THIS will be the biggest flop of the year.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THIS will be the biggest flop of the year.

Favorite band. Seen them 9 times live.

New album out in 2011...after the new PERFECT CIRCLE comes out.
    sigpic

Comment

Favorite band. Seen them 9 times live.

New album out in 2011...after the new PERFECT CIRCLE comes out.

I actually got to see APC at the Avalon a month back or so. Phenomenal. As far as the new album goes, I'll believe it when I see it. I thought we'd finally get a new album in 2010...alas, it wasn't to be.

As always though, the album will be worth the wait.

Comment

"Reese Witherspoon's love-triangle romance "How Do You Know" was a dud with just $7.6 million, the Sony release opening at No. 8."

Yikes! Didn't even make the low estimate of $9m!

Cinemascore grade = C-

So the people who wanted to see it opening weekend (core audience) did not like it. Nor did the critics.

It's going to be a long road to profit.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Domestic is usually opening weekend x 4.

SPANGLISH - which had a better opening weekend - made $12m foreign. Total. Dramedies aren't an easy sell overseas.

I think the big lesson here is that a film's budget needs to match it's projected earning potential. Hey, if it makes more that projected - that's great! But if you have a story in a genre that usually doesn't make a lot of money, you need to dial back the budget. If the cast wants to work with Brooks, they have to take a pay cut so that the film can be made on a reasonable budget. Brooks' last film cost $80m and made $55m worldwide... so thiis film should have cost in the $25m-$30m range. At that budget, it would have been a break even film. I think break even films are fine - studios can do their summer money makers and still service niche audiences. But it gets crazy when they spend a bunch of money on a film *betting* on it selling more tickets than similar films.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            I was about to post WHAT IS THE MOVIE, DUMMY? When I realized that How Do You Know was the title, not a rhetorical question.

I totally forgot that movie existed.
            if you live in LA you've seen a million billboards for it already
            But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by reddery View Post
              if you live in LA you've seen a million billboards for it already
              And if you use Hulu, you get a million commercials for it, only they don't just run, you have to select which version you want to see. They're both awful, and I must have seen them half a dozen times before I realized that "How Do You Know?" was the name of the movie.

I don't understand how the timing was supposed to be a good idea. They had to have known through audience testing that this wasn't a hit, and to release it during the holidays -- with people's crazy schedules, crowds, traffic, and expenses -- this does not pass the "is this better than staying home with Netflix?" test.

Comment

Budget was the issue. $125 mill on a dramedy? ?? $20-30 mill tops.

I'm a big Brooks fan. Sad to see this one take such a nose dive.
                "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X