Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armored

The film looks to be a complete sausage fest? Like women are an endangered species or something?

At least the script had the girlfriend.

Can anyone comment on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Xnod View Post
      The film looks to be a complete sausage fest? Like women are an endangered species or something?

At least the script had the girlfriend.

Can anyone comment on this?
      It's an all-male cast.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
        I did not like it. Weak characters, the stupidest plan in the world for robbing an armored truck, convenient things happen to help the hero (deus ex machinas - ironic, huh?), some *obvious* script spackle (GPS, that loose panel on the floor), no relationships between characters (that were explored), static plot - nothing gets worse and they seem to do a lot of running around but get nowhere, and... what they hell is the point?

I thought the early version of the script I read was a let down, as well - many of the same problems, but the concept of being trapped in an armored truck was genius. The film removes the trapped aspect, which takes away the best thing in the script.

Great trucks smashing each other stuff, though.

- Bill
        Noooooooooooooo.

Do you think the "trapped" aspect of the script was the reason why it was a finalist in the Nicholl contest?

I miss Deus's presence here, always gave you something to think about.
        "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
          hahaha! Very good point. Yeah, those knobs will trash anything and everything.

Ditto. All s*it-talkers and no filmmakers among them.
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
            Ditto. All s*it-talkers and no filmmakers among them.
            Not so many filmmakers around here either.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
              Not so many filmmakers around here either.
              Typical statement from someone who sits down to wee...

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend, if anything to support James V. Simpson. Hope it does well.

Comment

According to deadlinehollywood, estimated BO this weekend of 7 mil.

EJ

Comment

What was the budget?

20-30 million?

Comment

AO Scott had nice things to say about Armored.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/12/05...tml?ref=movies

You can take every film blog, website and message board in the world and flush them down the toilet, for all they're worth. The NY Times is still the only review I'd cut out and hang on the refrigerator if it was my film.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                        AO Scott had nice things to say about Armored.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/12/05...tml?ref=movies

You can take every film blog, website and message board in the world and flush them down the toilet, for all they're worth. The NY Times is still the only review I'd cut out and hang on the refrigerator if it was my film.
                        Now I agree the world has turned upside down and it's the 15 year old with a keyboard running the asylum -- but come on. It is almost 2010 and I think it's safe to say Aint It Cool News has more power than ANY newspaper. I think a few critics still have power like Ebert, but I don't know anyone that reads newspaper reviews on movies to help them decide.

It's websites, message boards, maybe EW magazine, and always word of mouth.

And **** our generation knows so much about movies coming out BEFORE they come out, that we decided in 2006 to see Iron Man 2. You think a review in NY Times matters?

--

Having said that, congrats to James.

Comment

In 2004, Yves Simoneau wrote an update of his movie Pouvoir Intime from 1986 that was essentially Armored, but more brilliant-er. For reasons that remain unknown even to the good lord God himself, the producers ditched that script (really -- it's ****ing genius stuff -- I'll see if I can track it down) and had Simpson craft something that's the same but different -- and by the same but different, I mean it has the same plot points and similar story beats but it sucks. I'm perplexed by the fact Yves Simoneau doesn't at least have an EP credit on the film; it's based on a movie he wrote and directed, and he did an early draft of the script. I'm disappointed to hear that Simpson was a Nicholls fellow for the 'original' script that wasn't originally his.

UPDATED
                          Gillyflowed Cooms purports that Simpson wrote his script on his own, long before producers got involved. It would seem he has a lot of information about Simpson's script. I was speaking from my own perspective, which seems to be inaccurate. I misspoke when I made the statement regarding Armored's 'originality.' I just wanted to clarify, make sure people didn't read this and then neglect to read the rest of the thread, where my assumptions were later disproven.

And to be clear: I have never before and never will seek to defame other writers. I can't stand the bratty, bitchy back and forth jealous crap that often burbles to the surface among writers. It's counterproductive to everyone and I do what I can not to be a part of it.
                          Last edited by jcgary; 12-05-2009, 10:03 PM. Reason: setting the record straight.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
                            In 2004, Yves Simoneau wrote an update of his movie Pouvoir Intime from 1986 that was essentially Armored, but more brilliant-er. For reasons that remain unknown even to the good lord God himself, the producers ditched that script (really -- it's ****ing genius stuff -- I'll see if I can track it down) and had Simpson craft something that's the same but different -- and by the same but different, I mean it has the same plot points and similar story beats but it sucks. I'm perplexed by the fact Yves Simoneau doesn't at least have an EP credit on the film; it's based on a movie he wrote and directed, and he did an early draft of the script. I'm disappointed to hear that Simpson was a Nicholls fellow for the 'original' script that wasn't originally his.
                            How did you learn this info? Are you guessing or did someone in the know tell you.

Interesting, either way.

Comment

I'm confused. I was under the impression Armored was an original spec from Simpson. The producers of Armored had a draft of Pouvoir Intime first?

Comment

I'm disappointed to hear that Simpson was a Nicholls fellow for the 'original' script that wasn't originally his.
                                Dude, do your research before you spew stuff like this. Any implication that Jay's script wasn't 100% his own is BS.

Comment

Working...
                                X