Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any third movie best in the franchise?

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
    So humans, who have no natural defenses against the cold, are completely okay on Hoth, but you think fur-covered Ewoks would have a problem? Piffle.

Ewoks would be way better on Hoth than that abominable snowman would be on Endor.
    I suppose the Ewoks could've dug trenches and thrown snowballs at the At-Ats.

WTF did Ewoks wear clothes when Chewie never did?
    Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rathmon View Post
      Regarding ROTK- the dead army was as written in the book- not Deus Ex because it was set up that the one true king would be able to command the spirits... that's just another fantasy element thrown in by Tolkien. At least that's how I remember the book.
      I know it's from the book. I also know the one true king would be the one to call them to battle, etc.

Regardless, summoning an unkillable army to help you fight a battle against otherwise unwinnable odds is very, very close to the definition of a deus ex machina.

All said, it's still a damn good movie. Better than Jedi. Not as good as Empire.

Comment

Chewie wore clothes in the STAR WARS CHRISTMAS SPECIAL.

http://www.thisblogrules.com/2010/12...y-special.html

Plus he had a bandolier.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
          I know it's from the book. I also know the one true king would be the one to call them to battle, etc.

Regardless, summoning an unkillable army to help you fight a battle against otherwise unwinnable odds is very, very close to the definition of a deus ex machina.

All said, it's still a damn good movie. Better than Jedi. Not as good as Empire.
          I really just saw it as the characters returning from the cave with the dragon's sword...or whatever magical item they needed to win, because in the end, it wasn't the unkillable army that save them, it was the end around by Frodo.

But I do agree, when the dead army showed up I was emotionally drained and done with the film. That's the point, everytime I see it, that I start to tune out.
          "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
            I really just saw it as the characters returning from the cave with the dragon's sword...or whatever magical item they needed to win, because in the end, it wasn't the unkillable army that save them, it was the end around by Frodo.

But I do agree, when the dead army showed up I was emotionally drained and done with the film. That's the point, everytime I see it, that I start to tune out.

I think the deus ex machina problem could maybe have been reduced with more careful direction.

If I'm remembering correctly, when the undead army arrives, you mostly get a shot of them going through the ranks of the orcs like some kind of green tidal wave of ectoplasm. Instant Game Over.

Now if you'd had more shots of some of the orcs and super orcs (can't be bothered googling the correct name) being able to go toe to toe with the ghost army for a little while before finally falling, it might have seemed like a more balanced battle that the good guys eventually winning out in the end thanks to their unkillable allies. I'm thinking of something like the fight on the ship on the first PotC movie, where the undead pirates sneak onto the ship at the end. You know that there is only going to be one winner of that fight ultimately, but the human sailors do at least put up a fight.

Of course, that would have made an already long movie even longer...
            "Only nothing is impossible."
            - Grant Morrison

Comment

Super Mario Bros. 3 was also the best in the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                I think the deus ex machina problem could maybe have been reduced with more careful direction.

If I'm remembering correctly, when the undead army arrives, you mostly get a shot of them going through the ranks of the orcs like some kind of green tidal wave of ectoplasm. Instant Game Over.

Now if you'd had more shots of some of the orcs and super orcs (can't be bothered googling the correct name) being able to go toe to toe with the ghost army for a little while before finally falling, it might have seemed like a more balanced battle that the good guys eventually winning out in the end thanks to their unkillable allies. I'm thinking of something like the fight on the ship on the first PotC movie, where the undead pirates sneak onto the ship at the end. You know that there is only going to be one winner of that fight ultimately, but the human sailors do at least put up a fight.

Of course, that would have made an already long movie even longer...
                Yeah but to be fair PJ could have chopped half an hour of goodbyes from the movie and replaced it with... well just about anything; his gran knitting, grass growing, political debate, black screen???.

Almost any goodwill I felt towards ROTK was gone by the time the credits finally starting to crawl up the screen. I appreciate he spent years on this movie and wanted to give his characters a farewell but a big Matrix III* style rav would have done the movie more service; I just wanted everyone ****ing dead by the end.

*and there's another movie that doesn't belong anywhere near this list
                ________
                GLASS PIPE SET
                Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:35 AM.
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

In the theater during ROTK when Sam or Frodo or whoever said "But the story was not over" someone in the audience yelled out "Aw, really?"

We all laughed. That movie went on way too freaking long.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I was gonna post this, but I figured I better read the whole thread to make sure no one else had already said it! Gotta love Raimi.

Originally posted by Rathmon View Post
                    Army of Darkness!!!

Comment

Many think GOLDFINGER was the best Bond.

Comment

Shockingly nobody thinks Superman 3 with Richard Pryor is the best in that franchise!?

Comment

Originally posted by burbankjim View Post
                          Shockingly nobody thinks Superman 3 with Richard Pryor is the best in that franchise!?
                          If by best you mean "destroyed the franchise" then, yeah.
                          "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

King Kong vs. Godzilla is also legendary.

Comment

I also prefer Last Crusade over Raiders, but that's just preference. Police Academy 3 is the best of the series, but that's not exactly saying much.
                              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X