No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Austin Notifications

Originally posted by joereiter View Post
    i'm a second rounder, got a call from troy late last week chatting me up about the benefits of attending

i'm working out logistics but i'm 85% likely going right now
    I'm a second rounder and going to Austin. Might see ya there!

Due to being in Australia, I didn't receive any info on benefits to second rounders.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiechick View Post
      Due to being in Australia, I didn't receive any info on benefits to second rounders.
      You didn't miss much. A second rounder roundtable and discounts are the only real benefits that I can see. You still need a producer or conference badge to mingle with the Greats at the parties (again, the badges are discounted). You should call or shoot them an email to get the information.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
        You didn't miss much. A second rounder roundtable and discounts are the only real benefits that I can see. You still need a producer or conference badge to mingle with the Greats at the parties (again, the badges are discounted). You should call or shoot them an email to get the information.

HH
        Got the prod badge already. Thanks HH.

Comment

how many people make the second round? is it a big deal if you make it, or more of a pat on the back?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy3113 View Post
            how many people make the second round? is it a big deal if you make it, or more of a pat on the back?
            It's top 10%. In other contests, they call that the quarterfinals.

It's certainly a respectable showing, and worth mentioning in a query.
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

So to put it in perspective, Second Round is roughly the top 400 scripts out of 4000. Nothin' to sneeze at!!

Comment

that makes me feel a little better.

although, now i get inundated with daily emails telling me how much i can save if i sign up now for the festival. don't they understand how poor a struggling screenwriter is?

Comment

There are a lot of panels that are for second-rounders only. You can't get in to them even if you're a finalist. I think they're pretty good.

Comment

I received my feedback from AFF. I'm a second rounder and I have to say that although I'm honored to be in that group, I feel as though my scores fell on the lower side than they should have.

I'm not an objective party but in reading the evaluation which was glowing and then looking at the scores, something doesn't really add up.

Oh, well...

Comment

Kinda what Alex said, though my notes weren't glowing. I can only look at my score and think, "THIS made it to the Second Round? How much worse could the others be?"

By the way, for those curious, I was docked points 'cause I used "we see". Also, by the way, I used it once in the beginning for a very specific purpose. So let this be a lesson to those out there. And I still wouldn't change it.

HH

Comment

I got feedback on 2 of the scripts I submitted and thought it was at least sensible and well-written -- something I can think about and might be able to use.

In contrast, I've gotten feedback from other contests that was incoherent or flat-out wrong (wrong in the sense of saying someone was a character's father rather than brother, or other sloppy mistakes that suggest the person didn't read the script closely) and totally useless.

Since one of my scripts that only made the 2d round in Austin just won the Silver in Page, and another made the semi's in the Nicholl, it seems that Austin judges have different standards/tastes than the judges for these other contests -- but that's just par for the course. You learn from (expensive) experience which contests are most receptive to which scripts, and thus which ones you might want to enter again (or not).

In my experience, there is more variation between contests than there is between judges in an individual contest. For example, I had one script make the Nicholl semis 3 out of 4 consecutive years I entered (and top 30 two years in a row) -- even though I had different sets of judges each time. It also made the semi's in Page. This script didn't even make the first round in AAA or Big Break. So from this one might conclude that Page judges are more like Nicholl judges, and that AAA judges are more like Big Break judges.

And if someone has a bunch of time on their hands, they could collect data from all the contest entrants on DD, create a predictive model re what will do well where, and save us all a lot of money on fruitless contest entries.

This could even be a paid service, like MovieBytes.
                        Last edited by LauriD; 10-17-2010, 01:46 AM.
                        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Yeah. I got my notes as well and they were fine. Notes and numbers made sense. Wish I had have got 10's instead of 8's and 9's, though.

Still, I liked their view of what they got from the script. Also there was a comment about a very small detail in the script, which indicated to me that they HAD in fact read it all, properly. That was impressive as I too have had coverage done that almost sounded like the reader had skimmed over the script.

Comment

Awesome place to stay:
                            San Jose Motel and/or the Austin Motel. On S. Congress. You might need to rent a bike to zip down to the Driskill but it's a fun location. Near Güeros Taco Bar. YUM.
                            The Driskill is expensive but it's also haunted (or so they say) and has AWESOME gingersnap pancakes. You can and should get the pancakes even if you don't stay there.
                            Stephen F. Austin is across the street, equally expensive, that much closer to the Paramount and not haunted. No fancy pancakes.
                            Radisson is a bit further away but also a bit cheaper. It backs up to the river and you can watch the bats emerge at sundown.
                            There are also a few other hotels downtown, but the farther away you stay the farther away you are...
                            Best choice would be the Driskill, especially if you want to be sure you attend everything. There's a beautiful cowboy/Western themed bar and everyone hangs out there. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                              Kinda what Alex said, though my notes weren't glowing. I can only look at my score and think, "THIS made it to the Second Round? How much worse could the others be?"

By the way, for those curious, I was docked points 'cause I used "we see". Also, by the way, I used it once in the beginning for a very specific purpose. So let this be a lesson to those out there. And I still wouldn't change it.

HH
                              What kind of crap is that!?
                              "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

The kind that shows how out of touch with reality some contest readers are.

So disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                X