No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Remake Of A Film?

Originally posted by sasqits View Post
    "Glossy" is a legitimate complaint depending on the genre, particularly horror and drama. Tone and atmosphere are diminished when the gloss is present, in my respectful opinion of course.
    True to some degree but that doesn't negate my point - which was that the fanboys of the original used such terms because they assumed it was a typical US remake instead of being a very faithful remake. No one could watch LMI and think it's a typical US film, appeal to the mass market, film.

Some have watched it and still, bizarrely, believe the original to be way, way, way better. Fair enough. But there are others who just attack it because it's a remake, and throw the untruths at it because they generally hold true for most American films.

Where I think your statement isn't true is the basic equasion of gloss = lack of atmosphere/tone. There are phenomenally atmospheric films with no gloss, such as Halloween (but also a host of bad ones) and there are phenomenally atmospheric films with lots of gloss, like The Thing (as well as plenty that stink). The truth is that a good film is good, regardless, and the same holds for a bad film.

With all due respect to the original, it now looks cheap and dated. Whether the film turns out to be good, the effects and look will undoubtedly be a step up.
    It does except for Bottin's Arnold face effects.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
      Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
      Anyone who appreciates the greatness of the original TCM needs to do everything in their power to avoid this remake, for it, like Zombie's Halloween, takes everything that made the original so great...and literally does the exact opposite.

The Dawn of the Dead remake, however, I loved. And I loved The Last House on the Left even more.

I will add:

Ransom
      Insomnia (Nolan's best film)
      True Lies
      War of the Worlds

Comment

The same fanboys also never gave TCM and DotD a chance either and came out with similar negative sentiments before the films were made, before they saw them, whilst they were watching, and afterwards too.
        I was hanging out at the George Romero board when the DotD remake was announced. You could torture dogs at the pitch of the squealing. But when the actual movie came out, the noise died down and most everyone there copped that it was pretty damned good. A few diehards, of course.

I'm a pretty hardcore Romero fan (I actually like Diary and Survival), but in a lot of ways, I actually prefer the remake.*

*Kinda weird, but as I've gotten older, I have less patience for existential navelgazing.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Brilliant '78 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers was at least equal to the original, and a hell of a lot better special effects, of course.

"Uh" to the '93 remake/rehash, though.

It's like in '78 it was made for adults, but the one in '93 was for teens.

Comment

The same fanboys also never gave TCM and DotD a chance either and came out with similar negative sentiments before the films were made, before they saw them, whilst they were watching, and afterwards too. It's also ongoing right now with Fright Night.
              What I find most humorous about Horror movie "fanboys", is that they will bitch and whine about a remake until your ears start to bleed, but will then be the first in line the night the film opens.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                Brilliant '78 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers was at least equal to the original, and a hell of a lot better special effects, of course.

Excellent Catcon! I completely forgot about that, even though it's one of my favourite films. I concur about the '93 version too. Ugh!

The '88 Blob was a romp too. And the '59 version of Imitation of Life.

I think they seriously dropped the ball with The Day The Earth Stood Still. That was ripe for a remake but alas...

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post

I'm so glad someone finally mentioned this. So moody and claustrophobic. Fantastic remake. And that final moment with Donald Sutherland and Brooke Adams....whoa, sh!tballs!!!

Comment

True Lies

The Hollywood version gave it the big over-the-top sequences that the original French film really yearned for.

Mac
                    New blogposts:
                    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

True Grit.

My dad is the biggest John Wayne fan ever, so I saw a lot growing up. But Jeff Bridges was wonderful as Rooster Cogburn.
                      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Never saw the original Ocean's 11, but I loved the remake.

Comment

Wizard of Oz
                          The Thomas Crowne Affair
                          True Grit
                          Sabrina
                          Let Me In
                          The Ring

Comment

Where I think your statement isn't true is the basic equasion of gloss = lack of atmosphere/tone. There are phenomenally atmospheric films with no gloss, such as Halloween (but also a host of bad ones) and there are phenomenally atmospheric films with lots of gloss, like The Thing (as well as plenty that stink). The truth is that a good film is good, regardless, and the same holds for a bad film.
                            I agree, I should have been more clear and thorough in my post.

Gloss doesn't ruin an otherwise good film but it can add or detract from the tone/atmosphere depending on genre, setting and/or period.

Comment

Kong
                              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
                                Wizard of Oz
                                The Thomas Crowne Affair
                                True Grit
                                Sabrina
                                Let Me In
                                The Ring
                                +1 for The Thomas Crown Affair.
                                Does Batman Begins count?
                                Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group