Query in the subject line (please do an autopsy)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query in the subject line (please do an autopsy)

I am very new to the board, as you are about to witness. I did an e-mail send out recently to around 80 agencies and management companies with the following subject line - Query: [script title] (comedy).

It was definately a range of places. Small, medium and large.

Exactly how bad did putting "query" in the subject line hurt my chances of having my query read? Thanks to any and all for their two cents!
    www.agentbait.com

Re: Query in the subject line (please do an autopsy)

Welcome to the board Big Z.

There is apparently a rumour - obviously unconfirmed- that agencies have spam filters with the most relevant words, e.g query, inquiry, submission, etc in their mechanisms.

I usually put just the title and no genre so they will go ahead open it and read it - it's up to them to reject it then based on the logline alone and not the genre.

As you will find out after a few hundred submissions that there isn't right or wrong. There are do's and dont's.

Carry on, stick to it and the best of luck

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Query - Title Name (Genre) is considered a basic subject, or just Title (Genre). Some companies actually filter emails with the word Query in its subject or body.

I changed all of my email subjects to read "Request of Information" or "An Inquiry". Even though, my last query I e-mailed went to Kevin Bacon's reps with the subject of "I wanna be Bacon'd!". I sometimes try to word query subjects to where the recipient is curious and wants to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by DBense18 View Post
        Even though, my last query I e-mailed went to Kevin Bacon's reps with the subject of "I wanna be Bacon'd!".
        No offense, but if I worked for his company and someone sent an email with that subject line, I'd delete it without reading.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
          No offense, but if I worked for his company and someone sent an email with that subject line, I'd delete it without reading.
          I hope you've never been Bacon'd! before.

Comment

Even though, my last query I e-mailed went to Kevin Bacon's reps with the subject of "I wanna be Bacon'd!"
            Out of curiosity... Did they ever reply?

Comment

Thanks. Some of them got through (a couple of small agencies replied to the effect it was "not for them" and I got same day script requests from Smart Entertainment and Avalon Management). This was all done early last week. Is there an amount of time, say after two or three weeks, I should assume the worst from those who don't respond? Thanks again and glad to be here!
              www.agentbait.com

Comment

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
                Out of curiosity... Did they ever reply?
                I don't know. I sent the email about two minutes from typing the reply in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Z View Post
                  Thanks. Some of them got through (a couple of small agencies replied to the effect it was "not for them" and I got same day script requests from Smart Entertainment and Avalon Management). This was all done early last week. Is there an amount of time, say after two or three weeks, I should assume the worst from those who don't respond? Thanks again and glad to be here!
                  I haven't figured that out yet... Some say one month and follow up while others say two months. There is the odd three months as well...

Who knows? Well, I don't.

Comment

I hope you've never been Bacon'd! before.
                    Thankfully, I haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Z View Post
                      It depends on a company by company basis. Some people will get back that day; others might surprise you two or three months from now. And once you get them your script, the waiting begins again in exactly the same way. There's just no real way to judge.

As to the initial subject question, I went with "For Your Consideration - TITLE" and it worked quite well. The key, though, was that I called everyone I queried first (who had a phone number listed) and asked who I could address the email to, even though I was going with the general email address provided on the website. Because of that, people were keeping an eye out for my email.
                      www.screenwritersleague.com

Comment

I used my tagline in the subject.

Got a lot of "No responses" and two polite "thanks, but no thanks".

But I did get a submission agreement contract. I signed and emailed it and my script.

Perserve, people.
                        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I just put the title of the script in the subject line now. I also have swirched to putting the synopsis in the body of my e-mail instead of a logline. We'll see if that leads to more requests.
                          www.agentbait.com

Comment

We have a bit of experience with this at ScriptStork and there is really not a right or wrong answer (other than to not put something really offensive as the subject line). The spam filters have gotten very sophisticated, and while some are filtering on the word "query," don't count on an email getting through just because you leave it out. For the companies that don't want anything from anyone, you're just not going to get through unless invited.

There really is a science to getting someone to read your query however. Interestingly enough, the less said the better. It has to be intriguing enough to make the reader take the time to read and want more. We think the query is a bit like a strip tease. Only show as much as you need to to get them excited. By the time you show everything, you want them committed. For those agents and producers reading this - we may be saying more than you want to hear, but I'm sure everyone here would appreciate your perspective on it.

Most importantly, keep at it and keep changing it in a controlled manner to see what works (and what doesn't). And don't be spammer. If you get an email asking you to stop sending emails, STOP. Don't make a pest of yourself and make an agent or producer hesitant to open their email. That make it worse for everyone.

Comment

I never spam. Every response I have received has been exceedingly polite I must say. Even in rejection. I always send a note back thanking them for their consideration.
                              www.agentbait.com

Comment

Working...
                              X