No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pacific Rim

They didn't even buy a finished script.
    On May 28, 2010, it was reported that Legendary Pictures had purchased Pacific Rim, a detailed 25-page film treatment by American screenwriter Travis Beacham.[6] When Guillermo del Toro met with Legendary Pictures to discuss the possibility of collaborating with them on a film, he was intrigued by Beacham's treatment - still a "very small pitch" at this point.[7] Del Toro guided the development of the screenplay, intending to produce - but not direct - the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
      They didn't even buy a finished script.
      Yeah, they bought a treatment he wrote on spec. I really wish that would happen more often.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
        But after watching the two trailers, let's just say I'm a tad worried. Hollywood hasn't exactly earned my trust. Over the past few years, I've been painfully disappointed by nearly 40 Hollywood blockbusters, and have been pleased by maybe 4. That's a very bad ratio. (And note: all of those projects started off with high hopes).
        There has only been one trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          Anyone who writes action movies should hope like hell that Pacific Rim makes money.
          But what if their script doesn't contain giant monsters and robots? What if it contains non-CGI humans, like the one I'm working on? What chance will I have?

Beacham's clever. He knew the only way he'd sell an original script--that would actually be made into a film--is if it contained krakens and giant robots. If he wrote another epic like Carnival Row, it would just be tossed into the "development bin" and sit there for all eternity.

Ask yourself this, emily: If Pacific Rim had small robots and small monsters, but with a similar plot and character development, would it have been greenlit?
          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

But what if their script doesn't contain giant monsters and robots? What if it contains non-CGI humans, like the one I'm working on? What chance will I have?

Beacham's clever. He knew the only way he'd sell an original script--that would actually be made into a film--is if it contained krakens and giant robots. If he wrote another epic like Carnival Row, it would just be tossed into the "development bin" and sit there for all eternity.

Ask yourself this, emily: If Pacific Rim had small robots and small monsters, but with a similar plot and character development, would it have been greenlit?

This is ridiculous. Are you kidding me. First, Killing on Carnival Row got bought. He got paid for that. That's a huge accomplishment in itself. Then he took his heat and came up with an original blockbuster idea in Pacific Rim. This movie is costing Legendary and Warners almost 300 million. Maybe more

They are taking a big chance on an original idea. This is great. Who cares what the idea is. This is good for all of us.

I don't understand where the hate is coming from? I've read the script. This isn't hack material. It has a real cool story. And well developed characters. Beacham has the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
              This is ridiculous. Are you kidding me. First, Killing on Carnival Row got bought. He got paid for that. That's a huge accomplishment in itself. Then he took his heat and came up with an original blockbuster idea in Pacific Rim. This movie is costing Legendary and Warners almost 300 million. Maybe more

They are taking a big chance on an original idea. This is great. Who cares what the idea is. This is good for all of us.

I don't understand where the hate is coming from? I've read the script. This isn't hack material. It has a real cool story. And well developed characters. Beacham has the goods.
              Carnival was bought in 2005, and is in perpetual limbo. 3 Transformers movies were made in that time. I shudder at the mere thought.

And I'm not hating on Pacific Rim. It could easily be an amazing film. I just find it troubling that the prescence of giant monsters/robots is slowly becoming a deal breaker in greenlighting Hollywood films.

Comment

Carnival was bought in 2005, and is in perpetual limbo. 3 Transformers movies were made in that time. I shudder at the mere thought.

And I'm not hating on Pacific Rim. It could easily be an amazing film. I just find it troubling that the prescence of giant monsters/robots is slowly becoming a deal breaker in greenlighting Hollywood films.
                Now you're just being ridiculous. When is the last time hollywood/a major studio released a giant robot vs monster movie?
                You're acting like there hasn't been literally hundreds of other ****ing movies that has been released in the last 7 years.
                Also an fyi a transformers movie has never been a top grossing movie of any year, the top grossing movies didn't have robots or giant monster essentially destroying your stupid argument.

Comment

Like I said earlier on, I think the trailer is badly constructed. As a TRAILER, it's not well made. (I have long background in professional editing, I've also done trailers and commercials).

But it's impossible to say based on this trailer, how good or bad the script is. Absolutely impossible. So I don't understand why any aspiring writer would want to to repeatedly badmouth the script based on the trailer. It's silly. You don't know how good the script is. People who have actually read the script, are saying it's good.

So let it go.

Comment

lol, epic trolling, dude. Nice try.

First off, your logic is flawed - even if you are being 100% serious. I really hope you're not because it's kinda retarded.

So your argument is that you need giant robots and monsters in order to get green lit? That doesn't even make sense. SAFEHOUSE was a spec. It had no attachments when it first went out. None. It was a cold spec. Sold for buckets of cash, got an A-!lister attached and got made. SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN was a spec. Sold for $3 million. Got a guaranteed production deal from Universal as well. That hardly ever happens.

My point is - this sold because its a great script, and idea is cool as fvck and screams "big summer movie." I really find it hard to believe that some of you can't understand that.
                    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 12-16-2012, 12:54 AM.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

And as far as the trailer goes - it's clearly designed to get the premise across: giant robots fighting giant monsters. That's what's gonna sell this movie. Not 5 mins of talking heads footage.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by TBEagle View Post
                        Now you're just being ridiculous. When is the last time hollywood/a major studio released a giant robot vs monster movie?
                        You're acting like there hasn't been literally hundreds of other ****ing movies that has been released in the last 7 years.
                        Also an fyi a transformers movie has never been a top grossing movie of any year, the top grossing movies didn't have robots or giant monster essentially destroying your stupid argument.
                        For this example, it's giant monsters and robots. But if you look at most blockbusters, they almost always contain some over-the-top, often stupid, CGI battle elements to carry their story. I've made a list:

Battleship: CGI battle with giant, incompetent alien spaceship at sea with retired U.S.S. Missouri.
                        Transformers: CGI battles between giant English-speaking robots inside LA and Chicago.
                        John Carter: CGI battle aboard a giant walking crab city.
                        Avengers: CGI battle with huge steel serpents over NY City.
                        POTC: CGI battle with giant octopus and skeletons/living dead
                        Clash of The Titans: CGI battle with 300-foot kraken and other big bugs
                        Matrix: CGI battle with 10 million Agent Smith clones
                        Pacific Rim: CGI battles between tower-sized monsters and giant robots.

These ludicrous over-the-top battle elements are necessary for these films to go into production. Almost all summer blockbusters have it in common.

My script, on the other hand, is devoid of these wacky elements. Which prompted a paid reader to once ask: "Why are there no robotic war machines at this point in the future?"

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                          lol, epic trolling, dude. Nice try.

First off, your logic is flawed - even if you are being 100% serious. I really hope you're not because it's kinda retarded.
                          Wow, what class. Queensland native?

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                          So your argument is that you need giant robots and monsters in order to get green lit? That doesn't even make sense. SAFEHOUSE was a spec. It had no attachments when it first went out. None. It was a cold spec. Sold for buckets of cash, got an A-!lister attached and got made. SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN was a spec. Sold for $3 million. Got a guaranteed production deal from Universal as well. That hardly ever happens.

My point is - this sold because its a great script, and idea is cool as fvck and screams "big summer movie." I really find it hard to believe that some of you can't understand that.
                          My argument is that some preposterous over-the-top element is usually needed to get a summer blockbuster greenlit. Snow White had a telelporting magic queen, trolls, dwarfs, fairies, Kristen Stewart showing leadership etc.

Sadly, my script lacks these elements.

Comment

Wow, what class. Queensland.
                            Actually I'm from Sydney. Again, nice try.

I'm sorry, but your argument still makes no sense. So you're saying that if all tentpole movies need CGI spectacle to get green lit by a studio, and yours doesn't have that, then you won't get a green light?

I can't believe I'm even arguing about this.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I have no problem saying I don't want to see this movie. There was nothing in the trailer that compels me to see this movie. But that's me.

If others want to see it, I don't care. I also don't think it's the death throes of a dying industry. People want to see spectacle so more power to 'em for making this flick.

It just doesn't interest me, and the only reason I'm even saying this is because I resent the fact that writers on here are suggesting other writers support something the writer may not believe in.

I, personally, don't have an obligation to see this movie unless it interests me.

HH

Comment

My script, on the other hand, is devoid of these wacky elements. Which prompted a paid reader to once ask: "Why are there no robotic war machines at this point in the future?"
                                I see what this is now, someone said your script sucked and made a off hand comment. Scripts readers are subjective but maybe just maybe your script wasn't good enough to them to hold their attention.
                                You're logic is gravely flawed and the thousands of movie released since transformers shows how stupid this argument is.

Comment

Working...
                                X