No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the Oscar goes to...

Best Picture - The Hurt Locker
    It pushed the form to the very edges in its perfect execution.

Best Director - Avatar
    James Cameron gets major points for breaking new ground in filmmaking and is also a consolation prize for not being best pic in my book.

Best Actor - Jeff Bridges
    It was between him and Colin Firth but it seems to me Jeff's role showed the entire range of what an actor does.

Best Supporting Actor - Stanley Tucci
    From what I've seen of Christoph Waltz, he's very much the eccentric like in Inglourious Basterds. But Tucci isn't so he gets it.

Best Actress - Sandra Bullock
    I know, Meryl Streep should win this one again but she's got enough Oscars.

Best Supporting Actress - Monique
    Totally different than who she is in real life. And no, not because I know her but if you look at all the idiosyncracies and mannerisms you'll find she became another character in the movie.

Animated Feature - Coraline
    "Up" actually struck me as overly sentimental without having earned it and heavy-handed. Haven't seen Mr. Fox yet so my vote goes to Coraline. Stunning visuals and most importantly a story to back it up.

Best Cinematography - Avatar
    Because I have no clue how the hell they filmed it even after watching a load of docs on "The making of Avatar."

Film Editing - Avatar
    For the same reason above. I recall seeing that post actually began in preproduction. I can't even wrap my head around how difficult piecing the movie together was.

Sound/Visual Effects - Avatar
    Creating something out of nothing is always harder than working off something with constraints.

Adapted Screenplay - District 9
    The flaw in Clooney's character in Up in the Air was contradictory. Precious, however bleak, has been done before. District 9 gets it for sheer audacity of vision.

Best Screenplay - The Hurt Locker
    Had me from the first frame to the last. Broke the "rules" of screenwriting but because it knew how.

Those are my picks

Re: And the Oscar goes to...

BEST PICTURE - A Prophet

BEST DIRECTOR - Jacques Audiard, A Prophet

BEST ACTOR - Tom Hardy, Bronson

BEST ACTRESS - Charlotte Gainsbourg, Antichrist

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Peter Capaldi, In the Loop

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Maggie Gyllenhaal, Away We Go

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - Audiard/Bidegain/Dafri/Peufaillit, A Prophet

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - Jonze/Eggers, Where the Wild Things Are

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - Anthony Dod Mantle, Antichrist

BEST EDITING - Walter Murch, Tetro

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS - Antichrist

BEST SOUND MIXING/EDITING - Antichrist

BEST DOCUMENTARY - Collapse

Comment

Gwai Lo, Sweet Chariot!
      sigpic

Comment

Streep has enough Oscars? She's only got two and hasn't won one in over twenty five years.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
          BEST PICTURE - A Prophet

BEST DIRECTOR - Jacques Audiard, A Prophet

BEST ACTOR - Tom Hardy, Bronson

BEST ACTRESS - Charlotte Gainsbourg, Antichrist

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Peter Capaldi, In the Loop

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Maggie Gyllenhaal, Away We Go

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - Audiard/Bidegain/Dafri/Peufaillit, A Prophet

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - Jonze/Eggers, Where the Wild Things Are

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - Anthony Dod Mantle, Antichrist

BEST EDITING - Walter Murch, Tetro

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS - Antichrist

BEST SOUND MIXING/EDITING - Antichrist

BEST DOCUMENTARY - Collapse
          I have a dart that possesses more Oscar predicting ability than you.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Since I live in NY and have Cablevision, the only way I will know who won any Oscars is to read the paper tomorrow (seriously, live blogging is for nerds) so I'd like to use this public forum to wish every male heir of the Dolan family cancer.

Comment

that's not even considering what they did to the knicks, put that on top of the entire cablevision debacle and you have some serious fire and brimstone kinter.
              You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Okay, so ABC and Cablevision have made up and the Oscars are on in NY.

That still doesn't change how I feel about the Dolans, who made me miss the entire 2002 Yankees season.

Comment

Hurt Locker and Kathryn Bigelow
                  #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Meanwhile, James Cameron kicks dog while calling it his ex's name.
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Somehow I doubt Cameron is going to be the slightest bit disappointed.

The Hurt Locker didn't make 2.5 BILLION dollars...

Comment

Hurt locker sends a great signal that substance wins at the end of the day. Though I really enjoyed Avatar it was great watching a low budget film win the best picture nod.

The new voting system (instant run) really worked well...

Comment

Hooray to all the winners! Everybody looked fabulous and IMHO there was great films this year and great performances in some of the not-so-great films. I want to see a DDer up there!!!!!!!!!

Comment

its not avatar but the hurt locker that sweeps the awards. while i thought the hurt locker was a better pic, i thought cameron shoulda at least won for best director (and sound and editing) because as i stated earlier, its harder to create something from nothing. i think the change in the voting system where actors represent more of the votes has changed the outcome into more populist. so its not always the most qualified to win but most sentimental.

i think sci fi is still being maligned with by the number's precious' win over district 9, but i am very glad to see sandra bullock, mark boal, monique, christoph waltz and jeff bridges all win.

an aside: how good was the hurt locker? i didnt see ONE iraq war movie prior to it and since it, it was so great ive checked out rendition, the kingdom and others and they were all far inferior.

i think what hurt avatar the most is that it had been built up as revolutionizing cinema with its 3D. but if you had seen any 3d movies before avatar, you would know that it didnt really utilize it. sure environments were separated from each other slightly, but i saw beowulf where every freaking thing popped out at you and PULLED you into the story. so really, avatar ended up being a heavily cg movie that made the cinematic advancement of facial recognition technology for motion capture which is as unsexy as it seems. due to that, it had to rely on story which was already one of its weakest elements. still, for the sheer managerial balls to pull that off avatar shoulda won best director.
                            Last edited by lordmanji; 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

All in all I thought it was a pretty crappy show. The jokes were awful, the sound was off, and the In Memoriam tribute was a freaking joke. You couldn't even seen the Patrick Swayze and Kill Bill close-ups. The Red Carpet was awful. Definitely one of the worst Academy Awards of recent memory. And I'm glad the Hurt Locker got some recognition, however it didn't deserve all of what it did get.

Comment

Working...
                              X