No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managers/management companies that accept TV pilots specs

Hi everyone.

Can anyone recommend managers/management companies that accept queries for TV pilot specs? If you have the email that would be great too.

Any help is much appreciated.

My best,
    TDH

Re: Managers/management companies that accept TV pilots specs

If I understand your question correctly (you mean an original pilot written on spec, right?), you can reach out to pretty much every manager that represents TV writers.

Comment

I'd query my TV pilot the same as I would a feature to managers and more targeted to TV agents vs other agents.

Some may not be looking for any TV writers or pilots, so they might ignore you. But they might be looking for features and still ignore you if it was a feature. So what's the difference? Go for it.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I'm a little unsure what to do at this stage. I've been going at it since March and feel like I've ran out. I used my Blacklist account (to find the managers who represent writers doing TV pilot specs) then IMDBpro to track down and send off to managers/management companies.

I could imagine there's probably some not listed.

I'm thinking the next move is tweaking/rewriting my query. Then sending off to production companies in the hopes of getting friendly with an executive who could potentially give me a referral.

I haven't had luck with agents at all and have been told time and again that managers are the main way to get an agent.

I mean - what do you think? Do you think these are good moves?

Comment

What kind of scores did you get on the Blacklist? What's your logline?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Horse View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I'm a little unsure what to do at this stage. I've been going at it since March and feel like I've ran out. I used my Blacklist account (to find the managers who represent writers doing TV pilot specs) then IMDBpro to track down and send off to managers/management companies.
            smart using the black list that way. thanks for the tip.
            I could imagine there's probably some not listed.

I'm thinking the next move is tweaking/rewriting my query. Then sending off to production companies in the hopes of getting friendly with an executive who could potentially give me a referral.
            1. if your logline and query were written well the first time, it shouldn't need rewriting. rewrite it so it is compelling and accurate to the throughline of your spec.

2. send your query letters to production companies with the idea of them producing it, not trying to get a referral to get a manager. they want to develop and make films. they're film makers.

3. how many managers did you send your query to? for a well written, good concept you might expect about a 10% return.

4. a manager that believes you have a great concept/story, will probably read it quickly. i had two managers call me within 24 hours of sending a spec to them. requests come quickly, reads can take longer. some people you send to are manager/producers which means they can be in production demanding long hours on location. others may feel it's something they can wait on and will. your job is to get them to request it. then you forget about it and move on.

5. are you sure your pilot is written as well as it possibly can be written? do you have accolades you can use. do you have high scores on the black list? if you do, use that in the subject line. if you have 8s and above you will get industry interest.

6. do you have a website or landing page that a rep or producer can go to learn something more about you and your body of work?

7. start networking on Twitter. there's huge writer support going on right now under the following hashtags: #WGAstaffingboost, #WGAsolidaritychallenge, #standwiththeWGA, #WRAC19 with #pagesOOC where there are showrunners, mid-level and upperlevel writers who are offering to read specs by writers without reps, and if they like with they read they will shout out and try to help you get staffed. right now all the writers have a few rules as started by javi grillo-marxuachVerified account
            @OKBJGM
            . it's amazing to see all the support.

they are helping writers who are already in the WGA and/or have staffed before. a lot of support for POC, WOC, and others. you cannot send them your spec, the idea is that you send them a DM on twitter and if they're interested they'll request your spec and if they love your spec they will be vocal on twitter and do what they can with their contacts to help you.

as a writer, Twitter is the social media you should be using as writers and other creatives on shows use twitter to connect with fans and each other.

I haven't had luck with agents at all and have been told time and again that managers are the main way to get an agent.
            i never did either, but i didn't send to nearly as many. some people have gotten agents with queries. so keep trying.
            I mean - what do you think? Do you think these are good moves?
            yeah, you're doing all the right things. you need to do everything you can to sell yourself and your spec. then you need to keep writing and building a body of work as you go along.

good luck, The Dark Horse.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Satriales -
              The best one got two 7s. Admittedly, I'm a little unsure with Blacklist. I had to keep complaining and eventually I got a refund for a couple of them. Every evaluation came back with some horrible typo/grammar mistake or a missing word.
              The worst thing was the character of "Jack- turned up in each review (for four scripts). "Jack- was only in one script. But yeah - Blacklist was a good place to see where my weaknesses were and how I could improve for next time (especially when you get two reviews with similar criticisms).

I'll be working on my logline and will post in a few days.

Finalact4 -

1. Will do.
              2. Hmm - I'll probably focus on managers then. Perhaps a junior manager - young, hungry for success, has a smaller client list and more time to give you. I did do the stupid thing of targeting some of the veterans.
              3. Quite a ridiculous amount. I managed 6 requests in two weeks from the amateurish-four-logline query. But yeah - my feedback on DoneDeal has been a complete game changer and I'm going to focus on the query/logline next week.
              4. Yeah I agree.
              5. "The Frontiersman- is the best one. One of the producers who requested and read it said it was very well written and I should send it to Nicholls. She was really nice.
              6. Having visited your website - I am deeply considering it.
              7. Alright that's pretty cool. Again, I'll consider this one.

Cool. Thank you for the feedback everyone.

Comment

I'm in a similar boat. Only emailed 40 managers so far, but zero read requests.

What is the best section of this forum to post TV loglines? I wouldn't mind getting feedback on my full query email, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by megablahblah View Post
                  What is the best section of this forum to post TV loglines? I wouldn't mind getting feedback on my full query email, as well.
                  Post it in the LOGLINES AND QUERY LETTERS forum. That's for film and TV.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                  X