I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List

Originally posted by adam612 View Post
    MichaelB, if you're still reading this thread...

I'm not looking for you to download my script (not that I would turn it down) but you're the only one I have access to who can "see" all the scripts.

Mine is called "The Godpapa" and scored an 8 overall.

Would you have to a search by name to find it? Or since it's considered above average, is it easier to find? I just want to believe that I'm paying $25 for good reason.

It's probably not helping that genre is listed as NA (even though I know I entered comedy and have tried twice to submit a correction).

Thanks
    It was on the email list that went out today.

Best,

MB
    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
      It was on the email list that went out today.

Best,

MB
      Did your list vary much from this:

Sig, Whiplash, Putts, The Godpapa, A Marriage of Inconvenience.

I'm curious how truly "specific" to my stated preferences the email is.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post

This is interesting, to be able to tailor your list and such. It's like the Match.com of screenwriting sites, really.

Comment

Originally posted by adam612 View Post
          4 so far - you?
          Congrats! I'm still waiting for my reviews. I had two downloads today, so I'm assuming the reviews are in process.

Comment

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Originally posted by jetmetfan View Post
            Is that a serious question?
            Surely there's a thread somewhere on this forum clearly distinguishing the role of the manager from that of the agent. It's fairly clear what agents do: they put you up for assignments, acting in a legally defined and regulated capacity. It seems like a manager is the kind of thing a big-time writer might need, but what is the use of one at an earlier stage of a career? I'm sure they do something useful, I just have no idea exactly what it is, even though the topic has come up several times on Scriptnotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post

Mine had Whiplash, Putts, Lovesick, The Godpapa, and Ride to Vengence.

Best,

MB
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by jetmetfan View Post
                Is that a serious question?
                Uhm, for someone who is new to all of this -- yeah. And must your attitude be so nasty? We all know agents and managers that carry out the duties of both.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                  Mine had Whiplash, Putts, Lovesick, The Godpapa, and Ride to Vengence.

Best,

MB
                  Both of you had five recommendations. I wonder if that is the limit per preference or per email? Have either of you ever had more than five recommendations?

Comment

I don't know much about the business side of things, so maybe you're better off listening to those who have more experience in this area, but...

I've read some pages of this script... and given the genre & protag... I would say to look at the script as a writing sample, something to open doors, and proceed accordingly.

What I mean is, try to get meetings & relationships out of it.

And keep writing other stuff.

Continued good luck with it.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by coffeywriter View Post
                      Uhm, for someone who is new to all of this -- yeah. And must your attitude be so nasty? We all know agents and managers that carry out the duties of both.
                      I don't know what it is that makes some posts turn acerbic but I've chalked it up to it's a tough business and if a tone or attitude in a post gets to me, I just let it toughen me up for my swim with the sharks.

I have a manager and my general sense of the difference between a manager and an agent is that a manager manages your writing career, is very hands on, gives the nod to what he or she perceives to be the most marketable script ideas you have, reads drafts, gives notes, reads more drafts and works their contacts to get you meetings and/or assignments. When the iron's hot an ready to strike, an agent's just a read away. A manager can get you in as many doors or windows (tighter squeeze but any opening will do) as he or she knows how to open, but they cannot negotiate contracts and they are not licensed. An agent is licensed and can negotiate contracts, but is generally much less hands on, less interested in the process than the product. The key distinction is a legal one; what some agents do might resemble what some managers do, and what some managers do might resemble what some agents do, but only agents can legally negotiate contracts.

Comment

Just thought I'd jump in here for a second.

The Friday email includes scripts that received high scores (8+) in the genres and on the component scores that the industry professional member has expressed an interest in. I don't find it surprising that there's not all that much variety in Michael and Geoff's weekly emails. There's only so many scripts with high scores generally, and only so many genres and component scores (though we did add a number of genres interesting.)

Where things will vary quite a bit is in the recommendations our algorithm makes based on all of their ratings, the top 5 of which are included (just title and author) in every Monday email.

Comment

I believe attorneys can negotiate contracts too, because other attorneys write the laws and they're not going to go against their own kind.

Comment

Originally posted by jcpdoc View Post
                            I don't know what it is that makes some posts turn acerbic but I've chalked it up to it's a tough business and if a tone or attitude in a post gets to me, I just let it toughen me up for my swim with the sharks.

I have a manager and my general sense of the difference between a manager and an agent is that a manager manages your writing career, is very hands on, gives the nod to what he or she perceives to be the most marketable script ideas you have, reads drafts, gives notes, reads more drafts and works their contacts to get you meetings and/or assignments. When the iron's hot an ready to strike, an agent's just a read away. A manager can get you in as many doors or windows (tighter squeeze but any opening will do) as he or she knows how to open, but they cannot negotiate contracts and they are not licensed. An agent is licensed and can negotiate contracts, but is generally much less hands on, less interested in the process than the product. The key distinction is a legal one; what some agents do might resemble what some managers do, and what some managers do might resemble what some agents do, but only agents can legally negotiate contracts.
                            That's my experience also. My manager is hands on and in contact at least every other week. When I'm in LA, we meet for breakfast and usually talk for two hours about what I'm writing, and what I'm writing next, etc. My agent? I get him in 5 minute increments, and only when there might be an impending sale. He reads the final drafts, not in progress stuff. My manager reads everything.

The person who asked this question initially - coffeywriter? Why don't you post in Michael B's thread and ask him to explain what a manager does? His thread hasn't had many questions lately and I'm sure he'll give you some information we haven't - he's a working manager with a good rep. I think all newish writers benefit from having a manager. I probably would have had a heart attack had my manager not coached me through the near misses - the almost sales. Ergh.

Comment

I got 3 more downloads after the newsletter came out. Hoping Monday's bump is more dramatic...
                              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                                Not sure how actively they visit the site but my managers and their assistant are members of the site. They are open to reading good scripts as long as they are not biopics.
                                Yeah, why this particular bias? "Bio" covers a lot of real estate, from Lincoln, to The Pianist, to Gladiator (M. Auerelias and Commodos were real, even if Maximus wasn't), to The Aviator, Born on the 4th of July, etc., etc. So it's not like these movies don't get made and don't make money.
                                "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Working...
                                X