No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cars 2

Originally posted by Han Shot First View Post
    What Pixar does is commendable, but it must also be understood that this is not filmmaking in the classic sense. Pixar movies are made made in a perfectly controlled laboratory. Performances that are not good can be re-made in said lab until they are good. Scripts can be rewritten after the movie is "shot" to satisfy the shortcomings of the filmmaking process. Weather is never an issue, nor is travel, nor are foreign tax rebates and tax credits or visual effects capabilities and budgets. Pixar controls the means of production -- very well, mind you -- but it is controlled. To compare what they do to other studios who have to deal with all of the above is, at the very least, unrealistic.
    Another thing that helps their track record is having STRONG LEADERSHIP. The ppl at the top seem to know what they're doing in terms of organization and storytelling. They have their sh!t wired tight! (in PLATOON parlance)

Just too add... i think Pixar does display a certain type of craftsmanship in their storytelling (obviously), but I'm not a huge fan of their connect-the-dots, wrap-it-in-a-pretty-bow style. I know some of that style has to do with making family oriented films... but I find their storytelling too predictable & trite.

I've mentioned my criticisms in the past, so i'll just leave it there.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by Han Shot First View Post
      What Pixar does is commendable, but it must also be understood that this is not filmmaking in the classic sense. Pixar movies are made made in a perfectly controlled laboratory. Performances that are not good can be re-made in said lab until they are good. Scripts can be rewritten after the movie is "shot" to satisfy the shortcomings of the filmmaking process.
      Isn't that true of any film, with multiple takes, pickups, reshoots, etc.?
      Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
      Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
      Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

Try arguing this with four kids under 12.

My five year old is sleeping in his Lightning McQueen hat and Jacket at the moment, awaiting when we got to see this at our local theatre ( probably tomorrow).

While they may not always make prefect movies, Pixar's devotion to entertainment and details always astounds me. UP is a movie that by all accounts doesn't work on paper, but by the time the opening montage is done, you are already hooked for the ride ( once you clear the lump from your throat).
        Half a bubble off level... systems normal.

Comment

By far the weakest offering by Pixar to date. While the kids loved it, this was a film with an identity crisis. McQueen taking a back seat to Mater, was fine, but I was expecting more a buddy movie than what we got.
          Half a bubble off level... systems normal.

Comment

Wow, never seen a pixar film get bad reviews before. This ones coming in really low on rotten tomatoes.
            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

It's certainly not up to Pixar's standards, but it's still more logical and entertaining than a vast majority of everything else you see in the cinema these days.

Comment

Working...
              X