Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Writing Climate

This is one of those "stalling before writing" posts, but the thought came to me a few days ago. I was writing late afternoon outside, on our back deck. Sun was beating down, about 65 F, but then things changed - fast. The wind kicked up, clouds rushed in and the temp dropped by at least 10 degrees. I was cold and about to pack it in, but...

I just happen to be working on a scene set at night in the desert. My characters were cold, struggling to stay warm. It didn't occur to me until afterwards, but I think my cold physical state actually helped me create the same climate and mood in my story.

I've heard of writers travelling to places that at least mimic the location of their story, but I'm curious if anyone has intentionally sought out a specific "writing climate" to help create a more authentic feel to their setting, their character's physical state?

Now all I need to do is include a few more tropical island scenes in my script.

Re: Your Writing Climate

I always write in a 200 year old cabin -- by fireplace in the winter, and by sunshine peeking through the cracks in the summer. There have been occasions where while outlining/research, I have traveled to the specific places I was planning to use in my story -- When I wrote a thriller set in Haringey, I spent quite a lot of time there to absorb it.

Comment

There is a big difference from where I would like to write, and where I actually work. I dream of a small, lakeside cabin, but settle for a house that looks out over a park. A few gardens are there, some green swatches to gaze at. More or less relaxing.

The downside is the road between me an the park, and moderate passing traffic.

It's a living.

a

Comment

Originally posted by alex whitmer View Post
        There is a big difference from where I would like to write, and where I actually work. I dream of a small, lakeside cabin, but settle for a house that looks out over a park. A few gardens are there, some green swatches to gaze at. More or less relaxing.

The downside is the road between me an the park, and moderate passing traffic.

It's a living.

a
        There ya go. You're all set the next time you need to write a scene with a bunch of teenagers being chased in an urban park by a...

Comment

58' and cloudy.
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I have a few scenes that play underwater.

I'm standing on the Malibu pier.

Looks cold from here, but, what the heck.

If hope I can hold my breath long enough to finish that scene.
            "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

I write in my tiny apartment with an awesome super powered PC, lots of caffeeine.

I spend most of my time starring at the blinking cursor waiting for something interesting to write.

Once Final Draft comes to the iPad, I'll most likely start writing elsewhere [I doubt it, but I'm using that as an excuse to buy one]
              Screenplay Questions & Answers - http://screenplayqa.com

Comment

Okay, Okay. "Uncle." Please... stop. I should've never hit the "Submit" button on this puppy.

Comment

I mostly write from a ramshackle 100+ year old house that is in need of either a bulldozer driven through it or several thousand dollars spent on it, its warm to hot in summer, cold as sin in winter, and the boy racers come around the bend and hit the accelerator outside my room. I can see blue sky when it is, and grey when it's that and a hell of a lot of the neighbor lady's legs when she's working in the garden. Life is like that sometimes.

However I bought myself a laptop recently and have found I can sit at a cafe near the sea writing or revising without looking (or feeling) like a total poser.
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I have a scene coming up where a guy is nearly suffocated by hot, sweaty, naked women. They're just all over him. I'm gonna need a "liquid"-proof laptop... oops, too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                      However I bought myself a laptop recently and have found I can sit at a cafe near the sea writing or revising without looking (or feeling) like a total poser.
                      I hate to break it to you, but no you can't.

Comment

I sit in my recliner, in front of the TV, headphones on listening to classical music, while the rest of the family watches All My Chitlins or whatever, and a smelly chihuahua next to me. Except if it's hot - the smelly bugger gets pushed off. And - I start this precisely at 8:00pm every night. I know, it's nuts. I've been doing it this way for so long - writing when I'm alone and it's quiet is absolutely grueling and usually unproductive.

I'm really in trouble if I ever get kicked out of the house.
                        My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Comment

I have taken over the end of our dining room table. From here I command an excellent view of the best room in the house. Five windows - a room full of light. I even have a glass menagerie of inspirational items on two trays next to me. Works for me.
                          sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Manchester UK is the best place to write scripts - it's grey, dreary and rains most of the time (really, like nearly all the time) ...

... consequently the best way to go anywhere nice is is in your scripts.

If the weather was great, I'd be out all the time!

Mat.
                            I'm a product of everything I've ever experienced ... I need to get out more!

Comment

Working...
                            X