Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a dig

This is not a dig at Benioff, but can someone explain to me how he made it to the A-list so quickly?

Again, not a dig, I just don't understand how it works.

Comment

Re: Not a dig

Hype aside, David Benioff is a good writer.

Plus in a short period of time, he delivered scripts that went into production (25th Hour, Stay, Troy).

Plus for a writer, he's an incredibly hard working guy, good looking, and is in the inner circle.

He's as much of a golden boy as Scott Rosenberg and Shane Black were in terms of work ethic, looks, talent, and delivery of scripts that later went on to become movies.

Comment

Just to be clear

Just to be clear, I don't question his talent as a writer at all.

Cheers.

Comment

More A listers

Terry Rossio & Ted Elliot. (Shrek's, Mask of Zorro, Pirates of the Carribbean w/ deals for 2 & 3, etc...) and Terry just sold that 5M spec Deja Vu...with Bill Marsilii

yep -- that shoots them to the A list as well.

Comment

Re: Lesson for Pros

Your cat might've accidentally deleted the second "t" in "Elliott," too.

(I myself have a fairly common surname that is often misspelled, so I'm oversensitive to these things. )

Comment

Re: More A listers

Ron Bass

Comment

sigh...

And some of us wait (in vain, it seems) for a woman's name to appear on that list...

But that's for another day...and another thread...

LauriD

Comment

there are a number of big name females on the list like carrie fisher and nora ephron and jane campion, but you don't hear a lot about them.

Comment

Tao's posts and descriptions of what I term the "politics of dance" is quite consistent with just about any arm of the entertainment industry in general, certainly with the level of the biz I've been exposed.

Anytime you mix a lot of decision makers with a lot of money you will yield a lot of motives, personal agendas, bias, fear, and a Moses level miracle if it all actually moves in one direction.

Why did the coveted Beatles break up? Read the above paragraph again. The best laid plans lie dead in the dust. So it goes.

I remember when I met my first producer at a dinner. She's done I think 12 films, mostly quick box-office to DVD sexy action fare that sells overseas. I asked if she could say a one-line logline about Hollywood in general.

She said, "This town runs on FEAR". She returned to her soup.

Reality is a good thing, and thank you Tao for easily providing the most insightful posts on this site.

Comment

Well, if the town indeed runs on FEAR perhaps we spec writers should aim to be FEARLESS. The only other option would be to give up.

Comment

Absolutely.

And her point was:

Executives fear about making the wrong decision, losing a pile of money and getting fired.

Actors fear about never making any money, and when they do, afraid they are not being taken seriously and artistically, so they do it for practically nothing.

Producers fear about about the bomb that kills their credibility and financing for God knows how long. They are afraid to be like Mel Gibson, and now they are afraid they never will be.:smokin

Directors fear if they reach out with a new writer, it will go south, blow the budget, require a new writer, hold up production, piss off talent.

Readers fear they won't put "recommend" on the next "American Beauty". (like a bunch did not). Actually, readers probably have less fear than anyone.

Writers acquaintances fear that you're better than they are, or far worse, know you are.

I love the advice Bill Martell gives that says you know your work is ready when five people who hate your guts love your script. That means its so damn good they FEAR you are going to make the next level and forget them.:hat

Studios are afraid they'll miss out on the next "Titanic", but are afraid to finance it in case it isn't, so they go the safe route with "Alexander".

So you're right...dead right. Fearless...maybe "humbly fearless"

In any business, most people implode or quit JUST BEFORE success is about to breathe down their neck.

That's what they SHOULD be afraid of.

Comment

Which industries aren't run by fear? Just for quick examples, ad execs and Wall street traders are just as afraid of losing their jobs (and their fortunes) as studio execs.

Might as well just say "Captalism is fed by fear."

Everyone fears losing their job, no matter what industry they're in. Why is this treated as revelatory when it's applied to the entertainment industry?

Comment

"Fear is the mind-killer."

Comment

Good point....in all competition there is fear and DETERMINATION.

I believe in it.

Love DUNE. Watch out for the worm.....:eek

Comment

I think we should be fearless on a number of levels. Fearless
                                in our writing, fearless in our attitude, fearless even in the face of the incredible odds of breaking into the business. And
                                fearless when confronted with criticism and rejection.

I've looked at personalities who've made it in highly competitive creative arenas (art and music business). And, though I could clearly see that some who triumphed did not have more talent than those who failed, they did have a fearless attitude.

It wasn't an ego-inflated arrogance, it was a fearless determination combined with a form of emotional detachment while moving from point A to point B in the line toward success. It was a fearlessness that did not require the approval of others nor the pat on the head.

It's been said that to be successful you have to develop a mindset much like a force of nature. Like a wind, indifferent to all obstacles.

Comment

Working...
                                X