2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

Did Mazin plug you yet? He said he would; I'll remind him if he didn't.

Comment

Re: 2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

I'm not even sure where he's supposed to plug me (god, that sounds bad)? Artful Writer? I don't see anything there. Sick your minions on him, Lowell.

I also wanted to post the below article to remind everybody that this endeavor is not really about "paying for a read."

It's about much more.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011...or-pierce.html
      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
        I'm not even sure where he's supposed to plug me (god, that sounds bad)? Artful Writer? I don't see anything there. Sick your minions on him, Lowell.

I also wanted to post the below article to remind everybody that this endeavor is not really about "paying for a read."

It's about much more.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011...or-pierce.html
        I think Jeff means Craig will plug you in his weekly podcast with John August (too late for this week since they already posted that one). Maybe next week?
        "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Joe, every year literary agents and the like band together for a similar charitable fundraiser - many of them "auction off" their services (read part or full MS/query critique, etc.) all for a donation to the charity.

I point this out to any critics who think people are "paying to get read" - it's not the same when the money goes to a good cause.
          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

I completely agree.

The difference is clear between something that's for profit and something that's for a charity and not for profit.
            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I stand corrected.

HH

Comment

There's a ton of useful info on these boards; I use them at least once a day to learn something (or to procrastinate lol). This, however, is the thread that got me to actually sign up, as opposed to just lurking in the shadows of the Interwebs.

First, I just want to give a heartfelt thank you to Joe & Daniel - this offer is the rough equivalent of Michael Jordan offering to critique your jump shot if you'll just change his flat tire for him. I couldn't believe my good fortune when I stumbled on this a couple weeks ago! Believe me, I'll be making a donation in the near future.

Secondly (and by way of helping out a little bit), if you haven't read it, go get Writing Movies for Fun and Profit, by Tom Lennon & Ben Garant (the RENO 911! guys). It's the best thing to happen to screenwriting since Guild minimums.

The authors being who they are, this is a really funny book, but in all seriousness, if you want a practical, simple, honest roadmap to how you too can attain Scrooge McDuck level riches via screenwriting (my favorite chapter: STRUCTURE -OR- ROBERT MCKEE CAN SUCK IT), this is the book for you.

Anyway, back to my outline... those pages aren't gonna write themselves. Have a good day everybody.
                Last edited by omdufro; 05-27-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Ordered that book just yesterday! Looking for to it - I like books about the biz rather than writing advice books - have and read plenty of those already.

Comment

Joe:

Mazin and August should plug in next podcast.

Comment

Thanks, Jeff, and everybody.

Comment

This is great, I am definitely donating.

I think you'll end up with way more than $10k...

Comment

Originally posted by omdufro View Post
                          The authors being who they are, this is a really funny book, but in all seriousness, if you want a practical, simple, honest roadmap to how you too can attain Scrooge McDuck level riches via screenwriting (my favorite chapter: STRUCTURE -OR- ROBERT MCKEE CAN SUCK IT), this is the book for you.
                          My favorite chapter is the one about Billy Crystal. Got straight to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashlander View Post
                            My favorite chapter is the one about Billy Crystal. Got straight to the point.
                            Yeah, it has so many little gems like that... the part where the person they're pitching to falls asleep, wakes up later, and still knows what's going on is pretty cool too haha.

Getting back on point for a minute, Joe, do you want loglines, treatments, synopses, etc. when we send you our script(s) after we donate, or not?

Also, if it's not too much trouble, do you know what the backlog / workload is looking like? I know Daniel's extremely busy, so if things get hectic and you have to halt subs for a while to preserve his sanity, would it be cool to hold on to your read and cash it in later at a better time for him?

Thanks again to you & Daniel both times a million for your help and this opportunity. I know I'm gushing a little, but this is exciting stuff!

Comment

Sorry - new around here?
                              Is there a deadline for donations we'd like to submit a script with?

Thanks,

Comment

Here's a crazy question - could you submit two scripts for a $200 donation?

Heard about this from the Scriptnotes podcast. Thanks for the opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X