Joss Whedon to rewrite/direct Avengers, rewrite Captain America?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joss Whedon to rewrite/direct Avengers, rewrite Captain America?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/tag/joss-whedon

Having the Avengers in Whedon's hands makes me feel a whole lot better about this film.
    Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
    Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
    Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Re: Joss Whedon to rewrite/direct Avengers, rewrite Captain America?

Having the Avengers in Whedon's hands makes me want to slit my throat.

Comment

Not sure why it would. He did a pretty good job with his run writing Astonishing X-Men, and his Buffy and Angel comics aren't bad (the ones he wrote).

I liked Serenity and his writing is solid, though he does tend to rely too much on the (now) cliche "mysterious ass kicker heroine with special powers that does nothing but beat up males" and his quirky dialogue.

As long as he can approach the story and film as seriously as he did when writing X-Men (and not go all "Buffy" on it), I'm confident he'll do a great job.
      "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

I hope he hooks up with a good 2nd Unit guy and DoP for this.

I like his work, but Serenity on the big screen still looked like it was shot for television.
        "Only nothing is impossible."
        - Grant Morrison

Comment

How do people land mega 150 M dollar director gigs if they haven't proven themselves on similar projects (I don't know to what extent this is the case but in general)? I mean, there isn't exactly a shortage of directors in HW.

With a script, it's one thing. If you write a big action spec and you're a rookie, well the final product is there, in their hands, if they sign you and greenlight the film they are not going in blind, the script already exists (minus inevitable rewrites). But if a director doesn't pull it off, they don't know that until they've already spent 200 M and the film comes and out and it totally sucks.

Comment

Because Jon Favs had really proven himself with Zathura and Elf before Iron Man?

Whedon the writer/director will do a good job on the Avengers. Truth is that even with Serenity and in his TV directing gigs he's never worked with the budget or resources that he'll have with the Avengers.

I'm sure it'll look good and be "cinematic" enough. What I'm stoked about is the story and character sense that Whedon will bring to the movie.
            "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
              How do people land mega 150 M dollar director gigs if they haven't proven themselves on similar projects (I don't know to what extent this is the case but in general)? I mean, there isn't exactly a shortage of directors in HW.
              I figured out almost instantly that Marvel has no idea how to run a movie studio.

They're operating as a a comic book company, doing things that make sense from a comic book standpoint, but Iron Man will be their last movie worth watching if they don't figure out that movies and comics are different.

Comment

On one hand there's a vocal corner of fandom that insists Joss Whedon has a good grasp on group dynamics and experience dealing with multiple protagonists, that he has a Pixar-esque grasp on story structure, has experience as a script doctor, has love and respect for the source material and experience writing for Marvel, has an ear for snappy banter, has an eye for action scenes and an even bigger penis than Jesus.

But on the other hand these people have been saying this sh!t for years and he hasn't been responsible for anything good so far so I'm fairly skeptical here.

Comment

Originally posted by jkk808 View Post
                  What I'm stoked about is the story and character sense that Whedon will bring to the movie.
                  A definite plus.
                  "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                  ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

is captain A officially cast? because i really don't want that flaming torch to play him.

that would suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
                      is captain A officially cast? because i really don't want that flaming torch to play him.

that would suck.
                      I believe it is official. I liked Aaron Eckhart or Josh Holloway for the role myself.
                      @MacBullitt

Comment

Wonder if he'll slip Buffy into the mix.
                        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
                          A definite plus.
                          Ditto. He's not one of the top script doctors in Hollywood for nothing.
                          Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
                          Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
                          Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

I'm very curious if the Hawkeye character will be included, and who they'll get to play him? Wasn't Jeremy Renner from the Hurt Locker once mentioned to be doing this?

Comment

Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Hank Pym

boom

done.

Comment

Working...
                              X