Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you like to write?

What are your favorite places to write? Do you have a ritual or routine (listen to podcasts before hand; have a favorite snack)? How many hours do you write?

For those that write at coffee shops or tea shops, how do you deal with the problem of being a "squatter." Hard to find a comfortable place where you can spend a lot of time. And no, I hate writing at home.

Re: Where do you like to write?

I don't remember. I'm going to leave this forum and find out by actually writing something new. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Home mostly.

I've written in coffee shops before, but it's usually too difficult to find a choice spot, music is sometimes too loud, etc. When I did go, I always bought at least one drink. Overall, it's too much trouble and too dicey as to whether it will be conducive to writing.

Comment

Best place for me?: On the road.

Second best?: Outside.

...Um, that's it, I never write inside. I'm outside right now. Ha!

Idk how people do the "Write in my office thing." Can't do it.
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          I don't remember. I'm going to leave this forum and find out by actually writing something new. Good luck everyone.
          Dude, you keep sayin' that.

I have a desk that starts my day. By early evening i'll go outside to the patio and turn on the cool lights that make it all moody. I write. Listen to podcasts, masterclass, drink wine and listen to Don Lemon on CNN.

Sometimes i go to Starbuck's or cafe/wine bars. As long as i am undisturbed i do well. I try to isolate myself. my fav Starbuck's has this little nook that takes in the sunlight; it has an outlet, a shelf for books and seats two-- my back back and me.

unfortunately, i'm not the only one who wants to work in that spot.

i travel so i can write anywhere, in a hotel's cafe looking at the the chrysler building, steps of the eiffle tower, or poolside in LA.

prolly the most annoying thing is when people want to strike up a convo. it's like, dude, can't you see... i'm working here.

i don't feel bad, because there's always seats open and i buy ****. the cost of a caramel macchiato, strawberry acai refresher and mozz & sundried tomato panini, offsets the wi-fi and occupied space. haha

it's expensive writing in a cafe...
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
            Best place for me?: On the road.

Second best?: Outside.

...Um, that's it, I never write inside. I'm outside right now. Ha!

Idk how people do the "Write in my office thing." Can't do it.

How do you keep track of your laptop outside? A lot of people swipe those. How many hours do you write in each sitting?

Comment

My “writer’s nook” is a rented space in a city building a few miles from where I live. The distance is enough to keep me away from home all day but close enough not to be a lengthy commute. It is a great, open, carpeted space, with a table and chairs as well as a refrigerator, sink, and microwave, although I never use the kitchen area. It is more space than I need—something like 40’ by 40’— but I dream big, so maybe there is a reason for me to have it.

Writing away from home means for me that I cannot mess around with the pets, stream movies, or succumb to the temptations of the internet. There is a public WiFi available in the building, but I do not ever use any public WiFi signals.

Having a space other than home in which to write also helps me to treat writing both as work and as a job. On this, I believe we can all agree that it is both of those things.

Writers need a space of their own in which and from which to create, whether you designate a sacred space in your home as your “writer’s office” or you build a couch cushion fort in your basement where you can go to be alone with your thoughts and write.
              Last edited by Clint Hill; 10-04-2019, 07:32 PM.
              “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                Dude, you keep sayin' that.

I have a desk that starts my day. By early evening i'll go outside to the patio and turn on the cool lights that make it all moody. I write. Listen to podcasts, masterclass, drink wine and listen to Don Lemon on CNN.

Sometimes i go to Starbuck's or cafe/wine bars. As long as i am undisturbed i do well. I try to isolate myself. my fav Starbuck's has this little nook that takes in the sunlight; it has an outlet, a shelf for books and seats two-- my back back and me.

unfortunately, i'm not the only one who wants to work in that spot.

i travel so i can write anywhere, in a hotel's cafe looking at the the chrysler building, steps of the eiffle tower, or poolside in LA.

prolly the most annoying thing is when people want to strike up a convo. it's like, dude, can't you see... i'm working here.

i don't feel bad, because there's always seats open and i buy ****. the cost of a caramel macchiato, strawberry acai refresher and mozz & sundried tomato panini, offsets the wi-fi and occupied space. haha

it's expensive writing in a cafe...

I used to watch Don Lemon. I had to quit because I'd get sucked into two hour blocks -- there's always some madness going on in the White House.

Don't you find Starbucks kind of hostile towards "squatters"? I think I even read an article where they tried to get rid of them. If you're there longer than 4 hours, they start to notice.

Yeah, lol, one time a guy pointed out my research on my desk and I realized that he had been aware of me for hours. Makes you self conscious when you're trying to get work done. I actually hate telling me people I am there trying to write a script. I do have a ritual of listening to writer podcast while I eat before I start writing.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                  My "writer's nook- is a rented space in a city building a few miles from where I live. The distance is enough to keep me away from home all day but close enough not to be a lengthy commute. It's a nice space, and larger than I need, but I dream big, so maybe there's cause to have it. In the space I rent, there's a refrigerator, sink, and microwave, but I never use them.

Writing away from home means that I cannot mess around with the pets, stream movies, or succumb to the temptations of the internet.

All writers need a space of their own in which to create, I believe, whether you simply designate a sacred space in your home as your "writer's office- or you build a couch cushion fort in your basement where you can go with your keyboard and screen to be alone with your thoughts and write.

I don't write at home mainly because there's the temptation to take a nap or watch TV. I wish there was a way to replicate the cafe experience with the pop music and iced drink, minus the people. I wish I could be in a Parisian or Italian cafe, sip on something delicious and dine on something scrumptious as I think. The homeless problem has gotten a bit out of hand lately as I've seen them come in with used cups trying to get free refills or causing a disturbance with the customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                    I used to watch Don Lemon. I had to quit because I'd get sucked into two hour blocks -- there's always some madness going on in the White House.

Don't you find Starbucks kind of hostile towards "squatters"? I think I even read an article where they tried to get rid of them. If you're there longer than 4 hours, they start to notice.

Yeah, lol, one time a guy pointed out my research on my desk and I realized that he had been aware of me for hours. Makes you self conscious when you're trying to get work done. I actually hate telling me people I am there trying to write a script. I do have a ritual of listening to writer podcast while I eat before I start writing.
                    seriously? i've never had that feeling. but the few starbuck's i use, have kind of a steady stream of traffic. They seem nice. i buy something a ever once in a while.

here's what i'd do... get their names, learn them, so when you come in talk to them by name, ask them how they are? Get to know them... they'll like you in a hot minute.
                    Last edited by finalact4; 10-07-2019, 08:22 AM.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                      How do you keep track of your laptop outside? A lot of people swipe those. How many hours do you write in each sitting?
                      How? I have that look of "Touch my sh!t and you get knocked the fukk out, bruh..." Ha!

Hours? You don't wanna know. Tell you anyway. I do 12 hours minimum. Sometimes 16. Sometimes 20. On occasion 24, 48 or 72.

I DO NOT recommend my grind. I just hate sitting with this sh!t in my head for months. I lose my momentum/excitement. Let's wrap this sh!t up ASAP!

My last script I wrote in 48 hours. Only piss breaks.

It's my leftover work ethic (kill yourself doing it) from composing. In that world writing for 24-48-72 hours straight through to hit deadlines is status quo. Everyone seems to have a release date or festival deadline they need to hit. And the last thing anyone thinks of is "Ohhh shiiiiit... we need music, huh!?"

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        seriously? i've never had that feeling. but the few starbuck's i use, have kind of a steady stream of traffic. They seem nice. i buy something a ever once in a while.

he's what i'd do... get their names, learn them, so when you come in talk to them by name, ask them how they are? Get to know them... they'll like you in a hot minute.

I am friendly with most of them, but when it's a new crew (high turnover) I have to start over again. It's really the Supervisors more so than the barristas themselves. I think Corporate keeps track of how many refills customers have and how long the ones that camp out there are staying. There was this tea shop (I never go in there, but saw the sign), it says that it charges customers per 1.5 hours they stay there for an occupancy fee.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                          How? I have that look of "Touch my sh!t and you get knocked the fukk out, bruh..." Ha!

Hours? You don't wanna know. Tell you anyway. I do 12 hours minimum. Sometimes 16. Sometimes 20. On occasion 24, 48 or 72.

I DO NOT recommend my grind. I just hate sitting with this sh!t in my head for months. I lose my momentum/excitement. Let's wrap this sh!t up ASAP!

My last script I wrote in 48 hours. Only piss breaks.

It's my leftover work ethic (kill yourself doing it) from composing. In that world writing for 24-48-72 hours straight through to hit deadlines is status quo. Everyone seems to have a release date or festival deadline they need to hit. And the last thing anyone thinks of is "Ohhh shiiiiit... we need music, huh!?"

They usually wait till you run to the bathroom to swipe your stuff. I don't know why people leave their laptops and phones right there on the desk as they go to the bathroom.

Well, I wish there was a place that would let me sit there 12 hours. They never say anything, but you start to feel self conscious about staying there that long.

Comment

I take my laptop with me on piss breaks... ;-)

Yup, had my phone swiped last year. Turned to my lady at Surely Goat for like 5 seconds, turn back, phone swiped. Awesome! Now some stranger has 10,000 naked pics of my chick. Instantly grabbed my chicks phone to do "find my phone" Nope, they already turned it off. Fukker!

(Almost every puts their phone on the table/bar top. A phone their could steal 20 a night. I always keep mine in my pocket now.)

They need to make it where you have to enter the passcode to turn it off. Hmmmm... wonder why they don't do that? JOKING! Hi Apple, here to buy a new phone. "We were expecting you." I bet. "You want a case with that?" Yup, because you fukkers refuse to make a phone with a case already built onto it. Oh and, lost this phone in Uber the same day because I forgot to put the case on. Uber driver lied to me, said he didn't have it. Tracked it to his house. I was shocked he didn't turn it off. "Sup, go grab my phone, bruh! See how this app says it's right here?" Oh, yeah, guess you're right. Here it is in my house. (True story).

Don't get me started on Apple (like the chords they know all break in the same friggin spot!) See, I wasn't done complaining. Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                              Writers need a space of their own in which and from which to create, whether you designate a sacred space in your home as your "writer's office- or you build a couch cushion fort in your basement where you can go to be alone with your thoughts and write.
                              I don't really have a space like this, which is why I usually write late at night, when it's quiet. It has to be quiet. I have no idea how anyone could write at a coffee shop, but I know it happens a lot so, for some, it must be the ideal. Just not my ideal.
                              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X