was no way i could deactivate it myself and i had to have FD do it for me.

are you saying this is a new policy? like, in the past couple of weeks?
      Last edited by finalact4; 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by barh View Post
        I won't be buying any more Final Draft products. They put in this "activation" requirement for a product you own, which I complained about at the time. Every time you move from one computer to another you have to de-activate and then activate again. Now they no longer support activation, not even by phone, and the only option they offer is to buy the newest version. So the $200 product you own (not rent) is now worthless just because they say it is.
        Have you tried Fade In? I think it’s great. Follow the link to read about it.
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 03-03-2019, 09:04 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

They said it had been this way for some time and "scolded" me for wanting to be able to use my version.
          Hobby Writer

Comment

Thanks, I will check it out.
            Hobby Writer

Comment

Hello, Barh ... Yes, you ought to check out Fade In. This is not some kind of fly-by-night , here-today-gone-tomorrow schlocky application.

I have written several tutorial articles about some features of Fade In. I posted them on this board, but they are also available as PDF files on my website at this specific address. Be sure to read the QuickStart guide. It is a little old, and Fade In has changed slightly since then, but the QuickStart is still relevant. You should also read all the "Bells & Whistles" articles that I have made available there.

I will eventually update things. I am working on a book that will include a tutorial on Fade In, which I recommend as the screenwriting application that everyone should be using.

I have helped people with screenplays (usually for free). People send scripts in Final Draft, and I have never had a significant problem with importing the .fdx file into Fade In. It is also possible to export back to .fdx for those holdouts who will still be using Final Draft version 700 right up until they are lying in their coffins. (Version 700, but still no script sales! )

With Fade In you can use your copy on multiple computers that are your personal computers (and please, people, keep this honest!). I have never paid for any update/upgrade, and these appear at frequent intervals.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
              X