Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films with great "fake ally opponent" reveals

I'm looking for films that have executed the "fake ally opponent" reveal well. Which films have done it the best? Which films haven't done such a good job with it?

Also, what makes the reveal good or bad in your eyes? Any thoughts you all have would be appreciated.

Re: films with great "fake ally opponent" reveals

SPOILERS:

Like in THE 39 STEPS where the protagonist is on the run from the police and a gang of spies, and hides out with a Professor who believes that he is innocent of the murder he's been framed for and believes the whole story about the secret gang of spies and their leader - the protag tells the Professor that the spy leader is missing the tip of his pinky finger, and the Professor holds up his hand, "Like this?" then shoots the protag in the chest!

The only guy you can trust is the villain is kind of a standard in Hitchcock films. In FRENZY (playing at the New Beverly Cinema in a few days), the protag, Richard Blaney, is on the run - accused of being the Neck Tie Killer because the latest victim was Blaney's ex-wife. Blaney's friend Bob Rusk hides him and helps him out - knows that he's innocent. But the problem is - every woman in Blaney's life ends up a victim of the Neck Tie Killer! The reason why? Well, the real killer is his friend Rusk!

If you mean something else - you need to communicate it better. use a couple of films as examples.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

SPOILER ALERT ************************ (Actually, this whole thread, by definition, is a spoiler alert.)

He's probably thinking along the lines of the Da Vinci Code. Although a crap movie, it was the best example I could think of for the moment.

That's what you mean, isn't it, Jami?
      Last edited by nic.h; 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
        SPOILER ALERT ************************ (Actually, this whole thread, by definition, is a spoiler alert.)

He's probably thinking along the lines of the Da Vinci Code. Although a crap movie, it was the best example I could think off for the moment.

That's what you mean, isn't it, Jami?
        Same thing. UNBREAKABLE is a good example as well. Sam Jackson's character plays the role of mentor for most of the film until the M. Night "twist."
        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

I'm having trouble even remembering what happened in the da vinci code. But yeah, I mean when a character the audience thought was a good guy turns out to be a bad guy.

Comment

not too many hits on this one. i say, whatever you have in mind... go for it!

but i'm remembering... THE GAME with michael douglas fits the bill. very clever b/c we were duped right along with him.

Comment

This is something very near and dear to my heart. I LOVE these kinds of reveals.

That said, the standard technique of setting up the most trustworthy character has become maybe too standard. IMO, it has become a bit of a red flag because audiences have seen this used so often.

The trick, IMO, is to use that against the audience in some way. Use it as a red herring, or maybe use it as a double setup.

There's a movie called FLAWLESS with Demi Moore and Michael Cain that I think pulls the strings on this very well. Under appreciated movie, too.

Comment

The Firm also does this, from memory.
                sigpic

Website
                Tweets
                Book

Comment

in THE GODFATHER, when Al Pacino is in Italy with his new bride, and she wants to take the car out, and the "guards" turn and run the other way ...

Comment

Re: Films with great "fake ally opponent" reveals

Batman.
                    "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Minority Report

Comment

Something about Mary.
                        "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

LA Confidential
                          "Only nothing is impossible."
                          - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                            LA Confidential
                            Great example. That one keeps you guessing.

Comment

Jagged Edge

Saw it when I was a kid. Jeff Bridges freaked me out in it. Glenn Close finding the typewriter behind the towels was shocking.
                              Last edited by schnipple; 01-25-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X