Idris Elba: The First Black James Bond???

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Idris Elba: The First Black James Bond???

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
    Nobody is arguing that the ethnicity needs to change, what some of us are arguing is that ethnicity is not an issue, and that Idris Elba would be great casting, not because he is black, and not despite the fact that he is black.
    And one would change the ethnicity of James Bond to be black rather than creating a new secret agent for Idris Elba to play because...?

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
      If ethnicity isn't an issue for you then why are posters here so upset that most people want to maintain Bond's ethnicity? It shouldn't matter to you either way.

It seems to me that the people who, for whatever reason, are clamoring for a black bond are

1.) Not actually fans of the series.
      2.) Mostly using this whole debacle as an excuse to display their sense of moral superiority.
      Are we going to start ascribing motivation to this discussion? Because I don't think you'll like what your argument has implied. I thought this was a writing board. As a professional writer, these kinds of concerns aren't academic. This is real world stuff, and believe me, you need to be able to cogently and compellingly defend your decisions to producers, executives, directors, etc.

You haven't, I'm sorry to say.

Comment

I have writing to do. Those of you who intend to continue might find this handy.
        Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Nobody is arguing that the ethnicity needs to change, what some of us are arguing is that ethnicity is not an issue, and that Idris Elba would be great casting, not because he is black, and not despite the fact that he is black.
          But as I said WAY too many pages ago this has become about ethnicity rather than Idris Elba. I am in favour of Elba getting the role. But he's not the part people are focusing on here.

Comment

I already, very early on in this discussion, outlined a way to explain all of this. It's not about "Bond," that could be a code name that comes with the 007 designation.

This is also a way to explain how 6 dudes have all been Bond. And there are more than enough areas a darker skinned agent could "go undercover" and be useful.

This shit is giving me a headache. You think anyone in HW gives a good god damn about Ian Fleming and his vision? Hell no! They haven't made him CIA and changed his name because it's a BRAND, and the brand is marketable. I don't think that brand is tied into skin color quite like some here think it is.

And that says a lot more about the people in this thread than the fictional character of James Bond, or Ian Fleming (and the other yahoos who wrote Bond novels).

Comment

If ethnicity isn't an issue for you then why are posters here so upset that most people want to maintain Bond's ethnicity? It shouldn't matter to you either way.

It seems to me that the people who, for whatever reason, are clamoring for a black bond are

2.) Mostly using this whole debacle as an excuse to display their sense of moral superiority.
              Bullsh*t. Nobody is clamoring for "a black Bond". We are saying Idris Elba would kick ass as Bond, and that has nothing to do with the color of his skin.

It's easy to feel morally superior reading this thread, I must say. But it's a consequence, not a motive.

Comment

Originally posted by dmizzo View Post
                Are you saying black people can't be Russian, or can't be nuclear scientists? There are tens of thousands of black men and women in Russia, and countless blacks who are scientists.
                Really? How many black Russian scientists do you know?

Comment

Are people really clamoring for a black Bond? I mostly just see people saying Bond COULD be black. I think clamoring is on the side of people who say he HAS to be white, because if he's not, then he's no longer Bond.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                    Is James Bond a real person?
                    I made this point earlier. This shit is insane.

Comment

It doesn't matter. There. Someone said it.

No one cares. It's a movie. It's people playing pretend. Black or white, it doesn't matter. It's not a character or a series of films that have anything to do with race. To argue about the race of a character whose race is ultimately meaningless is... well, meaningless.

Comment

Actually, seems that some here are arguing that. That if the producers continue to cast white guys to play Bond, the only explanation is that there's 20th century/racist forces at play.

As I've said, I don't care about the actor's race. I do think there's lots of white-helicopter thinking exhibited in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                          It doesn't matter. There. Someone said it.

No one cares. It's a movie. It's people playing pretend. Black or white, it doesn't matter. It's not a character or a series of films that have anything to do with race. To argue about the race of a character whose race is ultimately meaningless is... well, meaningless.
                          I kinda thought I was the someone who'd been saying that.

Comment

Hmmm, not sure I agree Elba embodies that Bond charisma. To me, he's more East London grit. Then again, I didn't think Craig would make a good Bond either but he's been great. I always thought Clive Owen would make a good Bond.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                              And one would change the ethnicity of James Bond to be black rather than creating a new secret agent for Idris Elba to play because...?
                              BECAUSE THE JAMES BOND FRANCHISE IS BANKABLE. This is a business, do you guys not get that? Putting a new, fresh spin on a BANKABLE FRANCHISE makes sense.

Creating a rip-off character with no proven IP or fanbase and trying to build that bankability from the ground up is not what a studio would prefer to do - especially if the only fallout to the new, fresh spin is that a few latent white supremacists on messageboards get their knickers in a wad.

Comment

Well, that's going too far. I have to put my foot down: do not use Kurosawa's name in vain, you guys.

(Akira, of course, not Kiyoshi, although Kiyoshi is an outstanding filmmaker but nowhere near Akira.)

Comment

Working...
                                X