No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's selling/ hot right now?

-
    Last edited by nathanq; 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM.

Re: What's selling/ hot right now?

Anything with Zebras. They is the sh!t.

Seriously: No. If it's a movie, if it's fresh, and if it's truly fvcking great, then you have a shot. Even then...
    twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
      Is anything in particular selling right now- stories, characters, themes, genres ect...?

Are there some genres/ stories that most managers/agents will jump to?
      Nothing is hot right now.

Genre preferences: thriller, sci-fi, comedy. Surprisingly I'm finding a lot of interest in Rom-Com which used to be no go.

Comment

I read spec script sales were slightly up for Sept, after a dead Aug. So, who knows? Things may be getting better. Cross your fingers, but keep writing and pray the economy improves. The easy money is gone, but the smart money lurks nearby waiting to pounce.

Comment

I met with Carlo Martinelli today (Election, Little Miss Sunshine, Cold Mountain). On this very topic he said something to the affect of, you can't guess the market, he for one would not stop making what he makes and we should not stop writing what we write. It was all about not compromising your desire to create what you know or love to acquiesce to the needs of current trends. You'll always be a step behind it anyway.

Write what makes you happy. If it's exceptional, it'll get noticed.
          Last edited by Telly; 10-05-2009, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliebro View Post
            I read spec script sales were slightly up for Sept, after a dead Aug.
            That's not saying much since August is usually the worst month out of the year.
            https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Vampires, Vampires, and more Vampires! Sucking blood is so hot right now! True Blood, Twilight, Vampire Diaries....

Okay so everyone is getting sick of Vampires but you can always do a new take on it:

Driving Miss Vampire (drive a coffin around)
              Transvampire (robots that turn into vampires)
              Cloudy with Chance of Blood (Vampire makes it rain blood!)

Okay, time to take my meds...
              www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Don't do Vampires. It's gotten to the point that no one wants them anymore, because that's all anyone is putting out. At least that's what I have heard.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Sexy, sparkling werewolves will be the next big thing. Get in now and you'll be ahead of the game. I'm going out wide with both "Doggy Style" and "Lipstick" later this month. Doggy Style is about how all the werewolves in a small midwestern town want to have sex with a dashingly handsome screenwriter, and Lipstick is about a suave midwestern screenwriter who drives all the werewolves crazy.

Comment

What does the question even mean? That we should look at what's selling right now (a lot of which will never make it to the screen) or what's showing right now (a lot of which sold 4 years ago)?

If you look at any studio's roster for the next few years, it's jammed packed. But how many of those "scripts" or "optioned properties" will make it to the screen? A small percentage.

It takes most scripts a few years to make it to the screen. So "hot" is a relative term. There have been a few scripts lately with medieval themes, which will probably all bombard the marketplace on the same year, but if a writer two years from now thinks, HEY, medieval scripts are HOT, well, he's probably missed the boat.

Comedy, action, thrillers, horror... those things never go out of style. Regardless of the year, regardless of the subgenre, these things get made. Vampires may come and go, but they will always be fashionable one way or another. Vampires will never go out of style completely, it's a genre that is here to stay.

You should try to at least determine the basics, i.e. whether your script as broad appeal or niche appeal or no appeal at all, and target your market accordingly. Certain scripts will always be challenges (eg a period piece), but then any script is a challenge to begin with. So the question is, considering the abysmal odds, do you write what you're passionate about or what you think can sell?

My advice: try to find a script that fits both, I mean I think that is pretty obvious. Not Transformers-appeal, but at least something that someone besides you and your mother-out-of-love-for-you might want to see...

Because other than that, it's a mystery. You could have a western with Brad Pitt that makes 5 bucks or a dramatic comedy about a wisecraking pregnant teen that propels the writer to stardom, and everything else in between, and it's always a total mystery --except that it's not completely

I will add a thought that just came to me: I find the average animation flick aimed at kids a lot less insulting to the intelligence of its audience than the average tentpole... hmmm..... I think most animation films appeal to adults AND kids, whereas most blockbuster type flicks manage to insult both adults AND kids.

So all in favor for intelligent films, claps your hands and say YEA.

Comment

What's hot right now? A North Pole movie?
                      "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Originally posted by -XL- View Post
                        Anything with Zebras. They is the sh!t.
                        Two words: Vampire Zebras!

Just kidding! I'm so glad to see writers have a sense of humor and could tell I was totally joking about the vampire idea. The market is flooded with vampire ideas and in fact production companies are telling me and my manager they don't want to see any more vampire anythings.

What is hot right now? I have no idea, but you can look at the trades (or even Done Deal) to see what's selling. Good luck!
                        www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN
                          I heard that unique, universal films that appeal to all audiences around the world, men, women, boys, girls, even zebras, are VERY HOT right now.
                          Ha! Branded properties regardless of narrative viability are all the rage.

Acquire the adaptation rights to Chia Pets and just wait for Hollywood to come to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
                            Is anything in particular selling right now- stories, characters, themes, genres ect...?

Are there some genres/ stories that most managers/agents will jump to?
                            I am pretty sure that Hollywood is going to run out of multimedia franchises to exploit in the next fifteen days, so I'm hedging my bets on consumer products - cleaning supplies, specifically. I have mop or broom takes on Pretty Woman, The Wrestler, Sideways, Slumdog Millionaire, Lost in Translation, The Dreamers (might stick to San Fernando Valley with that one), and 28 Days Later.

Comment

Originally posted by meemee2000 View Post
                              Two words: Vampire Zebras!
                              I'd put my money on Werezebras.
                              "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Working...
                              X