Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp

Binge-watched the entire series this past weekend. Thought it was inventive, absurd, unlike anything else currently out there. What did y'all think?

Re: Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp

It's in my Netflix queue.

I saw the feature for the first time a few weeks ago - one of those cult films that so many folks I know seem to love. And I really, really wanted to like it, but to be honest I found it a little... meh.

How is the series different from the feature - similar tone? Funnier? More absurd?

Comment

I enjoyed it. It's very hit or miss though. More hit than miss luckily.

I just love Netflix for making this though. I mean, before them, who would've made this thing? Not TV, not cable, probably would've just stuck it on YouTube and hoped for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
        I enjoyed it. It's very hit or miss though. More hit than miss luckily.

I just love Netflix for making this though. I mean, before them, who would've made this thing? Not TV, not cable, probably would've just stuck it on YouTube and hoped for the best.
        Yeah, very hit and miss. Though for me, it was closer to 60 hit/40 miss. Christopher Meloni was by far the best part, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by redturtle View Post
          It's in my Netflix queue.

I saw the feature for the first time a few weeks ago - one of those cult films that so many folks I know seem to love. And I really, really wanted to like it, but to be honest I found it a little... meh.

How is the series different from the feature - similar tone? Funnier? More absurd?
          Similar tone definitely. IMHO, funnier, hit the right marks more consistently, just as absurd.

Others are saying it was hit and miss. I think it definitely hit more in the first 3-4 episodes, then got bogged down by the abundant storylines (necessarily, as that's sort of expected with Wet Hot - but the result being less free association).

Agreed, though, that thank god for platforms like Netflix for willing to produce original content.

Showalter was a highlight for me. Expert at capturing that essence of older camp/campy movies and shows and satirizing it. I could be partial because I love Sleepaway Camp and the like. At least we know Wet Hot is funny on purpose.

In terms of what Wet Hot is going for, I think it was spot on. But the humor's not for everyone.

Comment

I thought it was horrible. Barely any laughs and a total waste of the cast, IMO.

Comment

The story line with the kids played by actual kids should've just been dropped. I lost all interest when the kids were on screen.

Yeah, Christopher Meloni is a comic genius.

It was clever in the way they came up with elaborate backstories for their characters in the movie.

Again, can't really express how happy it makes me this was made at all.

Comment

Loved it. The occasional dud but a lot of belly laughs in there.

Comment

I tried watching the film a week ago... couldn't get into it, turned it off.

Just watched the entire first season and liked it.

Weird.

Comment

The film is weird... it feels like it's a spoof about 1/3 of the time and a half-baked summer camp retread the rest of the time.

So weird that was 2001. Feels so 1995...

Comment

Working...
                    X